Southwest Chief News & Future Operations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Mexico Senator Heinrich responds:

Heinrich said the meeting did not go well.

“I think this was one of the most unproductive meetings with an agency level official that I’ve ever experienced,” he said. “To learn that not only are they planning to pull back their commitment to the TIGER grant, but that they're going to abandon the route I think is just outrageous.”
I do find this funny. All Amtrak would have to tell him is "Your state is the problem point. Why haven't you come through with the funds to fix this in the last decade?" Not like the Railrunner PTC status hasn't been known for a long time.

I'm sure a big part of the cost savings is eliminating sleepers and dining cars.
The two sleepers generate almost half of the revenue
We're not sure if they are going to eliminate the sleepers. An option is sleeper train LA-ABQ and CHI-LAJ. At this point there's a lot of options on the table. The only thing they know for sure is that the Lamy to ABQ section might not be available to run on, so they need to plan for that possibility.

You know, I have no idea what Anderson's end game is here. The bustitutions don't make a whole lot of sense. But I don't think he's that dumb. He might be, I just don't think so.

The continuation of the route as it's been...I love Lamy, I love all the route between the Raton Pass and Albuquerque... very beautiful, and I absolutely love Lamy - but common sense has to be more important to business than sentimentality. BNSF understood that.

There are some who serve the agenda driven by people who stand to keep making money with the status quo. Others, myself included, would greatly benefit from changes to the route - if not cheaper then maybe closer - but we haven't seen the end game. Maybe Anderson's angling for more money, or maybe he's trying to make it more practical, or maybe he's trying to kill it. We don't know.

If someone here has a crystal ball, by all means tell us what it says. I don't think things are all that clear yet.
My crystal ball is still under repair but I think things are becoming quite clear. They weren't that foggy to begin with. I've mentioned what I think the end game will be if left to the current administration.

I would like everyone to look at page 14 of the presentation that was enclosed in the first page of this thread. It is the one that says Unresolved Infrastructure issues. Behold the very last line:

The financial investment of the magnitude needed to retain this portion of the route is not prudent given the broader needs across the network

In other words, it isn't worth it for one train. Even if the states paid for everything else and PTC was operational, does Amrak really want to invest in 219 miles of railroad for one train when other routes could use that 3 million?

The danger here is this can be repeated along many routes across the system. Is it worth it? The presentation even includes a little bribe for future service. We're on your side and we want to run corridor trains in your state. This is consistent with a few things I've stated before:

Here is what RailPAC has to say based on a meeting at which Anderson spoke in California:

http://railpac.org/2018/04/21/amtrak-ceo-phasing-out-long-distance-trains-in-favor-of-corridors/

Note that these are notes of an observer in a meeting in California where Anderson spoke.... He did not explicitly say what the title claims, but one could reach such a conclusion from the reported notes if the observer's notes are unbiased.

Thirdrail, maybe we have a strong hint of an answer to your question. What have you been hearing internally that you can share?
I've heard worse in greater detail. However, I've noticed that how he articulates something doesn't necessarily mean it how it will turn out. A perfect example is the brouhaha that ensued with the private car message. What he said and how it came out is not how it was explained. That is why I'm anxiously awaiting some sort of vision on the LD. front. He believes corridors are the future and he believes that operations should concentrate on the heavily used stations. Does that mean the death of the LD trains or does that mean the elimination of many, low usage stations in an effort to reduce the running times along the route?

If Congress steps in, does it mean a puny, perfunctory train with minimum services along the route or a showdown, with him waving PRIIA? The fact they gave additional money to the operation of the LD network probably doesn't make things cut and dry.

We'll see.
The capital needs are not going away. As more hosts step up and demand Amtrak assume the costs of PTC, this battle will only increase. As such I'd like to quote part of this entry from the Richard Anderson replacing Wick Moorman as Amtrak CEO thread.

<snip>

The large elephant in the room is PTC and who will assume the costs. This is where you might have hit the nail on the head Tibike. There are hosts that have basically said, if you want to use this route, you'll have to foot the costs of PTC. If in fact Amtrak did foot those costs, then they need bang for their buck. Running as many trains over their territory is a wise investment. However, what if the costs of the investment doesn't translate into ridership and/or revenue? Should you make the investment merely to keep "the system" together?

