4 In A Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
I know folks are always trying to figure out ways to book 4 in a Bedroom, but I just got off the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle where we had a Mom and her 3 young kids piled into a single Roomette from LAX headed to somewhere in Arkansas! Neither the Conductors or Car Attendant said anything about it; so either she was able to pull a "fast one" or find some kind of loophole to get that done. Of course by day 2 the 2 older kids (about ages 4 and 5) were freely wandering the hallway and empty rooms and the baby had puked all over their Roomette, something I'm sure the Attendant really enjoyed. As enjoyable as the trip was, that was one part I was glad to get away from at FTW.

Is there some kind of loophole that makes this a legal booking? If so it needs to be closed.

Wow....just.....wow.....
mda.gif

Maybe they oversold the bedrooms and she agreed to a roomette?

Last edited by a moderator:
Non-berth service will only allow you to ticket 4 children in a roomette, not an adult and 3 kids.

However, if one of the kids was under 2 (which is likely if the eldest were in the 4-5 range), they wouldn't require a ticket and the booking was legal. No loopholes.

Edit: And really, would you rather the woman have to tried to deal with the kids in coach? If they couldn't afford a bedroom, sounds like they did just fine.

Tip, buy coach tickets, when onboard ask the conductor to upgrade to roomette, when we says only two people are allowed, hand him a 50 dollar bill and say, "i thought they hold 4?" thats how you do it.

Tip, buy coach tickets, when onboard ask the conductor to upgrade to roomette, when we says only two people are allowed, hand him a 50 dollar bill and say, "i thought they hold 4?" thats how you do it.
Am I Correct by you saying you would be holding 4 in a roomette and bribing the conductor??

I'll add this. If my guess is correct. DO NOT TAKE THIS TIP!!!!! Simply because roomettes are meant to hold two persons. NOT four. Unless it's the children guidelines listed above. Not to mention rooms often sellout which makes it hard to upgrade on board and if the Conductor wants to do the paperwork if a room IS open for the taking.

OT I thought that Unaccompanied Minors were NOT allowed to travel overnight. Am I correct? Or are their different rules for Sleeping Accommodations?

Edit: To add Info/Questions

Am I Correct by you saying you would be holding 4 in a roomette and bribing the conductor??

I'll add this. If my guess is correct. DO NOT TAKE THIS TIP!!!!! Simply because roomettes are meant to hold two persons. NOT four. Unless it's the children guidelines listed above. Not to mention rooms often sellout which makes it hard to upgrade on board and if the Conductor wants to do the paperwork if a room IS open for the taking.

OT I thought that Unaccompanied Minors were NOT allowed to travel overnight. Am I correct? Or are their different rules for Sleeping Accommodations?

I was kidding man, for all means, I wouldn't bribe people. you would have to be an idiot to bribe a conductor.

It doesn't have to be non-berth service. Only an agent can book it, you cannot do it online but 3 in a roomette is possible with one adult and two children. In this case, probably, only the two toddlers were ticketed the baby was not.

For those members with a copy of Amtrak Service Standards Manual # 6, April 30, 2011, see page 8-69.

I was kidding man, for all means, I wouldn't bribe people. you would have to be an idiot to bribe a conductor.
On AU we have jokes but this isn't one of them.

I was kidding man, for all means, I wouldn't bribe people. you would have to be an idiot to bribe a conductor.[/size]
Generously tipping a sleeping car attendant in advance for exceptional service, though, is merely good manners.
The only problem I have with that is you could tip say $20 and the SCA could give your version of slow service when you up fronted for good service. IMO if they want a tip they should earn it!

I'm in no way a 'snitch' but if I was forced to be in a room near this circus, I'd be making a fuss. If the SCA would not listen, it would be to the Conductor. And if that did not absolve the problem, you can bet there would be a long list of phone calls and letters to Customer Service.

An adult and two kids in a roomette is pushing it. More than that, and I'm sorry. Not happening, especially under the circumstances listed above.

An adult and two kids in a roomette is pushing it. More than that, and I'm sorry. Not happening, especially under the circumstances listed above.
How is that pushing it? Those berths are six foot in length. Two little kids fit up there on the top bunk quite nicely. Their two little butts fit in one seat together just as comfortably.

