Wolverine service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
I Noticed that Wolverine 350/355 was running with super liners along with a sightseer lounge,

And p-42 27.and 28 both in front. Never seen a sightseer on that route before!

Trainfan

The SSL might be on the consist because there is a shortage of coach/cafe cars?

Probably with all the cold weather, Amtrak is being safe and substituting superliners since they are less prone to freezing than single level cars, particularly horizon coaches.

Rats! I wish I'd known that. I'd have booked a points run today.

Amtrak had stopped using superliners on the wolverine route when it was upgraded to 110MPH as the superliners can only do 100MPH(well legally anyway lol). But with this rare cold snap amtrak must have decided enoughs enough with frozen cars.

Probably with all the cold weather, Amtrak is being safe and substituting superliners since they are less prone to freezing than single level cars, particularly horizon coaches.
Wow! That's a new one on me. I've ridden the Empire Builder many times in winter and experienced problems with frozen toilets, sinks and showers. The first sign of problems seems to be evidenced by plastic dinner wear and paper cups in the diner.

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.

Amtrak had stopped using superliners on the wolverine route when it was upgraded to 110MPH as the superliners can only do 100MPH(well legally anyway lol). But with this rare cold snap amtrak must have decided enoughs enough with frozen cars.
They're not going to be running at 110 in this weather anyway. It's sufficiently cold that there are going to be slow orders, so as to avoid stressing the rail and making it snap.

FAQ for those who don't know: The single-level cars have a lot of their equipment underneath the floor of the car, and it's usually uninsulated and unprotected from wind. (The new Viewliner IIs will be insulating and protecting it, apparently.) The result is that a whole lot of the equipment freezes up in windy, snowy weather. The Superliners have all their equipment "inside", so to speak, giving them a better chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back