Would Purchased AGR points expire?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.T.

Train Attendant
My wife has under 50 AGR points. I think they might expire at anytime since her account shows no paid travel since 8/12/2008. I did transfer 1,000 of her points to my account this year so her account shows only that activity for 2011. Now I'm thinking of buying 10,000 points with the 3,000 point bonus for her before the end of the year (I've previously purchased my 10,000 points earlier this year). I could then share 2,000 points back to her account (or give her 2,000 of my Continental miles) and have enough points for a 1 zone roomette. Do you think it's possible she'd get the purchased points only to have all the points lost? Since it takes 'up to 3 weeks' for AGR points to show, even if she did a short trip before the 31st, could her points still expire? Any thoughts on this?

AGR points expire when you do not ride Amtrak within 3 years (that's 36 months)! I am very surprised that since her last Amtrak travel was 8/12/08 that they have not been removed yet!
blink.gif

My advice to you is to have her take a short (if that is possible) trip ASAP!
excl.gif
I don't know where you live, but it could even be 1 way and take a commuter train back. (Examples are:

• If you live around LA, take Amtrak one way and Metrolink the other way
  • If you line around Boston, take Amtrak one way and MBTA the other way
  • If you live around Chicago, take Amtrak one way and METRA the other way
  • If you live in Dallas or Ft Worth, take Amtrak one way and TRE the other way
  • Etc...
  • If it's not far, you could even pick her up!
    biggrin.gif

Even though it says "allow 3 weeks", I find most Amtrak travel posts within 1 week!
smile.gif

This is one reason that I try to schedule paid travel every 2 years.

BTW: Does she have the AGR MasterCard?
huh.gif
In that case, the AGR points NEVER expire!
biggrin.gif

On the one hand, I'd say "too risky." While it doesn't seem fair that recently purchased points can expire, there's no

particular reason that I know of that would prevent AGR from doing that.

On the other hand, you can "get away" with this if you immediately book the roomette award once all the points

are in her account. That way, there won't be any points subject to expiration. You can book the trip 11 months out...

and if you're not sure of your travel plans you could always book the trip now and then cancel/rebook later. Others, please

jump in if I'm mistake but I'm pretty sure this would work as a sort of insurance policy against expiration.

That said, if your wife only has less than 50 AGR points then obviously it's no biggie if they expire. So it really is an issue of how

important getting those bonus points for the purchased points is to you.

Back