Wonderful Gesture!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On my recently completed TE/CS trip, while on the platform at San Jose, my uncle and I got into a conversation with a gentleman who, in the course of conversation, mentioned he'd written a couple of books about Amtrak. A bell rung in the back of my head, and I wondered if this could be the same man who wrote, several years ago, the book "AMTRAKing", but couldn't remember the name. I thought nothing of it until we met up with this man again, this time at the Klamath Falls platform. My uncle asked if he was selling any of his books, and it turns out he was. We bought a couple of books from him, and as it turned out, it was indeed Mauris Emeka, who wrote AMTRAKing in 1994. What a thrill to meet him!. The book he was selling was "Heart and Soul of the Train". I asked him if he happened to have any copies of AMTRAKing, and he got my name and address and said he'd send me one if he had any available. Sure enough, today I received in the mail his AMTRAKing book. Autographed even! He could easily have asked for money ahead of time, which I'd have been happy to pay, but he trusted me to send a check for the book once I received it. Very trusting! Of course I've already prepared the return envelope with his payment in it, but wonder if he'd gotten burned by this before.

At any rate, it was thrilling to meet him! Just one of the great things about train travel: the people you meet! :)

Glad that you met him! It's one of the great things about traveling by train!

Always great to meet the author of a good book.
Do I qualify? Every trip I take I book myself - and I very good at that!
laugh.gif

I would have loved to meet this guy! I have both his books and always loan out AMTRAKING to newbies about to board their first LD trip. What is he doing now?

He's living in Bremerton, WA, and is still writing. Along with his two Amtrak books, he's written three books about cancer and how diet and lifestyle changes can help prevent cancer. He still travels the rails every chance he gets, promoting his books and other writings, and is involved in many humanitarian efforts. He's still very active!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back