Well, that is the ultimate question and that once again boils down to, finances, revenue, ridership and politics. What is more important...revenue or ridership? I'm not from the west cost Tibike, so I'm going to need your help. Using the Coast Starlight as an example, you have stated that running it as separate corridor trains may stimulate ridership since the train is not helpful to people in CA. Am I understanding you correctly? If that is the case, it would make sense that the top city pairs for this train would be long distance passengers since this train isn't reliable for corridor service. Again, this makes sense. Now, the REVENUE from the LD pairs is going to be quite higher since typically, the greater the distance, the higher the fare. So, taking a train like the CS and breaking it into various trains may increase ridership but you'd have to hope the volume makes up for the potential loss in revenue from the long distance trip and the potential increase in fees. What if it doesn't?

A classic example is the Capitol Punishment....I mean errr Limited. On its own, this is dopey train. It has poor arrival times at the main city along the route (PGH) and poor connections (relatively short in one direction and too long in the other direction.) The intermediate markets are small and poorly served. However, if you attempt to change their schedules, NS has basically promised to paralyze the train....not that it should matter since they kind of do that anyway, so what harm is there in changing the times?
default_smile.png
However, from a system perspective, this train is a major west-south conduit. It funnels a great deal of through traffic between the east coast and the mid west. Altering the train would impact the entire system. So, if a host wants to pass the PTC costs along, a cursory look would suggest you kill this train because as a stand alone route, the finances of the city pair wouldn't justify the investment . However, an in depth look would make you have the opposite point of view. That is because the through ridership is there and with that comes revenue not only for the route, but for the system.

Speaking of the system, that is where politics comes into play. I know things are different now, but there are plenty of people that don't believe in trains. Period. If you want them, pay for them! That sounds logical but there are plenty of people that will not vote for funding a scattered system. In other words, it sounds good to say you're going to invest BILLIONS in the NEC....until someone in Kentucky says "Sure, as long as you continue to stop in Mayville!' and someone in Montana says "I'll allocate for a national system, which means Malta. So if you think you're turning the Empire Builder into two trains between CHI-MSP along with one SEA-SPK train, you've have another thing coming!"[/B]

The trains are shorter now then they have ever been. However, I think that is because of slightly better utilization and assignment. That may also be because revenue (higher fares) are trumping ridership numbers (lowering fares may drive up the numbers but may not translate into revenue.). Additionally, shorter trains traveling shorter distances doesn't necessarily mean less maintenance or less head count. Quite often, it means just the opposite. Short distance intercity trains must have a calendar day inspection lust like a Long Distance train ,except a long distance train can actually continue to its final repair point if a non-running gear defect is found en route. That is not the case for commuter or short distance intercity trains. Additionally, a delayed en route LD train can continue in service to its next calendar day inspection point. That is not the case with SD/COM trains. They can continue to the next inspection point, but not with the passengers. Multiple trains may need additional crews and crew bases. Again, this MAY not be an issue. It depends on the costs, the ridership and the revenue.

These are all major issues, Tibike. Where trains exist, I believe in multiple services. You already have the stations. You already have the mechanical forces available. You already have the crew base and commissary profile. If more trains can utilize them, that's better. So, I'm not saying your idea for breaking up the CS may not be a good idea. However, will the states fund it? If they kill the train, does that mean other states will fund what is left? Will Oregon willingly fork over money to invest in the NEC? Our new CEO may believe so but I really don't think that is the case. We could lose it all.

We may find out soon enough. My prediction is a push to corridor type trains, financed by the states. We may not have a choice. If that fails, you'll see a nod to sustaining the system by running a perfunctory train with minimal amenities and a puny consist. The rest of the equipment will be diverted to other places in the system to feed corridor type service.Again, this may NOT be the end of the world, depending on how it is accomplished.

Well, it is summer. Here comes Amtrak 2.0!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Thirdrail, being CEO of Amtrak is a difficult job. If railroaders don't want to take it on, that's fine. There's not a lot of overlap between the skills sets needed for running a consumer-facing service business and for running trains and managing infrastructure. I'm guessing Anderson wouldn't be reckoned an aviator (or whatever the equivalent of "railroader" is at an airline) either. But he must know how to manage them, and balance their imperatives against those of finance, marketing and other specialties, in order to meet the needs of the customers. Otherwise, he wouldn't have lasted long at Delta, let alone achieved any degree of success. Which he did.

Why do I think Anderson is doing a good job? Not because of results – it's too soon for that. It's because I see Amtrak making some of the changes it needs to make if it wants to be more than just an amusement park ride for senior citizens. You offered the best example of that: he's giving more priority, resources and supervision to maintenance. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that it needed to be done, but I was. I was also impressed by what you described. It sounded to me like a description of a CEO that's focusing on the core business, rather than juggling fiefdoms.

