Amtrak First Timer on the Adirondack to Montreal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FuadS

I couldn't find a comprehensive list of tips for this train, so figured one list would be beneficial to myself and others in the future.

I am taking this round trip during Apr from NYP to MTL. Just wanted to get any suggestions from the pros.

Where should I sit? Left middle window seems to be the common theme.

Time to get there? Depart at 8:15...be there by 7:15?

Power ports. Might be on all seats...might be a couple in the whole box.

Wifi. nope

Refreshments. Single cart with expensive snacks

Dome viewing car. Maybe. Can we sit there the duration of the trip?

Pillows. Amtrak provides them. Are they the flimsy airline kind? bring my own?

I will be bringing my GPS. Might make the trip more interesting.

Entire train is coach seats only. Yes?

I couldn't find a comprehensive list of tips for this train, so figured one list would be beneficial to myself and others in the future.
I am taking this round trip during Apr from NYP to MTL. Just wanted to get any suggestions from the pros.

Where should I sit? Left middle window seems to be the common theme.

Time to get there? Depart at 8:15...be there by 7:15?

Power ports. Might be on all seats...might be a couple in the whole box.

Wifi. nope

Refreshments. Single cart with expensive snacks

Dome viewing car. Maybe. Can we sit there the duration of the trip?

Pillows. Amtrak provides them. Are they the flimsy airline kind? bring my own?

I will be bringing my GPS. Might make the trip more interesting.

Entire train is coach seats only. Yes?
YIKES! I'm taking that BACK from Montreal on the 22nd of April. No Lounge car, yuck.

I thought the dome only ran during the fall colors, hope I'm wrong on that.

I'd like to hear some "tips from the pros" too.

There is always a lounge car, an Amfleet I cafe car. No cart however, you must walk to the cafe car for service.

And the dome does indeed only run on this train during the fall leaf color change months.

No pillows are provided, it's not an overnight train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, we (husband and I, Australians) took the Adirondack from Montreal to NYP last October (peak fall colours). Hope you do better than us, it was very disappointing, for the following reasons:

We had to use seats with no view of the outside world at all (maybe 5% vision). Be ready for this. Halfway down each car on both sides are two seats next to a blank wall, so that you cannot see out. The train was fully booked and we were too slow to realise we should sit separately if we didn't want to look at a blank wall for 12 hours.

There was no dome car at all, despite this being advertised.

As the train was packed, I had to queue for over an hour to obtain "food" and drink. This was no easy task on a moving train, there would be some who couldn't manage this. The conductor closed the cafe on several occasions, often for no obvious reason. It will be closed crossing the border, of course, that is understandable. I was lucky, but people 3 spots behind me, who had also queued for an hour were told "bad luck, go away". Anything decent in the way of food sold out immediately, anyway. I would suggest that you bring substantial food yourself, if it matters to you. I thought we would get more than a microwaved burger. At the least we should have been warned at the ticketing desk before leaving. The conductor and his young lady assistant spent the entire hour that I queued chatting happily in a seat in the "cafe" while the cafe assistant worked at 150%. He did a great job and passengers showed their appreciation by tipping. The other two completely ignored the situation, I'm not sure what they did to receive a wage, let alone a tip.

The left side of the train leaving Montreal has great views of lakes (one benefit of queuing for an hour, I saw something) and the right side river views coming into New York, although it could be dark then.

The bathrooms were not user friendly for most of the journey. It is apparently not in the job description of the on-board staff to do anything about this. How hard is it to gather up a plastic bag of paper towel and replace it with an empty one, so that passengers are not knee deep in used paper towel? I leave the smell to your imagination. There is a longer stop at a station about 2 hours outside NY, forget the name, where there is food and toilets available, most passengers queued there for either (or both, if they were really lucky).

Be aware there are no Amtrak ticketing machines in Montreal, you will need to go to the desk. There are some good food outlets there.

One hilarious note, when leaving the train at Penn Station, a lady from Florida, who said she had been to NYC several times, was quite alarmed at the thought of using an escalator. She asked me if I thought it would go up or down! As it seemed to me that we were about as far underground as anyone would want to go, I guessed it would probably go up. She started yelling at her husband about this.

On a happier note, we had further excellent trips on Amtrak to Boston, then to Portland on the Downeaster, so it wasn't all bad. Hope it goes well for you.

