City of New Orleans Christmas Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shytown

Train Attendant
My son will be traveling home to Chicago for winter break from college in NOLA. This is his first Amtrak trip; he has a round trip ticket for a coach seat.

I have lots of questions - -

1.) Is the City of New Orleans crowded? If so, how early before departure should he get to the station in NOLA?

2.) He will need to check in and pick up his ticket at the station in NOLA. Are there long lines during the holidays like at airports?

3.) Throughout the 19 hr. trip, can move to other seats if they are available? Does he move his carry-on bag each time he moves?

4.) Will his bag be safe if he goes to the lounge car? I'm not sure if he should move his stuff every time he changes his location.

5.) He will be traveling with his cello in a hard case. It's SUPPOSED to fit in the overhead. We've heard conflicting info: that he should secure it to the metal railing with a bike lock, while others say it will be fine. Again, he'd like to enjoy himself w/o feeling like he can't leave his instrument unattended.

6.) Can he leave his things on-board when he gets off at the different stops?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I will have more questions. ha!

My son will be traveling home to Chicago for winter break from college in NOLA. This is his first Amtrak trip; he has a round trip ticket for a coach seat. I have lots of questions - -

1.) Is the City of New Orleans crowded? If so, how early before departure should he get to the station in NOLA?

2.) He will need to check in and pick up his ticket at the station in NOLA. Are there long lines during the holidays like at airports?

3.) Throughout the 19 hr. trip, can move to other seats if they are available? Does he move his carry-on bag each time he moves?

4.) Will his bag be safe if he goes to the lounge car? I'm not sure if he should move his stuff every time he changes his location.

5.) He will be traveling with his cello in a hard case. It's SUPPOSED to fit in the overhead. We've heard conflicting info: that he should secure it to the metal railing with a bike lock, while others say it will be fine. Again, he'd like to enjoy himself w/o feeling like he can't leave his instrument unattended.

I can't answer all of the questions, but I'll go with what I can.

1) Thanksgiving and Christmas are indeed busy travel times on Amtrak. As far as arrival to the station, will he already have his ticket or will he need to get it from the agent on the date of travel? He can go to the station a couple of days early and have the ticket printed, so that on departure day all he does is show up and board when passengers are called. Otherwise, I'd allow some time for him to get the ticket before departure time. Since the City originates in New Orleans, you don't so much have to worry about the train arriving late--it can leave late, but at least at the terminus you're not wondering when the dang thing will pull into the station.

2) I'm not familiar with the New Orleans station at peak travel times, but as I said above, it's possible to go pick up the ticket a day or two early, thus negating the line-waiting for a ticket.

3) Hard to answer this one, as it can depend on a particular train or even a particular conductor. In my experience, usually they try to group people according to destination, so that you have all the folks going to Chicago in one section, with other destinations similarly grouped. When he boards and has his ticket taken, the conductor will write his destination on a slip of paper and tuck it above his seat. SOME conductors allow a person to move (taking the slip with you) to another seat, but when the train is full, that practice may be discouraged. And, of course, there might not be anywhere to move.

4) In general, your stuff is safe, though I'd not want to leave a laptop or other electronics at my seat. There have been people who got things stolen while they were in other places on board, as unfortunately there are always people around who will do that type of thing. I usually store my stuff on the baggage rack downstairs, and I've never had a problem, but I for sure wouldn't leave anything valuable in my bag anywhere.

5) If possible, I'd secure it to something, just to be on the safe side. The overhead racks are basically shelves rather than the enclosing ones on airplanes. There is a lot of room up there--whether it will fit a cello, I'm not sure. The downstairs rack would have enough room, I'd think. Could he check it?

6) Unless he's a smoker, there aren't a lot of 'get off' opportunities, really. Even at smoke stops, you're encouraged to stay right by the train. I'm not familiar enough with the City's schedule to know if there are any longer stops, but regardless...I wouldn't go far. I've never taken my stuff with me off the train, but again I haven't traveled with expensive stuff, either.

My son will be traveling home to Chicago for winter break from college in NOLA. This is his first Amtrak trip; he has a round trip ticket for a coach seat. I have lots of questions - -

The City of NOL is usually more crowded toward the CHI end of the line, should not be too much trouble leaving out of NOL. No set time for arrival at the station but just for relaxation get there an hour or two eary, just sit there and relax.I am just speaking for myself on that point.

People rarely have need to move to another assigned seat. It screws things up for the car attendants, i.e knowing where to put people who board at stops beyond NOL. Seats can be changed but seldom are, and you must ask the car attendant if you can do it. The Christmas crowding further up the line will probably discourage that.

Not sure exactly how to do the instrument but in general do not expect any need to move things around. I have never seen anyone bring their stuff into the lounge car. It is much safer of an environment than that.Of course you do not want to leave your wallet on your seat!!

He should not be getting off that much. There will be very few stops where people are allowed to get off, Memphis is the biggie. He definately does not bring his stuff off if he does get permission to stand around and smoke or whatever by the car door.

