XpressWest (nee DesertXpress) Adopts "Buy American"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RRIF is federal funding. It needs a ROD to get an RRIF loan. If it does not use any federal fund then it does not need a federal NEPA. It just needs to fulfill whatever requirements are there for the states involved.

For example, the RiverLINE in NJ was built with state funds, so there was no need for any federal EIS.

RRIF is federal funding. It needs a ROD to get an RRIF loan. If it does not use any federal fund then it does not need a federal NEPA. It just needs to fulfill whatever requirements are there for the states involved.
According to the fact sheet for the HDC project, the NEPA and EIS are funded with a mix of local, state, and federal money. The material on the project raises the possibility of a private-public arrangement for a 31 mile toll road segment, but I would expect a highway project of this size to have a considerable federal funding component regardless. The EIS for the HDC is going to be subject to federal review and a ROD.

Harry Reid Vows to Save Vegas HSR

Back in July it emerged that XpressWest’s federal loan application was being put on hold owing largely to concerns that the project would not meet federal Buy America rules. Nevada Senator Harry Reid vowed to work to save the project, and according to a radio interview he gave in Nevada last week, he is still working at it:

In an interview last week on “Nevada Newsmakers,” a political television program produced in Reno, Reid said he has spoken recently with White House officials about getting the project back on track.

“I’ve had conversations within the last week with the White House and with (XpressWest Chairman) Tony Marnell, who is the person who is putting up all the money on that,” Reid said. “(California Gov.) Jerry Brown loves it. I like it. It’s a pretty good start.”

Senator Reid has not yet revealed any news regarding the loan application, and it’s clear that the Buy America provision will have to be addressed for the loan to go forward.

Back