Other examples include modernising the supply chain (that's how I interpret the food service changes from a management perspective, in both the diners and the cafes), taking the job of targeted marketing back from affinity groups, sandboxing non core business (private cars and charters) so negative impacts on the core business are drastically reduced if not eliminated, and (perhaps) adjusting capacity to match demand (buses on some segments, self powered cars of whatever kind on others?).

I don't know whose ideas those were originally, but it doesn't matter. CEOs aren't necessarily, or even often, the source of good ideas. Their talent is to recognise good ideas and move them, and the people responsible for them, ahead.

Then there's safety. If I'm counting correctly, Amtrak has had four employees KIA in 2018, and the year isn't even half over. Since 2015, there's been two major wrecks, involving passenger fatalities, due to the same cause: employees weren't paying attention to what they were doing. Obviously, I don't know what's going on inside of Amtrak, but Anderson is saying the right things about safety and I'm inferring that he's doing something about it from the recent snow cancellations. Forgive my literary liberties, but I'm imagining a conversation:

"is it safe to run trains in this weather?"

"Yes".

"Why?"

"Because we're railroaders and that's what we do".

"I'll take that as a no. Get back to me when you understand the question".

What I see is a CEO who is making necessary major changes, and not one who is fiddling around the edges. That's why I say he's doing a good job. So far.

Anderson wasn't hired so "hundreds of people" could tell him "how to run a railroad".
Actually, he was. You see, he works for the public and their representatives. That amounts to hundreds of people (namely, Congress) telling him how to run a railroad....which is why most railroaders shy away from the position.

He was hired to tell hundreds of railroaders how to run a passenger transportation business. Emphasis on "business". He seems to be doing a good job of it.
I'm always interested in hearing why people think he is doing a good job or a bad job. What have you seen that makes you say he is doing a good job? Is ridership up or down? Is revenue up or down? Is safety up or down? Has any equipment been released for service? Any new routes added? How are costs doing? Has OTP improved? How is our Congressional credibility?

While I know the answers to most of these questions, I STILL think it is entirely too early to say if Mr. Anderson is doing a good or bad job.

If congress had given more money for "creating more corridors" or "restructuring LD trains" this would make sense. But they gave money specificaly to "long distance" trains.
No, congress appropriated money for the "National Network". Redirecting resources and capacity to the parts of the network where traffic is highest, where the most people will be served, and the most revenue is generated for the least expense, is what his job is about. He seems to be going about it by focusing on fundamentals that are common to any passenger transportation business: safety, reliability and demand driven asset management.
However, Congress also enacted PRIIA and updated it in 2015. Nothing in PRIIA indicates that Amtrak one part of the network should be sacrificed for another part. That is why it deals with future high speed service, existing high speed service/NEC, state supported services as well as LD service. Indeed, it even offers to fund LD service on behalf of an outside operator. ( Shouldn't we have heard something about that by now?)

If what you described "is what the job is all about," very few people outside the Chicago hub, state supported/commuter service and the NEC would have operations....and the NEC is questionable since the states along the route would need to finance the route themselves...and with its 40+BILLION dollar backlog in repairs, it is the most expensive piece of territory.

Good luck finding the funding.

Oregon might have been a bad example because when I was meeting with my delegation about the PV issue. Most of them were non committal about preserving the state's 4449 charters, and charter operators. They didn't want to rock the boat. Personally I don't just want to rock the Anderson and Gardner boat. I want to capsize the boat.

There is no reason for a state like mine which has all but one republican representatives (after all I live in SC and OR depending on the month) to fund trains for the northeast without getting things for our state. They already reluctantly fund the trains we have. And if enough of the state's losing service by Anderson and Gardner's corridor plan get together. You'll find Gateway, and several other NEC projects not getting funding.

Then we have the long haul sleeper sale which tells me Amtrak wants the money from sleeper fares to help sustain the operation till the new fiscal. So that is also an interesting development.

You know, I have no idea what Anderson's end game is here. The bustitutions don't make a whole lot of sense. But I don't think he's that dumb. He might be, I just don't think so.

The continuation of the route as it's been...I love Lamy, I love all the route between the Raton Pass and Albuquerque... very beautiful, and I absolutely love Lamy - but common sense has to be more important to business than sentimentality. BNSF understood that.

There are some who serve the agenda driven by people who stand to keep making money with the status quo. Others, myself included, would greatly benefit from changes to the route - if not cheaper then maybe closer - but we haven't seen the end game. Maybe Anderson's angling for more money, or maybe he's trying to make it more practical, or maybe he's trying to kill it. We don't know.