Further to my previous post, in addition to no dome car, there was no lounge car, as suggested by AlanB, on our trip. Just 3 (maybe 4) coach cars with the cafe car roughly in the middle. The people occupying the seats/tables there pretty well stayed there for the duration. Not sure why anyone would suggest the "left middle seats" to you, unless you don't want to see out, they are the worst ones. It is the same on both sides.

Where should I sit?
Going northbound, between NYP and ALB - the left side because it follows the shore of the Hudson River. (Southbound is the right side.)

Going northbound from Whitehall to Plattsburgh - the right side because it follows the shore of Lake Champlain. (Southbound is the left side.)

There is an hour between Albany and Whitehall. ;)

I've taken the Adirondack a handful of times, once Montreal to Croton-on-Hudson, NY, and a few times between Port Kent, NY and various points south.

All in all, it's my favorite train in the northeast. While it doesn't offer much in the way of amenities (you do have a lounge car, but no dome 99% of the year, the seats are Amfleet I, etc), the scenery is just absolutely beautiful from Plattsburgh, NY until a bit before Whitehall, NY. You snake your way along the shores of Lake Champlain, giving you a stunning view of the lake and the Green Mountains (as long as the weather is clear). Sure, the dome car made it all the more impressive, but I've been on it several times without it and it was wonderful nonetheless.

In the summer, it does get crowded. I was once stuck on a completely sold out train in a car with a baby who screamed without pause for close to an hour and a half (finally, an unrelated older woman came over and quieted the baby down - the mother seemed disinterested in even trying to attempt this herself). I tried to find another seat somewhere on the train, but had absolutely no luck. For whatever reason (this was fairly early in my train riding career) it didn't occur to me to escape to the lounge car.

Perhaps its just the fact that anything other than the Vermonter is always an exciting change of scenery for me, but I really do enjoy the Adirondack. I highly recommend you give it a try. In my experience, you should have power outlets at every seat. And sit anywhere on the left side of the train for a southbound journey, and on the right for a northbound.

Further to my previous post, in addition to no dome car, there was no lounge car, as suggested by AlanB, on our trip. Just 3 (maybe 4) coach cars with the cafe car roughly in the middle. The people occupying the seats/tables there pretty well stayed there for the duration. Not sure why anyone would suggest the "left middle seats" to you, unless you don't want to see out, they are the worst ones. It is the same on both sides.
Jean, just to clarify, the "lounge" and the "café" are one in the same, at least as far as this thread is concerned. Many folks refer to the cafe as the lounge car, in other words. As for the dome being advertised in October, it was only running on certain days of the week in certain directions (Amtrak has only 1 dome car in service today, so it can only run on one train at a time). Odds are you caught one of the trains without the dome; when you passed the other Adirondack going in the opposite direction, the dome most likely zoomed past you.

Rafi

Great responses guys!

I am planning on taking plenty of snacks.

I depart at 8:15...planning to be at the station by 7:15. From what i am reading, the entire train is just 4-5 cars? Which car should I aim for and where in the car should i sit? I plan on rushing on-board to ensure i have a plug-in. i tried looking online for what the train looks like and this is what i think it is

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/travelog...303A/153-17.jpg

Additionally, what are the chances for lengthy delays?

Great responses guys!
I am planning on taking plenty of snacks.

I depart at 8:15...planning to be at the station by 7:15. From what i am reading, the entire train is just 4-5 cars? Which car should I aim for and where in the car should i sit? I plan on rushing on-board to ensure i have a plug-in. i tried looking online for what the train looks like and this is what i think it is

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/travelog...303A/153-17.jpg

Additionally, what are the chances for lengthy delays?
I'd go for the right hand side. And maybe move to the cafe car, and snag a table B4 the lake. Remember, if there are ppl sitting at a table, just SMILE, and sit right down with them.

I will be travelling from Montreal to new York on April 21st. Does anybody knows if theres power outlets available in the train?

Tip: the last coach or two (on the end of the train) have more legroom since they're Amfleet II, not Amfleet I. If you're going all the way to Montreal, big difference. Generally, the number on the outside of the car (and on the doors to the car) will start with '25' instead of '8'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over 10 years ago, I took the Adirondack from NYP to Platsburg in early September. The train was not crowded at all and we were able to sit on the left when we were traveling along the Hudson River and then move to the right when were traveling right next to Lake Champlain. The scenery was magnificent.

