Lake Shore Limited Diversion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Today #48 and #49 diverted via the old NKP route between Buffalo and Elyria due to CSX derailment at Ashtabula. Naturally they were running many hours late. Apparently #48 waited at Elyria until 49 got there to deliver the pilot to take #48 east.

See http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,2251115

#48 is due Albany 8:58 pm and Penn Station 11:09 pm

#448 is due Boston Tuesday at 1:54 am

This is CSX's second derailment in as many weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on 48 working in the diner and we didnt get to nyp until after 12 mid.

CSX cannot keep there trains on the tracks,And people used to call amtrak offtrack.
Derailments are PART of railroading. I'm certainly not sticking up for them, but when you run as many trains as CSX does, EVERY DAY, they are just inevitable. Most of them are never "public", just yard or branch line incidents, where the only reporting is to the FRA, and the RR re-rails the car(s) themselves.

Now, derailments on a Class 3, 4, or class 5 track are totally another story. If all of the guidelines are followed, there really shouldn't be any derailments, but, there are.

Agreed, derailments are part of life. Here's a quick rundown for the first 5 months of this year from FRA data:

BNSF - 126

CN - 14

CP - 3

CSX - 82

KCS - 10

NS - 20

UP - 50

Amtrak - 57

Notes: CN & CP data is for US derailments only. Additionally it's important to note that some RR's move more trains than others, which means more chances of derailments occurring. And all derailments reported are included, without regard to whether they occurred on mainline track or in a yard or on some secondary/tertiary track.

If I remember right, there is a minimum dollar amount below which no reporting is required. Due to any passenger derailment no matter how minor proably exceeding this minimum, I wouls suspect that a larger portion of Amtrak derailments make the list than freight derailments.

Given the similarity in size and territory between NS and CSX, that difference is interesting.

I am amazed that BNSF is leading the list. I would have expected them to have a much smaller number than given here.

George,

Just to make things a bit more even and representative, here are the numbers for the full year of 2009.

Amtrak - 35

BNSF - 312

CN - 39

CP - 13

CSX - 200

KCS - 33

NS - 157

UP - 312

So either NS has made some major safety improvements or they've just been lucky so far this year. And UP and BNSF are interestingly tied, again indicating that either UP has been lucky so far or they've made some great strides. Or perhaps their business is just down from what BNSF is seeing.

And clearly Amtrak is having a bad year this year. :eek:

well the reason everyone bashes CSX is cause they don't maintain nothing. There's a difference between BNSF and CSX when it comes to maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back