Favorite Current Amtrak Equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite current Amtrak equipment?

• Superliner I (Refurbished)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superliner II

• Talgo

• Horizon

• Amfleet

• Viewliner

• Acela

• Heritage (Mostly Food Service)

• Surfliner

• Amtrak California (i.e. Capitols)

• Other (Specify in a response)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Service Attendant
So, was just curious what people thought of certain equipment...Feel free to reply back on this and explain why or just to chat away....

If the Heritage diners were used as intended they could unstaff the lounge and serve snacks from the counter next to the kitchen. As it stands now I have NEVER seen anyone, except crew, eat at the counter (and believe me I've racked up some Heritage diner miles.) It is usually a resting place for supplies or crew bags. The LSA from the lounge car could help out during serving times in the diner thus alleviating the SDS or diner lite or whatever they call the 8 people every fifteen minute fiasco.

Gotta love the Viewliners! The best single level sleepers in the fleet :p Seriously though I am a big fan of the Viewliner. I'm always end up in the top bunk so I like to look out the window up there. The superliner wall eh, not as interesting :lol:

Its a shame the all viewliner trains got the axe...

Good thread :D

alleviating the SDS or diner lite or whatever they call the 8 people every fifteen minute fiasco.
Stupified Dining Schedule?

(I haven't ever had a problem getting food on the LSL, but I've only ever been in a sleeper. I think there was a shortage of seatings for some of the coach passengers, but that probably was dinner on the train that left ALB about 90 minutes late.)

I like the Auto Train. True, it's basically a Superliner trainset, but there are some differences. I just noticed the other day that the sightseer lounges are totally different than a regular superliner set.

If the Heritage diners were used as intended they could unstaff the lounge and serve snacks from the counter next to the kitchen. As it stands now I have NEVER seen anyone, except crew, eat at the counter (and believe me I've racked up some Heritage diner miles.) It is usually a resting place for supplies or crew bags. The LSA from the lounge car could help out during serving times in the diner thus alleviating the SDS or diner lite or whatever they call the 8 people every fifteen minute fiasco.
Jay,

Only the Temoinsa rebuilds have that counter, about half the fleet got those rebuilds, so they couldn't uniformly do what you're suggesting. I also suspect that the lounge LSA would get in the way of the dining car crew trying to do their jobs, as there isn't that much room back there. And finally, if you have a line for the cafe section, it's going to be blocking the hall that the passengers and crew need to use to move about the train.

Also remember that SDS isn't just because of the wait staff cuts, it's also because of the elimination of the assistant cook.

I like the Auto Train. True, it's basically a Superliner trainset, but there are some differences. I just noticed the other day that the sightseer lounges are totally different than a regular superliner set.
That's because the normal lounges are converted Superliner I dining cars. They were specially converted to perform a double duty, functioning as both a cafe/lounge car and to provide overflow seating for the dining car. That later feature makes them unique in the sense that Amtrak always makes sure to orientate that car so that the dining section always lands next to the dining car.

All that said, the backup lounge is a true Sightseer Lounge car that has had tables added to one end and a smoker's penalty box installed downstairs.

So, was just curious what people thought of certain equipment...Feel free to reply back on this and explain why or just to chat away....
My wife and I enjoyed the refurbished SL 1, de lux bedroom(complete with the new shower, toilet and sink module) on our last Empire Builder trip. It was really something. I was a bit dissapointed with the "nots so" easy chair. Jim

About the Viewliner roomette. I have discovered one can have four pillows and see out the window quite nicely at night.This works of oourse if you are traveling by yourself thus nobody needs the other two pillows.

Its a shame the all viewliner trains got the axe...
:blink: The Crescent, Cardinal, LSL, Silver Star, and Silver Meteor all run with Viewliners...
I know but at one point there was going to be viewliner coaches and diners and lounges like the superliners but of course lack of money canned all that. :angry:

There was a viewliner dinning car mock up

amt8400.jpg

I've often wondered what the purpose of the upper windows would be on a truly single level car like the Viewliner coach and diners would be. It makes sense for a sleeper so both beds can have a view.

I've often wondered what the purpose of the upper windows would be on a truly single level car like the Viewliner coach and diners would be. It makes sense for a sleeper so both beds can have a view.
Beyond the fact that it makes for a consistant visual line when viewed from the outside, it provides greater lighting inside the cars and makes them feel more roomy and comfortable.

There was a viewliner dinning car mock up
That's not a mock up, it's the real McCoy, the real thing. It ran in revenue service for a while.
Has Amtrak ever considered lending or renting the Viewliner Diner to a tourist railroad? Many such have their own shops and skilled volunteers who machine odd parts all the time to maintain their old coaches and locomotives. So a tourist railroad with a strong shop crew could get the car in running condition and make use of it; it would be a great ridership draw and revenue source for the tourist railroad to have a functional full diner; and it would be great PR and free advertising for Amtrak. How is this not a win-win?

Beyond the fact that it makes for a consistant visual line when viewed from the outside, it provides greater lighting inside the cars and makes them feel more roomy and comfortable.
While that would be true for Viewliner Diners and Lounges, what about Viewliner coaches? :huh: The upper window would be right where the luggage rack would be, and if luggage is blocking the light, ??? :rolleyes:

While that would be true for Viewliner Diners and Lounges, what about Viewliner coaches? :huh: The upper window would be right where the luggage rack would be, and if luggage is blocking the light, ??? :rolleyes:
Well, if the Viewliner coaches were consistent with the sleepers and diner, the upper windows would only be on half the car... so the luggage rack would clearly only be on the other half of the car (where there are no upper windows) :D

But I would not like to be sitting in seat #59 and have the luggage racks only above seats #1-32! And if you think fights over the overhead bins in planes are bad, just wait and see what happens when only 1/2 a car has overhead luggage racks - and no other place to store bags! :eek:

But I would not like to be sitting in seat #59 and have the luggage racks only above seats #1-32! And if you think fights over the overhead bins in planes are bad, just wait and see what happens when only 1/2 a car has overhead luggage racks - and no other place to store bags! :eek:
At least you'll never bump your head on the luggage rack if you stand up too quickly :)

Jay,

Only the Temoinsa rebuilds have that counter, about half the fleet got those rebuilds, so they couldn't uniformly do what you're suggesting. I also suspect that the lounge LSA would get in the way of the dining car crew trying to do their jobs, as there isn't that much room back there. And finally, if you have a line for the cafe section, it's going to be blocking the hall that the passengers and crew need to use to move about the train.

Also remember that SDS isn't just because of the wait staff cuts, it's also because of the elimination of the assistant cook.
You're probably totally correct Alan. Why throw good money after bad converting the other half of the diner fleet only to have it fall apart in 5 or less years? It's kinda like a '57 Chevy~ nice to look but hard as heck to maintain. I just remember one steward leading four waiters and four cooks through the motions in a full diner and nobody seemed to get in anybody's way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back