He needs to think of himself relaxing in one seat and not moving anything around and being very careful about getting off at stops. ALways ask the attendant if there is time. Such stops are often announced.

Thanks to Blake and Bill.

I realize that I should call Amtrak with some of these questions but sometimes I find non-employees more helpful.

1.) So, do you know how early you are allowed to board?

2.) Also, I didn't know the coach seats were assigned. I thought they were first come, first serve. That's why I thought one could move around at ease. He has no reason to get off at stops. Didn't realize they were so brief.

3.) Also didn't know that you could purchase tickets at the station in advance. But that will be a relief to have them in hand. He will have to cab it over there.

Thanks to Blake and Bill.
I realize that I should call Amtrak with some of these questions but sometimes I find non-employees more helpful.

1.) So, do you know how early you are allowed to board?

2.) Also, I didn't know the coach seats were assigned. I thought they were first come, first serve. That's why I thought one could move around at ease. He has no reason to get off at stops. Didn't realize they were so brief.

3.) Also didn't know that you could purchase tickets at the station in advance. But that will be a relief to have them in hand. He will have to cab it over there.
Regarding your third point, if it was me, I would just wait to pick up the ticket(s) on the day of the trip. Have your son use the Quik-Trak machine at the station instead of going to the ticket counter. In order to use the Quik-Trak machine he will need to have the confirmation page from Amtrak.com that was sent when the reservation was first made. The machine reads the reservation from a bar code and will print the ticket once it is approved by the passenger.

The only stops which have a separate arrival time and departure time are Memphis and Carbpndale, IL. Memhis arrival is at 10pm and leave at 10.40. And if it arrives late, that does not guarantee staying the full 40 minutes, it might easily just stay 30 minutes or so, if all the station work can be done in that time. Carbondale arival is at 3.11an depart at 3.15.a.m.

Jackson is a larger city of course and it might stay several minutes there but even so the timetable only lists a one time stop schedule of 5.44 p.m.

Is the CONO still called the 'chicken bone run' by the on board staff? I wouldn't leave anything of value where someone could pick it up.

Yes, it is called the chicken bone local by the OB crews. Christmas, Thanksgiving and Mardi Gras are the busiest times for this train. There are other times when you would think you were riding a deadhead train as there are so few pax. In regard to Bill's comment on seating I have seen where the conductor will fill a Chicago car up between NOL and Jackson with the other coach(es) relatively empty, usually with 'shorts'; people going short of the final destination until the hordes get on at Memphis and Carbondale. Another factor you may want to consider is the eating on board. All that is available is the Cross Country Cafe or CCC, which is totally inadequate when the train is booked solid. He might want to grab a Subway inside the NOL depot just in case they can't get to seat him.

1. As others have already mentioned, this train's ridership soars and plummets according to the season and holiday. Winter break is near Christmas, so I would plan on the train being fairly full if not sold out.

2. I agree with others that you should purchase the tickets online with the option to pick them up at the station or the QuikTrak automated ticket machine at New Orleans Union Station. I would plan to arrive 45-60 minutes ahead of departure time to be sure that you have adequate time for printing tickets and a delay in traveling to the station.

3. The Coach Attendant will likely assign seat numbers during boarding at New Orleans. Since your son will be traveling the entire length of the route, he will be seated in a coach with other passengers that are traveling to Chicago. With the coach full, and nearly everyone destined for Chicago, there will be little to no opportunity to change seats. As others have mentioned, if you do change seats, you will likely confuse and frustrate the coach attendant.

4. I would trust leaving my bag with clothes and toiletries in the overhead or lower level luggage storage. I would carry my computer bag with me if I were going to the Cross Country Cafe. There is no separate Sightseer Lounge car on this train, just the combined and cramped single Cross Country Cafe that serves as both a small lounge and dining car.

5. If you can lock it with the bike lock then I think that would be great additional peace of mind. If you can't I wouldn't be worried. I can't see much reason to think someone would want to steal a cello on a moving train, where would they hide it?

6. There are very few stops he'll be able to get off at. If the train is on time, he'll be able to step outside at Jackson, Memphis, and Carbondale (if he's up). He should stay train side, ready to board at the conductor's all aboard call or the engineers sounding of the train horn.

I hope he enjoys the trip, I have on two previous round trips in the opposite direction.

Cheers,

David

Chicago, IL

Aloha

I have seen a lot of different cello cases in my career. Most of them will fit in the rack above the seats. but a few of the larger cases my not. Especially if the cello is a bass cello. Unless he has a true road case I would not check it in baggage. Generally the rule for carryon luggage (includes instrument) If you can carry if your are fine. If the CONO is a single level coach the is what the Storage area will look like.

719893758_pEs7M-S.jpg

Sorry I don't have a picture of a Superliner car bagage storage.

As others have said I would not worry about anyone stealing a large bag or cello while away from his seat, I always carry my camera though while I am away from my seat. I have left the computer in it's bag while I am in the lounge or dinner.

