Amtrak Charter Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TransitRider

Service Attendant
Have everyone experinced doing charter business with Amtrak in the past?

I am planning in works to have several charter train service in Florida with Amtrak and I want some suggestions and feedback how to make this sucessful.

I am nervous but have faith!

Thanks!

If my understanding is correct. Amtrak is not permitted to lose money on charters. With moves to place equipment and associated costs plus all allocated costs into the trip, the estimated cost may knock your socks off.

See if you can get a preliminary estimate before going too far down the road.

If my understanding is correct. Amtrak is not permitted to lose money on charters. With moves to place equipment and associated costs plus all allocated costs into the trip, the estimated cost may knock your socks off.
See if you can get a preliminary estimate before going too far down the road.
I already been in talks with Amtrak Charter staff and got the quote as estimate and the people who will ride the train will pay the ticket and all of the funds will go directly to Amtrak.

I got one example quote from Tampa, Florida and goes all way up to Winter Park, Florida for 5 cars and one lounge and a one locomotive would cost me $29,500. Other one from Tampa, Florida to Miami, Florida with 5 cars and 2 diners quoted me for $42,000.

5 coaches comes to approx 350 people so the ticket per person is approx $85 per person. Impossible to reach the $25 price range if I have big sponsors but due to this bad economy is hitting us right now. But never know, anything is possible.

Amtrak never lost money on charters, I was told they profit almost close after spend on other bills to run the charter trains. Don't forget that if I am hosting the charter train, the money we will be paying also goes to CSX because I will be using their tracks as well.

I also was told I am limited to 5 coaches and 1 lounge and nothing else. I did gave a quote if I want run from Miami to New York City, the price tag is $98,000.

Charter aren't cheap these days and they are pricey!

Well you have to consider the outlays Amtrak has to make for the slots with CSX, and also positioning. If you wanted two diners and five coaches, odds are these would have to be brought in from elsewhere. Also you have to bring in extra power from DC for the move as well. Finally, also consider the costs to deadhead, house, and pay the crews that would be necessary for a move like this. And it would be borderline ridiculous to suggest Amtrak shouldn't make a profit, they do have bills to pay too...

Well you have to consider the outlays Amtrak has to make for the slots with CSX, and also positioning. If you wanted two diners and five coaches, odds are these would have to be brought in from elsewhere. Also you have to bring in extra power from DC for the move as well. Finally, also consider the costs to deadhead, house, and pay the crews that would be necessary for a move like this. And it would be borderline ridiculous to suggest Amtrak shouldn't make a profit, they do have bills to pay too...
No, I dont need extra power from DC, I can borrow one from Miami or Sanford that I can be able to offer charter trains in FL only.

I already been disucssed with Amtrak and 5 coaches and 2 diners can be done but needs to pay the price for that. It's complicated, yes but it can be done.

Thanks

Well this of course assumes there's extra power sitting in Miami, usually the pickens are kind of slim down there. One, maybe two extra motors that are kept on reserve for the regular trains. You may be able to grab something from Sanford, but even they don't keep the power reserves that they did back in the P-40 days.

You may be able to grab something from Sanford, but even they don't keep the power reserves that they did back in the P-40 days.
Does it have to do with Amtrak having fewer engines today (which I'm not sure they do)? Or is it because Sanford used to handle two trains, but now only handles one?

Well Auto Train used to essentially have a dedicated fleet they had 11 engines (832-836 & 838-843) that were allocated to them. It took four motors to run Auto Train, plus what was used for the Sunset. The Sunset usually ran with one motor east of NOL so that's two motors allocated to them. So that's a total of six motors needed on a daily basis, leaving five in Sanford for protect (assuming none got mixed into the intercity pool or were out at Beech Grove). I will say it was inefficiencies like this one that probably led to Auto Train just working with the Intercity pool and putting the P-40's into storage. But IMHO they should have a dedicated fleet for AT, since the way that train handles is just so vastly different from any other train in the system. I'd still love for a pool of eight DASH 8's to be assigned to Auto Train. Run three units on each train, one in Sanford for switching and a protect engine. Not likely to happen anytime soon, but a man can dream.

Wow interesting thread I never thought about the cost of a charter. I guess now I understand why the tickets are so expensive.
Well, the price will cover are:

1) Use the track

2) Pay gas for the locomotive

3) Pay for the crews

4) Maintenance for the cars (if need)

5) Cars will be stored at yard for return trip

That is the reason, charter is not cheap

While not technically a charter, Amtrak charges a flat $40 for the Heartland Flyer OU-Texas Weekend Special which takes fans down to Dallas on Friday and returns Sunday. Normal low bucket RT from Norman to FTW is about $46 RT. I would imagine, however, "regular" fares apply for those wishing service to FTW and seats are likely held aside for those non football riders. Last year they filled every seat on 5 Superliners (normal consist is 3) and turned away many dissapointed fans.

Be VERY careful for what you wish...some time ago we inquired, both in writing and verbally about having our own car for 60 people on the Sunset for a ball game in July. We wrote our formal letter of request in March. We tried numerous times to get verbal commitments but none were forthcoming. Finally, in SEPTEMBER (well after the July game), we received a letter stating that "Amtrak regrets that it cannot accommodate your request." Both #1 and #2 had over 100 unsold seats between New Orleans and Houston on train days that we wanted to travel. An entire train movement is mind boggling; I don't know if it's more so for them or me :eek:

Be VERY careful for what you wish...some time ago we inquired, both in writing and verbally about having our own car for 60 people on the Sunset for a ball game in July. We wrote our formal letter of request in March. We tried numerous times to get verbal commitments but none were forthcoming. Finally, in SEPTEMBER (well after the July game), we received a letter stating that "Amtrak regrets that it cannot accommodate your request." Both #1 and #2 had over 100 unsold seats between New Orleans and Houston on train days that we wanted to travel. An entire train movement is mind boggling; I don't know if it's more so for them or me :eek:
Next time, do a charter train so you will be better off get more chance of getting your own car with Amtrak to carry 60 people and it's the best bet for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next time, do a charter train so you will be better off get more chance of getting your own car with Amtrak to carry 60 people and it's the best bet for you.
I wish we could have afforded the charter train; makes me wonder if they would have responded in the same way.

I wish we could have afforded the charter train; makes me wonder if they would have responded in the same way.
Send a email request to [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back