Tip: the last coach or two (on the end of the train) have more legroom since they're Amfleet II, not Amfleet I. If you're going all the way to Montreal, big difference. Generally, the number on the outside of the car (and on the doors to the car) will start with '25' instead of '8'.
The crew will actually place anyone going to Montreal into the 2 Amfleet II cars for that reason. They'll direct everyone else to the other cars on the train. Most crews seem to enforce the rule of no non-Montreal bound passengers in the AMF II's, even if they aren't sold out with Canada bound travelers. And all passengers crossing the border must be in those two cars, Canadian customs will only allow those 2 cars to be occupied during the inspections; all other cars are empty (save for crew) as the train crosses the border.

Similar tactics are employeed on the Maple Leaf too, although there the Business Class section is also allowed to be occupied in addition to the 2 AMF II cars.

Alan, if I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, does Amtrak not sell more two Amfleet IIs worth of tickets to Montreal on each train? I would think it would make sense for Amtrak to sell whatever seats are available once the Amfleet IIs are sold out.

There was no dome car at all, despite this being advertised.
There is only ONE dome car in Amtrak's rolling stock. It runs on the Adirondack northbound from Albany to Montreal ONLY on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. and Southbound ONLY on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday. The other days of the week in the opposite direction, and on Wednesday in either direction, there is no dome car at all on the train. (BTW - It states this in the schedule.)

Last year, I traveled north on Monday and south on Tuesday - and had the dome both ways. BTW - there is no power outlets in the dome.

Maybe you just traveled on the day in the direction it did not operate.

Alan, if I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, does Amtrak not sell more two Amfleet IIs worth of tickets to Montreal on each train? I would think it would make sense for Amtrak to sell whatever seats are available once the Amfleet IIs are sold out.
The Amfleet II cars can carry 59 passengers, which means that Amtrak only puts 118 seats into inventory for points north of the border. Once those 118 seats are sold, the train will show sold out to Montreal or St. Lambert. Amtrak cannot sell seats in the Amfleet I cars to either stop north of the border.

This isn't an Amtrak decision; Canadian Customs won't allow more than 2 cars to be occupied. Even on days in the fall when the dome car is added to the consist, passengers must leave the dome at the last US stop to be in one of the two AMF II cars for customs.

All of the above would change if the Adirondack were redirected to Lucien-L'Allier instead of the current terminous at Central Station. If this reroute goes through, the Adirondack would then operate much like the Cascades service to Vancouver, with no intermediate stops within Canada and customs would happen after you step off the train in Montreal. At that point Amtrak would be able to sell as many seats as it could to passengers going to/from Montreal.

Of course given the current shortage of AMF II cars, that could make for a very long day in an AMF I seat if you're not lucky enough to get into the AMF II cars.

the latest comments are 2011. any improvements since then? We're hoping to travel via Adirondack June & July 2013

I thought the cafe crew was great. Wear as little clothing as possible as this will make the northbound full strip search at the boarder go much quicker for everyone on board.

Are the Customs procedures different on the Adirondack and Maple Leaf?

When boarding in Canada, do you actually board an Amtrak train?

Are the boarding procedures disorganized in Montreal and do the

Business Class passengers board separately from coach in Toronto?

the latest comments are 2011. any improvements since then? We're hoping to travel via Adirondack June & July 2013
No changes since then.

Border checks in both directions are on the train (unlike on the Maple Leaf where at least northbound you have to get off the train at Niagara Falls ON for border inspection). Northbound the inspection is at Lacolle near the raod checkpoint, where CBSA agents come on board the train and do the inspection. It is mostly ask a few questions, look at Passport and be on your way. Similarly southbound US CBP does the inspection at Rouses Point, again on board the train. I have never heard of anyone being strip searched at those border inspections.

Boarding in Montreal is pretty organized. The boarding line is usually quite long, and it is a good idea to get to the station a good one hour before departure to grab a position near the front of the line.

BTW, Canada and US are working on moving the border inspection for the Adirondack to the Montreal Central station, but it is not likely to come to pass until late 2014 at the earliest. When that happens the St. Lambert stop outside Montreal will be discontinued, and the Adirondack will run clsed door between montreal Central and Rouses Point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back