Late-night Amtrak arrival in Indy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am delighted to discover this forum!

I will be taking the Hoosier or Cardinal from Chicago to Indianapolis for the holidays. The scheduled arrival is after midnight, and I don't want to drag older family members downtown from the suburbs at that hour so I plan to stay the first night at a hotel. I know there's a Crowne Plaza that is near or adjacent to the station. Does anyone know if that area is safely walkable for a female alone with a train arrival after midnight?

With many thanks in advance!

downtown indy is safe. the amtrak station doesn't give you that impression, however. if you're familiar with chicago, it's certainly no worse than walking from chicago union station to the nearest El stop.

the crowne plaza is actually in the old union station, so it's not really much of a walk (attached, but not sure if it's "connected"). we stayed at the omni, which is also a very close walk. worse case, call a cab for the short ride.

I will be taking the Hoosier or Cardinal from Chicago to Indianapolis for the holidays. The scheduled arrival is after midnight, and I don't want to drag older family members downtown from the suburbs at that hour so I plan to stay the first night at a hotel. I know there's a Crowne Plaza that is near or adjacent to the station. Does anyone know if that area is safely walkable for a female alone with a train arrival after midnight?

The hotel might have an "airport" shuttle that could pick you up.

When you come out of the station doors on Illinois Street you will head north back under the bridge the tracks are on. That distance is almost a block of being under the bridge and it can be very dark. The area is also usually dirty and filled with litter. If you have any qualms at all, it might be best to spend $5-8 on a cab even though it would only be a 3 minute trip. I walked it once after coming in on The Cardinal and I wasn't real excited about having to do so. Didn't have any problems, but you may not want to take a chance, especially with a lot of luggage in tow.

The prices at the HI at the station can be quite pricey, too. And, if something is going on at the dome, they many times sell out.

If you are thinking about a cab, there is a Courtyard Marriott just west of the station that might give you a better deal.

Thanks to all. MrFSS, that's exactly what I needed to know -- thank you for so clearly explaining/illustrating the route! I could see it was close, but now I know this is clearly not a walk for me after midnight. It's so helpful to know this kind of info in advance.

Does anyone know if there is a taxi stand or if there are typically cabs waiting at the station to meet the train? Also, does the inside seem like a reasonable place to wait if a cab needs to be called?

Thank you.

Thanks to all. MrFSS, that's exactly what I needed to know -- thank you for so clearly explaining/illustrating the route! I could see it was close, but now I know this is clearly not a walk for me after midnight. It's so helpful to know this kind of info in advance.
Does anyone know if there is a taxi stand or if there are typically cabs waiting at the station to meet the train? Also, does the inside seem like a reasonable place to wait if a cab needs to be called?

Thank you.
The station is also the Greyhound bus station. There are usually lots of people in the station when the train arrives. I didn't see anything unsafe about the waiting area. There are usually cabs waiting for the train the several times I have arrived. Again, out the Illinois side doors, there is a small circle for cars and cabs to pull in and pick up passengers. That's where the cabs usually wait. If none are there you could look out the South Street doors, there might be some there, too. There are Amtrak employees on duty at the arrival time, too, who can assist if you need help.

MrFSS, you paint wonderful word pictures! Now that I can visualize everything, I feel much better. (I'm more confident in Chicago and NYC where I know my way around.) Many thanks.

MrFSS, you paint wonderful word pictures! Now that I can visualize everything, I feel much better. (I'm more confident in Chicago and NYC where I know my way around.) Many thanks.
Well a picture is worth a bunch of words, they say.

Indystation.jpg

downtown indy is safe. the amtrak station doesn't give you that impression, however. if you're familiar with chicago, it's certainly no worse than walking from chicago union station to the nearest El stop.
the crowne plaza is actually in the old union station, so it's not really much of a walk (attached, but not sure if it's "connected"). we stayed at the omni, which is also a very close walk. worse case, call a cab for the short ride.
the walk from Union Station to Quincy (closest el stop) is a breeze! I've walked it several times after dark, prob. as late as 11 ish?? and never felt slightly uneasy.

I've been to Indy before but I really can't remember the station very well, however long dark underpass does sound familiar. The Crowne Plaza could very well have a shuttle that could pick you up, I'd give them (or any other hotel that you choose) a call just to see before paying for a taxi, even though it shouldn't be too pricey to go 1 block haha.

One note on the Crowne Plaza you can acutally stay in retrofitted Pullman Sleeper cars. My dad got a room in one a few months ago. :lol: So depends on how big of a rail fan you are!

Maybe I'm just an old man, but as a father of two daughters, I wouldn't want them walking in any large city after dark alone. Take the cab and be safe! $5 to 8 is a small price to pay for a little piece of mind. Who knows with a cab you might be able to find a lower priced hotel further away from the station and even save a few bucks to cover the cost of the cab.

Maybe I'm just an old man, but as a father of two daughters, I wouldn't want them walking in any large city after dark alone. Take the cab and be safe! $5 to 8 is a small price to pay for a little piece of mind. Who knows with a cab you might be able to find a lower priced hotel further away from the station and even save a few bucks to cover the cost of the cab.
I'd feel like **** and a massive hypocrite if I rode a cab anywhere that public transit runs. And I'd feel worse taking public transit a distance of less then 5 blocks. Big cities are generally safe at night. Especially New York. You're always safe if there are people mulling around.

I'd feel like **** and a massive hypocrite if I rode a cab anywhere that public transit runs. And I'd feel worse taking public transit a distance of less then 5 blocks. Big cities are generally safe at night. Especially New York. You're always safe if there are people mulling around.
I'd agree with you. I despise the whole idea of taking cabs for several reasons, and avoid them like the plague; whereas I have no problem with the walking in cities at night. Quite enjoy it, in fact.

