Entertainment on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzKillington

Service Attendant
Amtrak should have better entertainment on their long distance trains, at least for sleeping car passengers. When you're in the same place for upwards of 48 hours at a time, they should do things to make sure people don't go crazy. It's kind of depressing when you are done with lunch at 1:00 and have nothing to really look forward to until your 6:00 meal... or after dinner, you look forward to bed at 11:00. I understand some people like to watch the scenery go by, but people with small children or with shorter attention spans might appreciate something to occupy their time... especially after dark. Maybe (with some new equipment) Amtrak could add an extra lounge car to their trains for this purpose. In it, there could feature coin operated games, vending machines, organized games for the passengers and maybe live entertainment (by the crew?)... and even a movie theater on the lower level with various movies playing at certain times. The wine tasting sessions should be expanded to all long distance trains and put in this type of car.

In a really far fetches scenario, how about leasing a car to a company like Dave & Busters. They could charge their high prices for games and turn a profit while paying a fee to Amtrak for hauling the car.

Just some thoughts... anyone else have anything that could make long trips more enjoyable?

Amtrak should have better entertainment on their long distance trains, at least for sleeping car passengers. When you're in the same place for upwards of 48 hours at a time, they should do things to make sure people don't go crazy. It's kind of depressing when you are done with lunch at 1:00 and have nothing to really look forward to until your 6:00 meal... or after dinner, you look forward to bed at 11:00. I understand some people like to watch the scenery go by, but people with small children or with shorter attention spans might appreciate something to occupy their time... especially after dark. Maybe (with some new equipment) Amtrak could add an extra lounge car to their trains for this purpose. In it, there could feature coin operated games, vending machines, organized games for the passengers and maybe live entertainment (by the crew?)... and even a movie theater on the lower level with various movies playing at certain times. The wine tasting sessions should be expanded to all long distance trains and put in this type of car.

In a really far fetches scenario, how about leasing a car to a company like Dave & Busters. They could charge their high prices for games and turn a profit while paying a fee to Amtrak for hauling the car.

Just some thoughts... anyone else have anything that could make long trips more enjoyable?
Bring a book. How old are you, 12?

Amtrak already has the finest form of entertainment available during the day-it's called a WINDOW :)

I agree - I did a 6-day trip last year about this time and hardly set foot off the train. I enjoyed just watching the scenery go by, talking with other passengers, following our route with a time table and map. Why would anyone want to do things on a train they can do for free at home?

I think a Dave & Busters car would be a great idea myself. Even for the broken record types that can't stop shouting about the windows, you'd think they'd prefer a true dome and/or trailing observation car with fancier club style atmosphere that moves beyond the cheesy vinyl benches and cheap plastic tables we currently have. I know there are some folks who are worried that if Amtrak offered better service they'd be further lampooned as a taxpayer funded land cruise. Well, since they're already being lampooned why not actually live up to the title for once?

I did a three day trip last May and I only brought my iPad with me for "on train entertainment". When I needed a break from window watching or it was dark out, I used the ipad for watching movies, playing games, or reading books.

I also used it to type an extensive travel journal of my trip. That was really fun to do and really passed the time. Sitting in the lounge car facing a window with an iPad on my lap was great. Beats a luggy laptop. And now I've got a nice recap to read when I want to remember the small details of the trip.

But that one device really made the long rides seem like nothing when I needed a distraction.

Last edited by a moderator:

I certainly hope this post is a joke. If it isn't, I suggest you don't waste your money on a train trip and just go to the shopping mall instead where all of this is available to you.

"and maybe live entertainment (by the crew?)... "

That's pretty amusing. Maybe the Dining Car staff can put on a Broadway production in Bedroom E of one of the sleepers. Meanwhile in Coach, the Conductor and LSA put on a bathroom remodeling class, complete with balloon animals for the kids. Every hour they can hold a raffle where the winner gets to operate the train until the engineer sobers up from the drinking game he's hosting in the Baggage Car.

Bring a book. How old are you, 12?
With replies like that, hmmm, how old are YOU?

I agree with DAX, it would be nice to have some form of entertainment for the in-between hours. I bring a book, GPS, computer, and usually have WiFi. But If I had the choice of those vs. some organized game/show/presentation/wine-tasting, I'd be sure to attend. Whilst I don't think video games are a good option on board, (the selection on the CS is abysmal, and only one was operational) it would be nice for a certain segment of the traveling public to have options.