Fantastic info from everyone. Thanks to everyone.

His ticket was reserved online several months ago.

I went ahead and called Amtrak today and the reservationist was extremely helpful. Really put my mind at ease. She echoed much of what was posted here.

She also said the cello will fit in the overhead bin. Thanks for the photo GG-1.

All is good. If anyone thinks of anything else, be sure to post!

I'm a regular traveler on the CONO. Here are my thoughts and suggestions:

1) Yes, it's usually crowded this time of year, but more so north of Memphis. I would recommend arriving at the station at least 90 minutes ahead of departure time considering the business of the season.

2) The lines for tickets will be longer than normal, but nothing like you see at the airports. Train travel is less complicated than air travel, so not everybody who is boarding the train has need to stand in line.

3) I would recommend staying put once seated. This time of year seats are scarce.

4) I have never had a problem with my belongings in all the years I've traveled by train and by air. I am still careful about hiding my valuables and keeping a watchful eye on things. If ever I travel with something valuable or breakable, like a gift I purchased while on my trip, I always ship it home or to my destination by UPS and I purchase insurance. That's a much better deal than risk it disappearing on a train or a plane.

5) I believe that his cello will fit in the overhead compartment. If not, there may be room on the shelves at the lower level.

6) There are few opportunities to get off at stops along the way, and they are usually intended for people who need a smoke break. For a 19-hour trip, I would recommend staying on board throughout, unless he's a smoker.

Regarding tickets, I prefer NOT to have my tickets printed and mailed to me. I feel much safer getting my tickets printed at the station the day of my departure. Part of my reasoning is that I don't want to risk my tickets getting lost, misplaced, or left behind when I'm heading to the station. Another reason is that it's easier to change or cancel a reservation if the tickets have not been printed.

I will also say that, this being his first time riding a train overnight, sleeping will be a real challenge. I highly recommend bringing a therapeutic u-shaped neck pillow. It's much, much easier to rest while seated when you have the extra head support. I carry mine on the train and when I fly. I arrive at my destination much more rested than I ever did before!

Thanks to all once again.

He is bringing a book since there is no wifi.

The u-shaped neck thing is an excellent suggestion! He does have a sleeper booked for the return leg. Another excellent suggestion is not picking up his ticket until the day of departure. Misplacing the tix could be a problem in his case!

******** Another Question: *********

I'm guessing passengers in sleepers supply their own blanket/pillow. Personally, I would prefer to use my own anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah but what happens if the QT machine is down and the ticket agent is out to lunch or something then what do you do. you can't board without a ticket. sorry but i get my tickets in advance and store them in my laptop case which i bring along. he could store his tickets in the cello case. that way he can't forget his tickets unless he forgets his cello.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah but what happens if the QT machine is down and the ticket agent is out to lunch or something then what do you do. you can't board without a ticket. sorry but i get my tickets in advance and store them in my laptop case which i bring along. he could store his tickets in the cello case. that way he can't forget his tickets unless he forgets his cello.

good point.

arrrgghhh.....

I'm guessing passengers in sleepers supply their own blanket/pillow. Personally, I would prefer to use my own anyway.

Sleeping car passengers are provided with all bedding needed.

:)

Indeed, not only is it not necessary to bring any bedding of his own, the option is never even mentioned. It would just get in the way.

Many consider a sleeping car room to be a relatively luxurious way of travel, not just a means to an end. Now he will be widely disappointed if he is expecting a hotel room.......but if the only basis for comparison is an airline coach seat, a bedroom (more so than a roomette) can seem quite nice.

good point.

arrrgghhh.....
that won't happen to you. NOL is a big station there are plently of ticket agents and plently of ticket machines. your son will get his ticket.

Sleeping car passengers are provided with all bedding needed.

:)

Indeed, not only is it not necessary to bring any bedding of his own, the option is never even mentioned. It would just get in the way.

Many consider a sleeping car room to be a relatively luxurious way of travel, not just a means to an end. Now he will be widely disappointed if he is expecting a hotel room.......but if the only basis for comparison is an airline coach seat, a bedroom (more so than a roomette) can seem quite nice.
So, bedding is changed between trips?

Nah, he's not expecting a hotel room. He'll be fine & will find it all rather interesting, I'm sure.

He is bringing a book since there is no wifi.

The u-shaped neck thing is an excellent suggestion! He does have a sleeper booked for the return leg. Another excellent suggestion is not picking up his ticket until the day of departure. Misplacing the tix could be a problem in his case!

The times I've riden in coach overnight I've found it to be a little on the chilly side. I always bring a small light blanket. Can be used as a cushion also if not used as a cover or it can be pulled over your eyes to darken your space a little more.

'shytown' said

So, bedding is changed between trips?  

Nah, he's not expecting a hotel room. He'll be fine & will find it all rather interesting, I'm sure.

Yes, bedding is changed after use. As to the temperature in the cars it might be advisable to have layers of clothes to put on or take off. I often bring a pair if sweats to use for that purpose.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back