If someone here has a crystal ball, by all means tell us what it says. I don't think things are all that clear yet.
My crystal ball is still under repair but I think things are becoming quite clear. They weren't that foggy to begin with. I've mentioned what I think the end game will be if left to the current administration.

I would like everyone to look at page 14 of the presentation that was enclosed in the first page of this thread. It is the one that says Unresolved Infrastructure issues. Behold the very last line:

The financial investment of the magnitude needed to retain this portion of the route is not prudent given the broader needs across the network

In other words, it isn't worth it for one train. Even if the states paid for everything else and PTC was operational, does Amrak really want to invest in 219 miles of railroad for one train when other routes could use that 3 million?

The danger here is this can be repeated along many routes across the system. Is it worth it? The presentation even includes a little bribe for future service. We're on your side and we want to run corridor trains in your state. This is consistent with a few things I've stated before:

Here is what RailPAC has to say based on a meeting at which Anderson spoke in California:

http://railpac.org/2018/04/21/amtrak-ceo-phasing-out-long-distance-trains-in-favor-of-corridors/

Note that these are notes of an observer in a meeting in California where Anderson spoke.... He did not explicitly say what the title claims, but one could reach such a conclusion from the reported notes if the observer's notes are unbiased.

Thirdrail, maybe we have a strong hint of an answer to your question. What have you been hearing internally that you can share?
I've heard worse in greater detail. However, I've noticed that how he articulates something doesn't necessarily mean it how it will turn out. A perfect example is the brouhaha that ensued with the private car message. What he said and how it came out is not how it was explained. That is why I'm anxiously awaiting some sort of vision on the LD. front. He believes corridors are the future and he believes that operations should concentrate on the heavily used stations. Does that mean the death of the LD trains or does that mean the elimination of many, low usage stations in an effort to reduce the running times along the route?

If Congress steps in, does it mean a puny, perfunctory train with minimum services along the route or a showdown, with him waving PRIIA? The fact they gave additional money to the operation of the LD network probably doesn't make things cut and dry.

We'll see.
The capital needs are not going away. As more hosts step up and demand Amtrak assume the costs of PTC, this battle will only increase. As such I'd like to quote part of this entry from the Richard Anderson replacing Wick Moorman as Amtrak CEO thread.

<snip>

The large elephant in the room is PTC and who will assume the costs. This is where you might have hit the nail on the head Tibike. There are hosts that have basically said, if you want to use this route, you'll have to foot the costs of PTC. If in fact Amtrak did foot those costs, then they need bang for their buck. Running as many trains over their territory is a wise investment. However, what if the costs of the investment doesn't translate into ridership and/or revenue? Should you make the investment merely to keep "the system" together?

Well, that is the ultimate question and that once again boils down to, finances, revenue, ridership and politics. What is more important...revenue or ridership? I'm not from the west cost Tibike, so I'm going to need your help. Using the Coast Starlight as an example, you have stated that running it as separate corridor trains may stimulate ridership since the train is not helpful to people in CA. Am I understanding you correctly? If that is the case, it would make sense that the top city pairs for this train would be long distance passengers since this train isn't reliable for corridor service. Again, this makes sense. Now, the REVENUE from the LD pairs is going to be quite higher since typically, the greater the distance, the higher the fare. So, taking a train like the CS and breaking it into various trains may increase ridership but you'd have to hope the volume makes up for the potential loss in revenue from the long distance trip and the potential increase in fees. What if it doesn't?

A classic example is the Capitol Punishment....I mean errr Limited. On its own, this is dopey train. It has poor arrival times at the main city along the route (PGH) and poor connections (relatively short in one direction and too long in the other direction.) The intermediate markets are small and poorly served. However, if you attempt to change their schedules, NS has basically promised to paralyze the train....not that it should matter since they kind of do that anyway, so what harm is there in changing the times?
default_smile.png
However, from a system perspective, this train is a major west-south conduit. It funnels a great deal of through traffic between the east coast and the mid west. Altering the train would impact the entire system. So, if a host wants to pass the PTC costs along, a cursory look would suggest you kill this train because as a stand alone route, the finances of the city pair wouldn't justify the investment . However, an in depth look would make you have the opposite point of view. That is because the through ridership is there and with that comes revenue not only for the route, but for the system.

