Train Trip in June

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjstarkey

Train Attendant
We are leaving from Little Rock on the 21st of June. I have been looking at Amtraks website for arrival schedules and it looks like this train is always late. Sometimes it arrives at least 5 hours late into Chicago. Is this common? I know that things can happen while in motion, but why does this train seem to be consistent on lateness? We are catching the Lakeshore Limited, so we should have no problems, but was hoping for some sightseeing time.

Can't wait, 1 month and then we are going on our first long distance train rides. :p

We are leaving from Little Rock on the 21st of June. I have been looking at Amtraks website for arrival schedules and it looks like this train is always late. Sometimes it arrives at least 5 hours late into Chicago. Is this common? I know that things can happen while in motion, but why does this train seem to be consistent on lateness? We are catching the Lakeshore Limited, so we should have no problems, but was hoping for some sightseeing time.
Can't wait, 1 month and then we are going on our first long distance train rides. :p
I've tracked the California Zephyr daily since Feb. 2008, as well as the Lake Shore Limited. They both, almost always, are late arriving in CHI. Both the CZ and LSL almost always depart CHI at their scheduled time.

The biggie is to watch your train's arrival time in order to have enough time to connect with the next, and you suggest that there shouldn't be a problem.

I guess that Amtrak trains are late usually because of freight train competition for the tracks, and the freight trains get first dibs. That's sad, but just a fact of life. <_<

UPs tracks are over capacity, and UP doesn't try all that hard to give Amtrak the priority it deserves. By the way, Thayer, the train he is on is the Texas Eagle.

I guess that Amtrak trains are late usually because of freight train competition for the tracks, and the freight trains get first dibs. That's sad, but just a fact of life. <_<
They may get dibs, but they aren't supposed to get them. Amtrak is supposed to get priority.

They may get dibs, but they aren't supposed to get them. Amtrak is supposed to get priority.
You might just turn me into a champion for justice. <_<

Where is it written that Amtrak is supposed to get priority on the use of the tracks? And if it IS written, why isn't it coming down that way? I wouldn't mind becoming that masked rider of the plains, fighting for law and order. :ph34r:

Where is it written that Amtrak is supposed to get priority on the use of the tracks? And if it IS written, why isn't it coming down that way? I wouldn't mind becoming that masked rider of the plains, fighting for law and order. :ph34r:
It was part of the original agreement that every freight RR signed when Amtrak was created and they joined the system. The original agreement was for 25 years, which has since come and gone. However, it is still written into every contract that Amtrak has with the various Freight Co's.

It was part of the original agreement that every freight RR signed when Amtrak was created and they joined the system. The original agreement was for 25 years, which has since come and gone. However, it is still written into every contract that Amtrak has with the various Freight Co's.
Now let me get this straight. Amtrak has signed contracts with the various freight carriers (current as of 2008) that Amtrak has priority for the use of track time? :huh: I'll repeat my question --- how come it's not coming down that way?

If we (Amtrak) have a leg to stand on, I'll be happy to spend a LOT of time working toward what I'd like to see Amtrak accomplish. If we don't have a leg to stand on, what's the use? :ph34r:

No useful information -- just, you're leaving on the first day of summer, the longest day of the year, and my birthday!( I've learned to put the most important info at the end of any sentence.)

Have a great trip!

Ed

Take a look at my extensive commentary and analysis on this subject in this thread here.

FWIW, I rode on Train #5 from DEN-SLC today (over UP trackage), and not only did we arrive into SLC five minutes early, I counted no less than 20 (yes, TWENTY) UP and BNSF freights in the hole for us(!) as we sped past. Only once did we stop for a meet (and it was very short--less than five minutes), and one was an absolutely perfectly-timed rolling meet where we ducked into the siding just in time for the freight train to breeze by us (accelerating up to track speed on what would have been his clear indication after we cleared the main)--and we just kept rolling right through the siding somewhere between 10 and 20mph and went right back out onto the main after the freight cleared the west siding switch.

So my impression of the UP was pretty dang good today!

(Of course, according to amtrakdelays.com, the same train was delayed 155 minutes yesterday...so maybe I just got lucky today...)

We recently were on a train on Illinois Central track,

The Illinois Central dispatchers were supposed to give Amtrak priority over Illinois Central trains.

The Illinois Central dispatchers receive paychecks that way "Illinois Central" across the top.

Why would they not give Amtrak priority???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back