All Amtrak trains to become non-smoking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Quote Gene Poon from the All-Aboard list.

CATEGORY-MGC SUBJECT-JUL ... 12JUL04 1333   8210      PAGE NO 39REMAINING TRAINS BECOME NON-SMOKING

EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 1, 2004, THE LAST THREE REGULAR TRAINS

THAT CURRENTLY ALLOW SMOKING WILL BECOME NON-SMOKING TRAINS:

- TRAINS 19/20, CRESCENT

- TRAINS 91/92, SILVER STAR

- TRAINS 97/98, SILVER METEOR

WITH THIS CHANGE, ALL AMTRAK TRAINS SYSTEMWIDE, WITH THE

EXCEPTION OF AUTO TRAIN, WILL BE ENTIRELY NON-SMOKING.

AUTO TRAIN (52/53) WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE A SMOKING ROOM

ON THE LOWER LEVEL OF THE 33100-SERIES LOUNGE CARS, BECAUSE

THIS TRAIN MAKES NO INTERMEDIATE STOPS WHERE PASSENGERS CAN

DETRAIN TO SMOKE ON THE STATION PLATFORM.

ALL STATIONS AND ALL THRUWAY SERVICES ARE ALSO NON-SMOKING.

-source: Amtrak

So wait, what's happening to the Penalty box on all the refurbed Amfleet II Lounges?

Don't know, but one can only hope they'll eventually be removed and exchanged with more valuable lounge space. If the club lounges are not refurbished by 11/1/04 then maybe the door to the smoking lounge will be removed and the room is just opened up as lounge space?

Id like to see the amfleet 2 lounges get another set of tables on the other side. The only problem i see it people may jsut smoke in their car rather then get off the train.

There'll probably be a few that try to do that, and they'll be asked to stop, get thrown off, whatever the Conductor(s) see fit. It'll definitely be a pain having to deal with them trying to get off at stops that the crew doesn't want them to get off at, but that's just something we'll have to deal with. All I can say is that this is a poor move IMHO.

Amfleet said:
Quote Gene Poon from the All-Aboard list.
CATEGORY-MGC SUBJECT-JUL ... 12JUL04 1333   8210      PAGE NO 39REMAINING TRAINS BECOME NON-SMOKING

EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 1, 2004, THE LAST THREE REGULAR TRAINS

THAT CURRENTLY ALLOW SMOKING WILL BECOME NON-SMOKING TRAINS:

- TRAINS 19/20, CRESCENT

- TRAINS 91/92, SILVER STAR

- TRAINS 97/98, SILVER METEOR

WITH THIS CHANGE, ALL AMTRAK TRAINS SYSTEMWIDE, WITH THE

EXCEPTION OF AUTO TRAIN, WILL BE ENTIRELY NON-SMOKING.

AUTO TRAIN (52/53) WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE A SMOKING ROOM

ON THE LOWER LEVEL OF THE 33100-SERIES LOUNGE CARS, BECAUSE

THIS TRAIN MAKES NO INTERMEDIATE STOPS WHERE PASSENGERS CAN

DETRAIN TO SMOKE ON THE STATION PLATFORM.

ALL STATIONS AND ALL THRUWAY SERVICES ARE ALSO NON-SMOKING.

This is old news to me! This rumor has been going around for over a year. I knew it was only a matter of time. Plans are to return the "penalty box" lounges back to their original design as money comes available from what I last heard. Gonna be hard to not allow smoking on an extremly late P097 etc, with a "penalty box" lounge included in the consist after November, but I am sure some people will still get theirselves put off the train! :ph34r:

When I rode the Builder at the end of June, the smoker coach was still in consist, but the smoking room was used for carry-on luggage. At a couple of really quick stops (like Wolf Point, MT), some of the smokers tried to rush down to the door for a quick puff but were turned away by the coach attendant. My mother was surprised by the large number of people that were detraining when she picked me up in Williston, ND, until I explained that Williston was the first smoking stop since Havre, MT. ;)

According to the five year plan all the Smoking Coaches will be reconverted to Baggage Coaches, they way they should be IMHO. Now if they could just get the smoke smell out of the cars. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm glad to see these trains go non smoking, and I think the original configuration is logical. I was glad to have an as-built lounge in April, it was nice to be able to take advantage of the seats and I like the configuration. I'm sure that as long as the box is there, there will be problems, even without one on occasion I'm sure.

I'm frankly not sure what will happen if the boxes are still there come November 1, 2004. I mean they should continue to be used as a smoking lounge until they are slowly removed even beyond the date.

It is nice to have the ex smoker rooms as extra space for baggage on the superliners. I can now carry my bike on with me and store it in there when travelling between two unstaffed stations instead of taking both the wheels off to fit it in an inside baggage rack. I don't like putting it in the exterior lockers since they are so filthy and it takes too much time to wipe all the grease off my bike when I pull it out of those. Maybe Amtrak will put an actual bike rack in the area when if and when it converts them to baggage coaches... nice to dream once in a while... :rolleyes:

Posted by Gene Poon on Trainorders.

ALL VIA RAIL CANADA TRAINS NON SMOKING ON NOVEMBER 1
ON MONDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2004, THE LAST THREE VIA RAIL CANADA

TRAINS THAT ALLOWED SMOKING IN SOME AREAS WILL BECOME

ENTIRELY NON-SMOKING:

- CANADIAN, TRAINS 1/2, VANCOUVER-TORONTO

- SKEENA, TRAINS 5/6, PRINCE RUPERT-JASPER

- HUDSON BAY, TRAINS 692/693, WINNIPEG-CHURCHILL

ALL OTHER VIA TRAINS ARE ALREADY NON-SMOKING.

WITH THIS CHANGE, AND WITH THE DISCONTINUATION OF SMOKING

ON AMTRAK TRAINS 19/20, 91/92, AND 97/98 ON THE SAME DATE,

THE ONLY TRAIN* IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA THAT WILL

STILL PERMIT SMOKING IS AMTRAK'S AUTO TRAIN, 52/53.

-source: AMTRAK

Whew!! Glad I stopped smoking more years ago than I can remember. What a pain it would be to go three nights across Canada dependng upon getting off at stations to light up.

No doubt I was smoking when I took my last Canadian trans-con trip 30 plus years ago.

Amfleet said:
EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 1, 2004, THE LAST THREE REGULAR TRAINSTHAT CURRENTLY ALLOW SMOKING WILL BECOME NON-SMOKING TRAINS.

WITH THIS CHANGE, ALL AMTRAK TRAINS SYSTEMWIDE WILL BE ENTIRELY NON-SMOKING. ALL STATIONS AND ALL THRUWAY SERVICES ARE ALSO NON-SMOKING.

I was just caught non-smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back