Speaking of the system, that is where politics comes into play. I know things are different now, but there are plenty of people that don't believe in trains. Period. If you want them, pay for them! That sounds logical but there are plenty of people that will not vote for funding a scattered system. In other words, it sounds good to say you're going to invest BILLIONS in the NEC....until someone in Kentucky says "Sure, as long as you continue to stop in Mayville!' and someone in Montana says "I'll allocate for a national system, which means Malta. So if you think you're turning the Empire Builder into two trains between CHI-MSP along with one SEA-SPK train, you've have another thing coming!"[/b]

The trains are shorter now then they have ever been. However, I think that is because of slightly better utilization and assignment. That may also be because revenue (higher fares) are trumping ridership numbers (lowering fares may drive up the numbers but may not translate into revenue.). Additionally, shorter trains traveling shorter distances doesn't necessarily mean less maintenance or less head count. Quite often, it means just the opposite. Short distance intercity trains must have a calendar day inspection lust like a Long Distance train ,except a long distance train can actually continue to its final repair point if a non-running gear defect is found en route. That is not the case for commuter or short distance intercity trains. Additionally, a delayed en route LD train can continue in service to its next calendar day inspection point. That is not the case with SD/COM trains. They can continue to the next inspection point, but not with the passengers. Multiple trains may need additional crews and crew bases. Again, this MAY not be an issue. It depends on the costs, the ridership and the revenue.

These are all major issues, Tibike. Where trains exist, I believe in multiple services. You already have the stations. You already have the mechanical forces available. You already have the crew base and commissary profile. If more trains can utilize them, that's better. So, I'm not saying your idea for breaking up the CS may not be a good idea. However, will the states fund it? If they kill the train, does that mean other states will fund what is left? Will Oregon willingly fork over money to invest in the NEC? Our new CEO may believe so but I really don't think that is the case. We could lose it all.

We may find out soon enough. My prediction is a push to corridor type trains, financed by the states. We may not have a choice. If that fails, you'll see a nod to sustaining the system by running a perfunctory train with minimal amenities and a puny consist. The rest of the equipment will be diverted to other places in the system to feed corridor type service.Again, this may NOT be the end of the world, depending on how it is accomplished.
Well, it is summer. Here comes Amtrak 2.0!
Is this decision final or is it possible enough pressure could cause a reconsideration or reroute instead of a bus bridge? If the bus segment is implemented, but the states at some point in the future decide to pay for the infrastructure, could the train return? I don't know whether you have the answer to those questions, but this is the first decision that may actually impact me personally, although I did see some LD cuts happening. The SWC just seems like one of the least logical routes to discontinue, especially considering the problem segment has a better reroute potential than almost any other Amtrak route. A while back, I remember a thread about which trains were most likely to be cut. The only trains I foresaw outlasting the SWC were a Florida train, a NEC-Chicago train, the CS, and possibly the CZ. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but this seems like one of the least logical routes to turn into a corridor service as it has little population from Kansas City to California, so I doubt either corridor train would last. The route's strengths lie in it's endpoints and connections. I'm sure other members here know more than I do on this topic, but it seems to me that this is either a stupid decision or there is much more to it than simply implementing a bus bridge on the SWC.

Tibike,

You are entitled to your opinions (which I have a great deal of respect for), so if these are the reasons you think he is doing a good job,I accept that information and will offer no dispute. Some of the things you mentioned are some of the things I like about his tactics....and one more thing.

However, I DO want to address one of the things you mentioned and it cuts to the core of why people believe he is "weaponizing" PTC as a means to kill of trains he may not want to run. Allow me to add on to your post:

Then there's safety. If I'm counting correctly, Amtrak has had four employees KIA in 2018, and the year isn't even half over. Since 2015, there's been two major wrecks, involving passenger fatalities, due to the same cause: employees weren't paying attention to what they were doing. Obviously, I don't know what's going on inside of Amtrak, but Anderson is saying the right things about safety and I'm inferring that he's doing something about it from the recent snow cancellations. Forgive my literary liberties, but I'm imagining a conversation:

"is it safe to run trains in this weather?"

"Yes".

"Why?"

"Because we're railroaders and that's what we do".

"I'll take that as a no. Get back to me when you understand the question".
I think I understand your question, boss. I'm just curious: What makes a train more dangerous in the snow than in the sun? The incidents like 501 and the train (514?) that launched itself through the split derail and almost launched itself into the drink occurred in broad daylight.