It's less the case for women though, for understandable reasons, hence the "reclaim the night" movement that's been going on where I live, in the name of women being able to feel safe on city streets at night.

One thing I would say here is that if a number of people coming off the train head down that way, then strength in numbers - you should have no problem if you stick with that crowd.

Thanks, all. I appreciate the photo(!) and extra info and advice. (Good point about seeing if there is a crowd to walk with, BTW.)

While I'm a huge public transit fan -- proudly car-free for more than a decade! -- the train arrives at 12:15am, long after the last IndyGO run :)

Just walk, and with the new Amtrak rules, carry an electric gatling gun with you. Nothing to worry about on the walk.

Hi GML, you have described yourself as being a tall, large, youngish male person. Your honest feelings about walking in a city at night are your own.

For me, a woman, I hate being on the street at night, it was bad enough before I got robbed at gunpoint walking home from work on "my" street when it wasn't even dark out. I have been followed, accosted, harrassed, any number of times and I'll give the whole thing a pass whenever possible. Can't stand being on the street at night although I am glad I moved to a smaller, safer city.

Experiences differ, a big guy cannot translate his attitude, feelings, experiences to those of a lone female on the street, day or night really. It's just not the same, and I have noticed guys don't use their imaginations in this regard very much. It never occurs to them that someone might feel unsafe for good reason.

Hi GML, you have described yourself as being a tall, large, youngish male person. Your honest feelings about walking in a city at night are your own.

For me, a woman, I hate being on the street at night, it was bad enough before I got robbed at gunpoint walking home from work on "my" street when it wasn't even dark out. I have been followed, accosted, harrassed, any number of times and I'll give the whole thing a pass whenever possible. Can't stand being on the street at night although I am glad I moved to a smaller, safer city.

Experiences differ, a big guy cannot translate his attitude, feelings, experiences to those of a lone female on the street, day or night really. It's just not the same, and I have noticed guys don't use their imaginations in this regard very much. It never occurs to them that someone might feel unsafe for good reason.
Very fair points, and speaking as someone who has a close female friend who was badly attacked some years ago, I wouldn't condemn anyone for jumping in a licensed cab. I think GML's 'advice' here is not really relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
One note on the Crowne Plaza you can acutally stay in retrofitted Pullman Sleeper cars. My dad got a room in one a few months ago. :lol: So depends on how big of a rail fan you are!
What is the room size like?

Is it something like a real train sleeping car room?

Or is it like at the Chattanooga Choo Choo where one unit of space is half a railway car. Thus, the interior is not really that realistic looking.

Still a neat experience.

What is the room size like?

Is it something like a real train sleeping car room?

Or is it like at the Chattanooga Choo Choo where one unit of space is half a railway car. Thus, the interior is not really that realistic looking.

Still a neat experience.
Bill - I've seen the Choo-Choo cars and the idea is about the same in IND with a couple of exceptions.

The cars in IND are inside. You don't have to go out doors to get to them.

The cars at IND are much nicer looking, IMHO, than in Chattanooga.

They have been completely restored to 5-star hotel standards.

Here are some pics I took a few years ago.

8958414_027.jpg

8958415_028.jpg

8958416_029.jpg

I wish I could spend a night or two in one of them.

I dun like them. I think it looks Disney-fake.

I've always wondered if I could start a hotel using old sleeping cars. You know, a budget place, small rooms. Single Slumbercoach, $15, double slumbercoach $25, Roomette $30, Bedroom $55. Something like that.

Hi, I live in Indianapolis and am very familiar with the area. I would not want to walk this dark underpass at night by myself or with other women (yes i am female). I go along with the suggestion of taking the cab. There are a lot of homeless people that hang out in this stretch.

Hi, I live in Indianapolis and am very familiar with the area. I would not want to walk this dark underpass at night by myself or with other women (yes i am female). I go along with the suggestion of taking the cab. There are a lot of homeless people that hang out in this stretch.
Aloha

I don't disagree with your recommendation about a cab to advoid walking in a dark area. Being aware of your surrondings is how one stays safe. But I do feel the expression "lot of homeless people" is unfare to the truly "homeless" as compared to "bums" that are homeless (or not) because they are to lazy to work and maintain a home and job.

No one should ever place themselves in a unsure position. If you are uncomfortable then you will do something that puts yourself at risk.

I dun like them. I think it looks Disney-fake.
I've always wondered if I could start a hotel using old sleeping cars. You know, a budget place, small rooms. Single Slumbercoach, $15, double slumbercoach $25, Roomette $30, Bedroom $55. Something like that.
Add Baggage car to consist for Youth/Elder Hostel - $5.

In my travels, I have met many homeless people that, with the occasional exception of ignoring panhandle laws, are as law abiding and good natured as any other person, perhaps more so. I am not from Indianapolis, and as Cascadia alluded to, I'm a huge man, and pretty strong, so perhaps my suggestion is based on an unfair perspective.

However, for every homeless bum I have met that would rape/harass/accost a defenseless woman, I have met one that would just as quickly come to their aid. Groups of homeless people are a community, and like any community they tend to police themselves. They exist in whatever location they are in by the sufferance of the jurisdiction they are in, and they know it. A major homeless shelter I know is NYP. They remain mostly quiet and, aside from minor panhandling, are not a problem. Partly because they know that if they become a problem, Amtrak will start rousting them out of the station, and they lose the "home" they have.

I take offense to the attitude that you have that the presence of homeless people makes an area unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back