Questions about the bus SJC to SBA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Becky

I'm traveling from San Jose to Chicago. The major portion of the trip will be on the Southwest Chief. But between SJC & SBA is 6+ hours on a bus. Does it stop anywhere? How long? I'll need either a potty break or a catheter!

I'm traveling from San Jose to Chicago. The major portion of the trip will be on the Southwest Chief. But between SJC & SBA is 6+ hours on a bus. Does it stop anywhere?
This bus trip does include a "Meal Stop" two to three hours after leaving San Jose.

They seem to use fairly nice buses with restrooms on the Thruway buses in California.
Good. Amtrak's website said "no amenities". It wasn't clear (to me anyway) about the restroom.

And I'm glad there will be a meal break.

Thanks for the help.

I'm traveling from San Jose to Chicago. The major portion of the trip will be on the Southwest Chief. But between SJC & SBA is 6+ hours on a bus. Does it stop anywhere? How long? I'll need either a potty break or a catheter!
If in doubt and you want to get something it's not a catheter you want. What you want is a female urinal and they can be purchased at most drug stores or do a Google search online for internet purchasing. I got the male version for my trip last year because of the possibility of being bussed from Chicago to Kansas City. Fortunately the bussing stopped the day I was departing Chicago and I didn't need to find out if it would have been needed.

BTW, If you don't mind my asking, why did you chose a route that included the bus, especially the one with the greatest travel time when you could have chosen a direct route from San Jose to Emeryville then take the CZ to Chicago? The Capitol originates out of San Jose and arrives in Emeryville about one hour prior to the CZ departing. Your being that close to Emeryville there is little chance of being late. Even if you were driven to EMY to catch the CZ directly, that would be a better solution than bussing to a connecting train to LA then connecting with the SWC in LA. I don't get your itinery unless there is something you haven't mentioned!

I'd suggest leaving thirty minutes earlier and going via the Central Valley. Not nearly as scenic, but a considerably more comfortable ride.

BTW, If you don't mind my asking, why did you chose a route that included the bus, especially the one with the greatest travel time when you could have chosen a direct route from San Jose to Emeryville then take the CZ to Chicago? The Capitol originates out of San Jose and arrives in Emeryville about one hour prior to the CZ departing. Your being that close to Emeryville there is little chance of being late. Even if you were driven to EMY to catch the CZ directly, that would be a better solution than bussing to a connecting train to LA then connecting with the SWC in LA. I don't get your itinery unless there is something you haven't mentioned!
Couple of reasons for this route. First, CZ, according to amtrakdelays.com, is averaging nearly 3 hours late. I'm going onto Springfield after Chicago, so I really need to be able to make the connection.

Also, I've taken CZ before, which was wonderful! Great scenery, food, crew & passengers.

I thought I'd try the Southwest Chief. Different scenery - I've never seen the desert - & averaging only 30 minutes late. Sometimes it's ahead of schedule.

Couple of reasons for this route. First, CZ, according to amtrakdelays.com, is averaging nearly 3 hours late. I'm going onto Springfield after Chicago, so I really need to be able to make the connection.

Also, I've taken CZ before, which was wonderful! Great scenery, food, crew & passengers.

I thought I'd try the Southwest Chief. Different scenery - I've never seen the desert - & averaging only 30 minutes late. Sometimes it's ahead of schedule.
I understand your reluctance. That would only give you 1 extra hour for the connection if the train is 3 hours late. However If it were me I would have probably chosen a different plan.

I would have take the CZ going out presuming that the CZ Lincoln connection was guaranteed. If I missed the connection I would have let Amtrak put me up for the night in CHI and catch one of the two Lincoln runs the next morning.

Assuming this was a round trip I would have then made my return trip on the SWC since I believe there is a no bus connection back to San Jose.

With this plan I would have avoided the bus all together and got to enjoy both the CZ and the SWC. Matter of fact our reservation next year I did something similar. I'll be coming from Albany NY and will take the LSL to CHI. From there I will be taking the SWC to LA, stay there for a few days then head north to Portland OR. From Portland I'll take the EB heading back home. This plan offers me the opportunity to enjoy both the SWC (5th time) and the EB for the first time!

Anyway, good luck with the bus and enjoy the trip on the SWC. If you're in a sleeper and you get Efron as an attendant, I guarantee any monies you paid me that you'll have a good trip, service wise at any rate! :p

I'd suggest leaving thirty minutes earlier and going via the Central Valley. Not nearly as scenic, but a considerably more comfortable ride.
I think it would be a lot more than 30 minutes longer. If you go the Central Valley route, you start off by going north 50 miles, then east to Stockton before turning south, and you still have the bus from Bakersfiled to LA.

You won't be the only one needing a potty break during a 6 hour bus ride. I think the bus part of this would be a fairly scenic trip.

I would have take the CZ going out presuming that the CZ Lincoln connection was guaranteed. If I missed the connection I would have let Amtrak put me up for the night in CHI and catch one of the two Lincoln runs the next morning.
See that was part of the problem. Due to blackout dates, I wasn't able to carry the 2 zone guest rewards through to Springfield. With the CZ, I would only have the 7pm to Springfield. With the SWC, I have the 5:30-ish or the 7pm.