What makes the snow more dangerous than darkness? 188 derailed in the dark, in clear conditions. As a matter of fact, snow may be a little safer. There are less people driving on the roads. That means there is less chance of one of our biggest equipment issues....grade crossing incidents....like the Congressional Special to White Sulphur Springs. We may not get the equipment back for years to come. There are also less people walking along the tracks in a blizzard, so we won't have as many trespasser incidents, which causes delays and expenses to rise on almost a daily basis. These are incidents that PTC is extremely unlikely to help. After all, a train operating at 125 mph struck a car on a sealed corridor and did extensive damage...and that was just a normal night.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to talk about trees and our equipment, boss, so I guess the confusion lies in trains operate on the ground, where the incidents are likely to occur. If your concern is safety, the safest thing to is to not operate....anywhere. It's cheap too! There will always be risk and I'm curious as to why you are singling out one weather event over another. We operate during heat restrictions even though heat kinks have derailed trains and cause massive delays.

This is what I'm getting at Tibike. If you're looking for an excuse to do something or not do something, it is easy to find. Sometimes, all you need is a title to fit your agenda. If you're not interested in running the service, you can blame PTC. If they fund PTC, you can blame the expense of maintaining the track for one train (heaven forbid you attempt to add another train somehow.) If funding becomes available for that, well we really think that money should go somewhere else.

It goes on and on. State you proposal and your agenda. However, people are watching and it is getting difficult.

Is this decision final or is it possible enough pressure could cause a reconsideration or reroute instead of a bus bridge? If the bus segment is implemented, but the states at some point in the future decide to pay for the infrastructure, could the train return? I
These are just proposals. Nothing is firm yet. There is plenty of time for negotiation, politics, ploys and other shenanigans. That being said, I still have high hopes we are dealing with an evil genius. I've mentioned it before. Sometimes, you have to give people what they want and let them see how it plays out. In this case, the 'people" are "Congress,' and instead of sidestepping the issues, he's diving right into it...and people are taking notice:

Maybe we're underestimating Mr. Anderson. Consider:

I think Anderson's overall vision is to save as much money as possible by removing anything left that is not a basic train necessity and making Amtrak into essentially the equivalent of an NJ Transit bus, but on the rails. No frills, no courtesy, no service. Just pay us a lot of money, then sit down and don't bother us til we throw you off at your stop. Exactly why I don't fly, and will probably not do much train travel this year.

Let's see. He's overseeing the cuts in amenities, services and sooner or later, probably routes or stops. However, it is also going after things like specials, charters and pet projects of supporters. He wants to get back to the "core" business, but wants to make a profit.

As such, people are writing their representatives, high profile groups are starting to complain and that leads to lobbying.

All the while, he's clutching PRIIA and saying this is what you want!

At that point, they'll either say continue on and he'll be justified or they'll either have to fund what he cuts or write it into some kind of law, at which point he'll say "stop complaining."

This was similar to Gunn's way of doing things. Perhaps he is starting to push the right buttons.

Continue to write....and soon!
People are writing ( I hope) which means Congress will start paying attention. They already are. A senator already proposed adding staffing requirements to the funding. Who knows what the next person will add/ It may say you WILL operate the SW Chief.....

There may never be a better time to take action.

We've seen the PTC scenario play out in smaller situations. For example in Utah, The UP told The Utah Transit Authority (UTA) that the UTA was going to have to pay to install PTC on a stretch of line they used North of Ogden. UTA decided that it wasn't worth paying the cost for 35 passengers a day and is discontinuing train service North of ogden, replacing it with buses. There's finite money and not easy decisions for what to do with that money.

We've seen the PTC scenario play out in smaller situations. For example in Utah, The UP told The Utah Transit Authority (UTA) that the UTA was going to have to pay to install PTC on a stretch of line they used North of Ogden. UTA decided that it wasn't worth paying the cost for 35 passengers a day and is discontinuing train service North of ogden, replacing it with buses. There's finite money and not easy decisions for what to do with that money.
I like your quote from Railroad.net that sums up the situation simply.

"The state is unwilling to cough up more money for Railrunner, so the current plan coming from NMRX is to cut down to the maximum allowable trains (6 RTs) for an exemption and gain more time to install PTC. NMRX is not including Amtrak or freight in those 6 slots, all 6 trips will be Railrunners. Rio Metro is already warning about service cuts for the forseeable future because of this, they aren't going to accommodate Amtrak at the expense of their tax paying citizens. Therefore Amtrak will not be allowed to run in NMRX territory until PTC is installed or another way is approved by the FRA."

BNSF doesn't want Amtrak on the Transcon, so what is Amtrak to do?