I know. I travel with my two kids often and they are now 8 and 10 and yet they still sleep on the top bunk without problems.

4 kids in a roomettes doesn't have to be unaccompanied. mom and Dad can be in the room across the hall.

It doesn't have to be non-berth service. Only an agent can book it, you cannot do it online but 3 in a roomette is possible with one adult and two children. In this case, probably, only the two toddlers were ticketed the baby was not.

For those members with a copy of Amtrak Service Standards Manual # 6, April 30, 2011, see page 8-69.
Thanks, I didn't even think to look at the other set of tables. :)

I'm in no way a 'snitch' but if I was forced to be in a room near this circus, I'd be making a fuss. If the SCA would not listen, it would be to the Conductor. And if that did not absolve the problem, you can bet there would be a long list of phone calls and letters to Customer Service.

What exactly would you complaint be? It's a legal booking. Amtrakmgets to make the rules, not you.

Hi,

I always feel my hackles rise when folk criticize parents who travel with youngsters by train. It sounds a difficult task to travel with a sickly babe in arms and two youngsters, maybe us "railfans" could step up and offer the parent some friendship and assistance, rather than firing off complaints. I know it is the parents responsibility to see to their kids needs, but maybe a child who has been allowed to roam and explore a train will grow up in a happier frame of mind than one told to "sit down and behave" at all times?

Ed :cool:

Ryan I see your point about unaccopanied minors. How I was looking at it was true sleeper service. Aren't those minors supposed to be off the train by a certain time?? I think it's 11 or midnight. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: And really, would you rather the woman have to tried to deal with the kids in coach? If they couldn't afford a bedroom, sounds like they did just fine.
Yes, I would. Sleeper passengers paid extra for the quiet and comfort of a sleeper. Not to be bothered by this situation.

Hi,

I always feel my hackles rise when folk criticize parents who travel with youngsters by train. It sounds a difficult task to travel with a sickly babe in arms and two youngsters, maybe us "railfans" could step up and offer the parent some friendship and assistance, rather than firing off complaints. I know it is the parents responsibility to see to their kids needs, but maybe a child who has been allowed to roam and explore a train will grow up in a happier frame of mind than one told to "sit down and behave" at all times?

No, it is NOT my job to babysit or have to put up with out of control kids when I am traveling. When I was growing up, if I misbehaved my back end could quickly be several stinging degrees warmer thanks to a little disciplinary action from the folks. And it usually worked.

I get so tired of the 'poor parent' guilt trip. What, did she catch a cold and end up three kids at the end? The train is not your personal rumpus room and the staff are not your babysitters. So why would paying passengers be expected to come to the rescue? This lady (and her partner) made the choices that resulted in more children than she (they) knew what to do with. If it was just one child I'd be far more likely to help, but in that case she probably wouldn't need any of my help in the first place. Then again where I live it's apparently considered better form to have multiple mediocre offspring than to raise a single productive professional.

:wacko:

I get so tired of the 'poor parent' guilt trip. What, did she catch a cold and end up three kids at the end? The train is not your personal rumpus room and the staff are not your babysitters. So why would paying passengers be expected to come to the rescue? This lady (and her partner) made the choices that resulted in more children than she (they) knew what to do with. If it was just one child I'd be far more likely to help, but in that case she probably wouldn't need any of my help in the first place. Then again where I live it's apparently considered better form to have multiple mediocre offspring than to raise a single productive professional.

:wacko:
I really hate to come accross as a crumudgeon, but I have to agree with you and OH. Far too often today parents dont act as parents and it does impact others. One reason I prefer to travel in October and April (and take a sleeper) is that I dont have to deal as much with unruly children. Perhaps this mother should not have taken it upon her to travel with that many children without accompanying help. I feel real sorry for the people in the diner in this situation (if they didnt choose to eat in their roomette).

David

Seattle

Hi,

I agree with this.

And maybe, just maybe, children who are treated with a little patience and understanding will have an enjoyable train trip and grow up to be rail fans and supporters, thereby helping ensure Amtrak's always shaky future.

Yes, I would. Sleeper passengers paid extra for the quiet and comfort of a sleeper. Not to be bothered by this situation.
Than shut your door and mind your own business. Try walking a mile in someone else's shoes, rather than try to (falsely) claim that they were breaking the rules.

You paid for a room and you got a room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back