Anyway, good luck with the bus and enjoy the trip on the SWC. If you're in a sleeper and you get Efron as an attendant, I guarantee any monies you paid me that you'll have a good trip, service wise at any rate! :p
I'll see what I can dig out of the bottom of my purse for your monies :lol:

I think it would be a lot more than 30 minutes longer. If you go the Central Valley route, you start off by going north 50 miles, then east to Stockton before turning south, and you still have the bus from Bakersfiled to LA.
George, I swear that you must live in a different universe.

Stockton isn't 50 miles north of San Jose. It's about 55 miles straight line and 65 miles driving distance. The bus presumably takes I-880 to I-580 through the Altamonte Pass (which *is* scenic, I might add). You don't have to go north and then south to get there.

According to the current schedule. You can leave San Jose at 6:55am, go via the Central Valley, and get to Los Angeles at 4:15pm. Going via Santa Barbara, you leave at 7:25am and get to Los Angeles at 4:55. This is to say that, by the schedule, it takes ten minutes less time to go via the Central Valley.

I thought I'd try the Southwest Chief. Different scenery - I've never seen the desert...
I think you will really enjoy the SouthWest Chief. Here are your travel options:

1. Bus from San Jose to Santa Barbara, as you mentioned. It looks like you either need to take an overnight bus, or stay somewhere overnight to make your connection in Los Angeles.

2. Coast Starlight, San Jose to Los Angeles (10 AM to 9 PM). Great scenery, MUCH better than the Bus. Needs an overnight in Los Angeles.

3. Coast Starlight, off at San Luis Obispo (3:20 PM), overnight there. Next morning Surfliner to LAX (6:45 AM , arr. 12:10 PM). Guarantees Coastal Scenery by Daylight, good connection in Los Angeles.

4. Take the Capitol Corridor Train to Oakland, then the San Joaquin Train to Bakersfield, then Bus to Southern California. This can be done several ways, eg overnight in Los Angeles... or as follows:

5. My personal favorite, take the Train to Oakland in time for the 5:50 PM departure to Bakersfield, then take the Midnight Bus to San Diego (comfortable to sleep on the Bus, better than getting off somewhere in the wee hours). Arrives San Diego at 5:35 AM, giving you time to ride the Trolley System there and a Noon Surfliner to Los Angeles, arrives 3:00 PM, still time to ride the GoldLine Light Rail to Pasadena and back with good connection to the SouthWest Chief at 6:45 PM.

Enjoy!

George, I swear that you must live in a different universe.

Stockton isn't 50 miles north of San Jose. It's about 55 miles straight line and 65 miles driving distance. The bus presumably takes I-880 to I-580 through the Altamonte Pass (which *is* scenic, I might add). You don't have to go north and then south to get there.

According to the current schedule. You can leave San Jose at 6:55am, go via the Central Valley, and get to Los Angeles at 4:15pm. Going via Santa Barbara, you leave at 7:25am and get to Los Angeles at 4:55. This is to say that, by the schedule, it takes ten minutes less time to go via the Central Valley.
Got me. You are so right. I was thinking all rail, and not thinking about Altamont Commuter. I was thinking about taking one of the Capitol Corridor trains that originate in San Jose, go to Oakland / Emeryville / Martinez, take your pick, then getting a San Joquin train the rest of the way.

I was thinking all rail, and not thinking about Altamont Commuter.
You can do both. Take the ACE Train over the Altamont Pass! Leaves San Jose at 12:05 PM, arrives Stockton 2:15 PM. Bus from station to station in Stockton (2:30 to 2:40). Then the San Joaquin Train at 3:03 PM, arrives Bakersfield 7:26 PM, with Bus to Los Angeles arriving 9:50 PM.

This trip takes ten hours, one hour less than taking the Coast Starlight. It is scheduled to arrive in LAX 50 minutes after the Starlight... but I would think that on many if not most evenings you'd actually arrive well BEFORE the Starlight. With a departure time two hours later! The only drawback would be all the transfers involved (and the Bus links).

I've done each leg of this trip quite pleasantly, but not all on the same day.

You can do both. Take the ACE Train over the Altamont Pass! Leaves San Jose at 12:05 PM, arrives Stockton 2:15 PM. Bus from station to station in Stockton (2:30 to 2:40). Then the San Joaquin Train at 3:03 PM, arrives Bakersfield 7:26 PM, with Bus to Los Angeles arriving 9:50 PM.
This trip takes ten hours, one hour less than taking the Coast Starlight. It is scheduled to arrive in LAX 50 minutes after the Starlight... but I would think that on many if not most evenings you'd actually arrive well BEFORE the Starlight. With a departure time two hours later! The only drawback would be all the transfers involved (and the Bus links).
I took this route over the summer and it was quite pleasant. The noon ACE exists primarily to act as a thruway, so, of the six passengers who got on the two cars at San Jose when I went, four of us were on Amtrak tickets.

And the Coast Starlight did, in fact, arrive before we did, even thought the bus from Bakersfield arrived about thirty minutes early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back