Source?
Years of reading Trains mag and during the internet era different forums with posts from actual BNSF employees.

Just one example. Read RRspatch replies to this subject

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=93631&start=660

I sometimes forget this is not a rail fan site, there are posters here new to the situation. This idea of moving the SWC to the transcon is nothing new. For the longest Sante Fe then BNSF wanted to move the SWC off the little used line through Raton. And this is not the first time the SWC has been threatened with extinction because of the route it takes. Amtrak balked for years because the transcon route would bypass ABQ, even though the SWC would gain Amarillo. Now there is RailRunner to make the connection at Belen to ABQ and directly into Santa Fe.

From five years ago, about rerouting the SWC

http://www.amarillo.com/news/local-news/2013-05-25/amtrak-mulls-amarillo-route

I hope the reroute happens, should happened back in the 90s. Gaining a major population like Amarillo (some extent Lubbock) and still servicing ABQ and Santa Fe is a winner for this financially low performing train.

I guess few remember when a choice was made way back when the Desert Wind was axed instead of the SWC. I remember it was a very close call.
I'm far to young to remember that, but I can easily think of a few good reasons that the Desert Wind could be preferred over the Southwest Chief. Las Vegas was a much bigger loss than Albuquerque. Denver and Salt Lake City would also provide more traffic than Kansas City to/from the west, while if I remember correctly Kansas City had direct corridor service to Chicago via St. Louis at the time. Because the route ran fewer miles as a stand-alone train, it would likely also be cheaper to operate. However, it took about 8 hours longer than the Southwest Chief. It is a similar situation to the Florida trains, with the SM being a popular express train serving no major cities between Washington and Jacksonville, while bypassing Florida's second largest metro area. The SS is more lightly used and takes longer, but it serves Raleigh and Tampa. I would support preserving it over the SM, as many SM passengers would switch to the SS if it were the only option, as most popular city pairs are still served, even if it is a little slower. Meanwhile, many of the popular city pairs on the SS are not served by the SM, so those passengers would be lost if the SS was lost.
While I would be disappointed by the loss of the SWC, if it resulted in the gain of the Desert Wind that would be essentially net neutral in my opinion. However, having no direct route between the second and third (and indirectly the first) largest cities as well as the largest Amtrak corridor hubs would be terrible. The TE would still exist, but that is only tri-weekly and takes almost a full day longer. There are so many complaints about losing the LSL NYP branch, which is just a cross-platform transfer and takes slightly longer. I can't imagine what it would be like on this forum if the LSL and CL were to disappear so the only CHI-NYP option was the Cardinal, which would essentially be what is happening to the Southwest-Midwest/Northeast market if the SWC was cut up.

Source?
I clicked over to that board but had to scroll a lot farther down to see the answer to this. The quotes provided here favor the reroute but further down the page it discusses BNSF's reasons for its opposition. Still coming from rank-and-file, but they sound like valid considerations.

Source?
Years of reading Trains mag and during the internet era different forums with posts from actual BNSF employees.

Just one example. Read RRspatch replies to this subject
RRspatch can make a great case for why his former coworkers don't want Amtrak on this or that segment of the transcontinental line, but dispatchers don't write access contracts or dictate corporate obligations and legal remedies. Right now Amtrak is on BNSF track and if BNSF refuses to maintain that track they'll have to provide some other reasonable accommodation prior to the current line becoming impassible. That could be today or next week or several years from now, but the obligation does not cease to exist unless BNSF takes Amtrak to court to force the issue or Anderson sabotages Amtrak's side of the contract.

Well don't forget the Southwest Chief serves more unique markets than a City of Los Angeles (I don't use crappy Amtrak made names where it's possible) because amtraks version was combined with the California Zephyr for the tenure. So serving the ex ATSF gave more service to more areas.

I bet Philly would be majorly peeved if the only Chicago train was the Cardinal. It should be noted Byrd had it out in legislation that protects that route.

Source?
Years of reading Trains mag and during the internet era different forums with posts from actual BNSF employees.Just one example. Read RRspatch replies to this subject
RRspatch can make a great case for why his former coworkers don't want Amtrak on this or that segment of the transcontinental line, but dispatchers don't write access contracts or dictate corporate obligations and legal remedies. Right now Amtrak is on BNSF track and if BNSF refuses to maintain that track they'll have to provide some other reasonable accommodation prior to the current line becoming impassible. That could be today or next week or several years from now, but the obligation does not cease to exist unless BNSF takes Amtrak to court to force the issue or Anderson sabotages Amtrak's side of the contract.
Not true, actually. The problem stretch is on NMRX territory, not BNSF. So BNSF has no obligation to provide an alternative in this case. This is different than when BNSF proposed to downgrade the raton route.

