Three in a Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vagabond

Train Attendant
I'm planning a relatively short one-zone trip this summer (San Jose to Salt Lake City) and would like to introduce two of my friends to train travel. A Bedroom would be perfect as we can take turns napping/sleeping while waiting for the scheduled 3:45 AM arrival time. I have about 60,000 AGR points.

When I go online and click on Room Details for the Bedroom it says “Our Bedroom is ideal for two passengers (but can accommodate three) ...”. When I try to book for 3 people it won't let me, saying there is a limit of two passengers.

Will I have better luck calling AGR? If not, what is the meaning of “(but can accommodate three)”? Could I, for example, book the Bedroom for two (AGR) and a coach ticket (non AGR) for the third then have the third come visit?

You can't book bedrooms online with AGR, so you'll have to call no matter what.

I'm not sure if AGR will let you book three, even though Amtrak would let you do it, so you might have to book two into the bedroom and then use points to put the third into coach. If the first agent refuses, hang up and try again however, before resorting to the option of booking a coach ticket.

AGR won't let you book 3 in a bedroom anymore. You will have to buy a coach ticket for the third person. But when you board the train tell the conductor you have a third person on the ticket and AGR wouldn't let you add for some "technical reason". They should have no problem letting all three stay in room and get all meals included.

Back