Not all rail travelers like to shoot pix or stare out the window 24X7 (like I did yesterday, the FRONT window of a push-pull Amtrak-Cali Surfliner)

Even tho my son (who was 13 last year) and I talked in advance about all the cool things to do, see, read, etc., on our X country trip last year (CS=EB-CL) he spent 95% of his time in the room, hands-n-eyes glued to either his iPodTouch or my iPad. (Dis-allowed from now on)

It's funny to hear HIM retell the story now, about how he "missed all the cool stuff" 'cause he was so into his electronics, but the point is, not everyone likes to sit there and gaze out the window.

Auto-Train has movies, Coast Starlight has video entertainment, plus the previously mentioned video room, (calling it that is being generous) but other LD trains could benefit from something add'll too.

Remember, the rail-fan loving public is an incredibly small percentage of the rail-traveling public...........

Different strokes for different folks. If I were forced to ride on a "Dave and Busters' (That is: Chuck E. Cheese for Grownups) type car, I wouldn't take the train. I hate noise and chaos.

I take a couple of big thick books with me and look forward to hours of uninterrupted reading time - or to having the book open on my lap and half-reading as I watch out the window. I'm actually considering investing in a Kindle or similar just to lighten the load in my carry-on. (Seriously: I usually travel with four or five books: the novel I'm currently reading, the non-fiction book I'm currently reading, a back-up non-fiction in case I finish that, and something light and fluffy like a "cozy" mystery novel. Yes, I travel places where they have bookstores...)

I also knit and have carried knitting and worked on it on the train, though these days I find I welcome the long hours of reading time more.

Amtrak already has the finest form of entertainment available during the day-it's called a WINDOW :)

I agree - I did a 6-day trip last year about this time and hardly set foot off the train. I enjoyed just watching the scenery go by, talking with other passengers, following our route with a time table and map. Why would anyone want to do things on a train they can do for free at home?

Ditto! And ditto also for my 12 year old grandson! He enjoys the window for short periods and in between, he has his Ipod! :) :)

But I will repeat myself, "WE" (those who frequent the AU forum) are NOT the average Amtrak rail-traveling public.

We ride the trains because we'd ride any damn train leaving any damn station in any damn county, any WHERE.

"John Q Traveling Public" is simply looking for basic transportation between Point A and Point B, and is usually "willing" to try something new, like a train.

But I will repeat myself, "WE" (those who frequent the AU forum) are NOT the average Amtrak rail-traveling public.

We ride the trains because we'd ride any damn train leaving any damn station in any damn county, any WHERE.

"John Q Traveling Public" is simply looking for basic transportation between Point A and Point B, and is usually "willing" to try something new, like a train.

You left out the Damn before WHERE! :eek:hboy:

We were on the Cresent for two days and my 15 year old daughter didn't even watch the 5 DVDs she took with her. She was having fun looking out the window and reading her book. At the end of the trip she wanted me to schdule another trip. Honest, entertainment was not an issue with me or her.

There is definitely a difference between how railfans see Amtrak train rides and how the other members of society see it. It is silly to say you wouldn't ride Amtrak trains if they had this kind of entertainment on it, because no one would be forcing you to go to that car. You could feel free to read a book at your seat if you choose to do so. This would be for people who do not care to see vast amounts of the same thing going through places like Iowa... or for night time travel. Also, wives and family of "railfans" who don't find the ride as amusing as you do would probably be much more willing to ride the train. You wouldn't necessarily hear the excuse of "why take the train, when you can drive there in much less time." Also, people wouldn't even notice every time a train is sitting at a stop signal waiting for a freight to pass and getting later by the minute.

This whole thing would appeal to a new type of person who would look forward to the time on the train, instead of a necessary evil to get to a place where you are going. It is true that not everyone likes to just look out the window constantly. If the railroad could figure out a way to turn a profit on it, I don't see a downside.

I disagree with the blanket notion that people that don't agree must be railfans that couldn't possibly understand/represent what "normal" people would want.

My objection is strictly from a pragmatic point of view. Amtrak is in the business of moving people from point A to point B. Any dollars spent on something other than that is a waste of money. How about we solve Amtrak's real problems (capacity constraints, uncertain funding, wildly uneven quality) first, before trying to solve their made up ones.