Source?
Years of reading Trains mag and during the internet era different forums with posts from actual BNSF employees.Just one example. Read RRspatch replies to this subject
Not true, actually. The problem stretch is on NMRX territory, not BNSF. So BNSF has no obligation to provide an alternative in this case. This is different than when BNSF proposed to downgrade the raton route.
I think I see what you're getting at. So for now the BNSF portion remains intact (at reduced speed), and the PTC can be waived due to limited PAX traffic and lack of HZMT, but on the NMRX portion all of the available waivers will be used up on local traffic leaving nothing for Amtrak. Even if Amtrak lobbied for moving to the transcontinental route they would still be forced to give up ABQ without NMRX. Do I have this right?

Well don't forget the Southwest Chief serves more unique markets than a City of Los Angeles (I don't use crappy Amtrak made names where it's possible) because amtraks version was combined with the California Zephyr for the tenure. So serving the ex ATSF gave more service to more areas.
That's true, but the SWC is more dominated by Long-Distance passengers than most other trains. The only major corridor served during the day is Chicago-Kansas City, with Albuquerque being overnight to Los Angeles, Riverside/San Bernardino, Kansas City, and Chicago. This can be seen in the ridership statistics, which show that the primary destinations for Albuquerque passengers are Los Angeles and Chicago, with only 2 of the top 8 destinations being under 800 miles. On comparable routes such as the CZ, shorter distance travel is more popular. For example, some of the most popular destinations from Denver include Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs, Lincoln, and Omaha. This is because the CZ has many cities that are destinations and not just towns that happen to be on the railroad route. Stations with at least 15,000 annual passengers exclusively served by the CZ include Osceola, Omaha, Lincoln, Denver, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Salt Lake City, and Reno, for a total of eight . On the SWC, there is only Newton, Raton, Albuquerque, Gallup, and Flagstaff that generate 15,000+ passengers and that are on this route alone. If the criteria becomes 40,000+, 4 CZ stations and 2 SWC make the list. The busiest of these stops on the SWC is Albuquerque, which has barely over half of Denver's passengers and is comparable to Reno. Meanwhile, the EB travels through even more rural territory than the SWC, but in that case the lack of highway access drastically increases train ridership. Of course the smaller markets can add up, but that is true of any route. When considering the distance it travels and the relatively lightly populated areas it travels though, it easy to see how the route is undervalued until the endpoints are considered as well as the connection possibilities. I would be happy to see evidence otherwise, but it seems to me that if this plan is implemented both trains will fail to last more than a couple of years.

If the rumored split does happen, ABQ-LAX could stay an overnite train or a day train. The CHI to somewhere in KS train could swing south and re instate the Texas Chief to FTW absorbing the Heartland Flyer. Just an idea.

The better plan is to keep the Chief whole and force both Gardner and Anderson out. And get someone who appreciates the National Network for what it is.

The better plan is to keep the Chief whole and force both Gardner and Anderson out. And get someone who appreciates the National Network for what it is.
And what does that do for Amtrak's future? I doubt there's anyone internally that will want to rock the boat or drastically change things, even if it seems to be for the better. Any external candidates would likely be spooked away if they see someone was forced out, especially if they were following the direction of the board and what the law requires.

I don't agree with this idea to make the middle part of the SWC a bus bridge. It'll kill through ridership, probably won't really save much money after accounting for lost income, and it adds to the complexity of the trip. However, I'm not sure if there's something behind the scenes that makes the Transcon impossible or impractical (I'd hope Anderson reached out to BNSF to discuss a move to the transcon) or if he truly thinks that this is the best move considering the factors involved. I also think that Amtrak needs someone to rock the boat, question old habits, and try some truly new ideas, even if it'll anger some people. Anderson is doing that, and that really needs to happen to Amtrak if it wants to be relevant for the general public, at least outside of a few corridors. Whether Anderson will be a net positive for Amtrak and intercity public transportation relevancy remains to be seen. However, other than this particular proposal I haven't seen any actions that make me think he's trying to make rail travel irrelevant; rather, he's trying to find ways to make and keep Amtrak relevant to a broader section of the population. Private cars and sit-down diner service don't matter to most of the traveling public; on-time performance, convenient schedules, and safe and reliable travel are much larger factors, and so far he seems to be focusing on at least some of those aspects to improve them.

Back