Anytime I travel Amtrak, most folks are asleep as soon as it is dark and the lights go down. They are sprawled all over in various positions and seats. I do not think they are in the mood for entertainment.

Trying to picture what type of entertainment, I have never been to Dave and Busters, so I have not a clue. In the past we have discussed a piano bar, video games, fashion shows, karaoke and comedians. These were solidly voted down, some in CAPITAL letters! Haahah.

I think the best entertainment is as been said, No Entertainment. Let the car sights and sounds be the entrainment and ones imagination act as a window to the world. Maybe a good book and the sight of people talking and having a good time.

In a Perfect World Amtrak would be more like a Cruise Ship with all forms of entertainment. That said, if you get bored on Amtrak that easily on LD Routes, as much as I hate to say it, then why not fly? It's cheaper & quicker!!!

In a Perfect World Amtrak would be more like a Cruise Ship with all forms of entertainment. That said, if you get bored on Amtrak that easily on LD Routes, as much as I hate to say it, then why not fly? It's cheaper & quicker!!!
They have a theater downstairs in the Pacific Parlor Car. On my roundtrip to Portland week before last it was empty most of the time. The Coast Starlight has a video arcade in the lower section of one of the coaches. I only went in there once. There was a guy sleeping on the floor but nobody playing the games.

My objection is strictly from a pragmatic point of view. Amtrak is in the business of moving people from point A to point B. Any dollars spent on something other than that is a waste of money. How about we solve Amtrak's real problems (capacity constraints, uncertain funding, wildly uneven quality) first, before trying to solve their made up ones.
I really agree with this, and can't imagine Amtrak putting more nonrevenue cars on any train. Why have an entertainment car when you could have another sleeper, which would actually bring in income?

Amtrak isn't in the entertainment business. When I get on a train, I bring what I need to keep myself occupied till I get to my destination. That's my responsibility, not Amtrak's.

Two summers ago on our first coast-to-coast trip with our 7 year old granddaughter, we brought card games, her ipod, Nintendo game, books, cameras, etc. She met several nice kids to play games with in the lounge car. We were never bored. We are repeating this trip in June and this time my granddaughter and myself each have a Kindle loaded with books. We are expecting another really great cross-country trip.

In the past, the Crescent has had a dixie land band in the lounge, on their way to Mardi Gras and the passengers love it. Occassional entertainment like that is welcome, but there are people who don't want to be disturbed. By the way, the lounge car employee loved it, because people were buying lots of drinks and his tip money increased greatly! The Crescent has also worked with the Kennedy Center in DC to bring entertainment to the area. They were mostly younger entertainers and they did short bits on the platform at the longer dwell times and did some on-board entertainment. Having regularly scheduled entertainment would not be sensible in my opinion, but unexpected small tastes have been welcomed by employees and passengers.

Someone starts a thread asking what folks would recommend or wish for whenever they get bored looking out the window. Half of the responses completely ignore the actual question in the opening post and simply repeat the part about there being windows on the train. Some even add BOLD CAPS just in case the OP somehow forgot that there are windows on the train before posting. Yes, we know there are windows on the train. Several folks spend their entire post mocking the idea that anything else would ever be wanted and a few decide that if any additional entertainment is ever provided they'll simply refuse to ever ride another train again. Very few folks appear willing to admit that it's even possible to get bored on a train in the first place. Doesn't matter what time of day it is or how many times you've seen the exact same desert scene over and over and over again, it's just impossible. That kind of knee-jerk regurgitation serves no purpose in my view. If the OP asks about non-window related suggestions and all someone can think of is to ignore the obvious and keep recommending the window anyway, then what's the point of posting? Do folks really think if they just keep recommending the window that suddenly that dull desert scene will become captivating again? That we'll suddenly grow night-vision eyeballs for after-hours viewing pleasure? I just don't get the point.

This whole thing would appeal to a new type of person who would look forward to the time on the train, instead of a necessary evil to get to a place where you are going. It is true that not everyone likes to just look out the window constantly. If the railroad could figure out a way to turn a profit on it, I don't see a downside.
A few years ago, there was a company that rented DVD players (I forget the company's name) stocked with movies, TV shows, games, etc... - but not enough people used them. (I think the WINDOW and meeting other passengers provided more entertainment!
rolleyes.gif
) BTW - That company went bankrupt - and is no longer among us!
sleep.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back