Wireless internet: long-term trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good suggestions, thanks everyone. It appears that by the time Amtrak gets around to wiring the western LD trains for wi-fi, almost everyone will have a smartphone and not need to use it.
Won't be the case. In Europe, with rock-bottom cellphone data prices, it would be -- but here in the US, prices for data plans are very high and going UP. Lots of people will have smartphones and refuse to spring for the data plans. My fiancee just *deactivated* her data plan in favor of WiFi.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gent across from me last week on the CZ had a iPhone (which one??), but had dual carrier capability (didn't know that was possible), and he had coverage from WAS to CHI and all the way EMY - my impression was that the phone used whatever was available, or whichever had the highest datarate... don't know what such capability costs, but he was able to connect anytime he wanted (other than maybe Moffett Tunnel, etc)... but he used it to setup a local hotspot for his laptop, and was generous and shared the password so I could use my tablet. :) But given customer provided solutions as such, I wonder if Amtrak, or if we want Amtrak, to get involved in such (seeing it being a possible cost center).

Frankly, not having wi-fi on LD trains puts Amtrak at a competitive disadvantage against the airlines (who have wi-fi for a fee) or many bus services (which offer free wi-fi.) For many people in the younger generations (including myself,) wi-fi is, at minimum, a selling point just like having a lounge car, etc. is. After all, many people (including myself) don't have unlimited data, so offloading usage to wi-fi helps to save money and make sure that we don't go over our data cap.

I also noticed that cell phone signal doesn't penetrate the lower levels of the Superliner cars well, so there were a lot of areas even in Illinois or Iowa where I wouldn't have service in my lower level roomette, but if I was upstairs I could get good signal. That is extremely frustrating, and having a wi-fi option would help to alleviate that frustration (assuming it was working.)

I have mixed feelings about this. Sure, in an ideal world, I'd like "free" unlimited high-speed wi-fi included with my ticket on all AmTrak trains. But as others have pointed out, there are practical limitations. Some places just don't have coverage. Even with coverage, you will always find "data hogs" who monopolize the bandwidth by doing big downloads when on the train. To get decent service on a train, it will cost AmTrak money - money that will be passed along to you in your ticket price.

I enjoy using my iPad when on AmTrak. I can buy a 1 GB data plan from Verizon which costs me only $20 and will last me for about 5 days - far longer than any train trip I've taken. I consider this a reasonable solution, and I've had excellent coverage. On recent trip on CZ Denver to Chicago & return there were only a couple of spots in NE and IA where I lost coverage for perhaps 5 minutes.

So even though I'm a wi-fi fan, this isn't AmTrak's biggest problem and shouldn't be their highest priority. They should focus on schedule integrity, reliability and treating their customers well.

MIRider, thanks for your posts. I currently do not have a smart phone, but have a Verizon mi-fi. I am considering the ALLSET plan.
You're welcome, Penny :)

Keep in mind, the ALLSET plan is a smartphone plan and the LG Exceed 2 is a really nice phone and a deal, imo, for $50.

Before this new plan, I paid $55/month but Mobile Hotspot capability wasn't included.

Now I pay less and don't have to pay for and carry a separate MiFi.

Being a resident of one of those steep Appalachian Valleys ,,,

I had really crummy cell service at home

until I forked up about $300 for one of those Ericson antennas,,,,

now it is 3g all the time,,,,, with Verizon

This may not help you and I have no idea how much you pay for your dumbphone service but I going to put this info here anyway - someone else might benefit.

You can buy a prepaid Verizon smartphone and sign up for their new $45/month ALLSET plan that gives you unlimited talk & text and 500 MB of data.

The best thing with this new plan is that your phone also becomes a Mobile Hotspot that can share data with up to 5 compatible devices.

After you've signed up for Verizon's ALLSET plan you have the option to add data with bridge data:

$5/500 MB good for 30 days

$10/1 GB good for 90 days

$20/3 GB good for 90 days

500 MB is more than enough for reading email, browsing online, google maps, glympse, etc.

I used to carry a MiFi - one with T-Mobile and one with Virgin and the coverage was absolutely horrible compared to Verizon which, imo, has the best coverage of all the carriers.

I also paid more just for crappy coverage with those MiFis - no phone, talk, text.

There's no way way you're going to be able to stream with a mifi or hot spot so download your movies and music to your device(s) before you leave.

This is the phone I have and I love it.

4.5" screen Android

LG Exceed 2 phone - $50 from Best Buy with free shipping

BTW, the same phone is $80 from Verizon and at Walmart.

Here's the scoop from Verizon

Verizon AllSET $45/month unlinited talk & text and 500 MB Data
MiRider, I just came back from the Verizon Store in Orlando, where I inquired about the mobile hotspot capability. (when chatting on line with Verizon reps, I was told that not all phone have the ability to become mobile hotspots). A clerk at the Verizon store told me he was 1000% sure that phones using this plan cannot be mobile hotspots (and he was pretty rude about it).

Have you used your phone as a mobile hotspot yet? If so, how did it work? Did you get your phone activated on line or at a Verizon Store?

Thanks.

Penny, check this out:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2014/03/allset-prepaid-plan.html

Unlimited texting to Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico is also included so customers can text friends and family in those countries at no additional cost. And for a limited time, new customers on the $45 ALLSET PLANS for basic phone or smartphones will receive 1,000 minutes a month for international long distance calling to Canada and Mexico. Smartphone users on ALLSET PLANS also have access to the mobile hotspot feature on their devices to connect their additional devices like laptops to Wi-Fi networks when available

Sounds like the "phone wars" are heating up!

Upstarts like T- Mobile, Boost,Metro PCS, Virgin, Cricket etc. are giving the Majors a run for their money and Deals are once again being offered! That Verizon Plan sounds first rate!

This may not help you and I have no idea how much you pay for your dumbphone service but I going to put this info here anyway - someone else might benefit.

You can buy a prepaid Verizon smartphone and sign up for their new $45/month ALLSET plan that gives you unlimited talk & text and 500 MB of data.

The best thing with this new plan is that your phone also becomes a Mobile Hotspot that can share data with up to 5 compatible devices.

After you've signed up for Verizon's ALLSET plan you have the option to add data with bridge data:

$5/500 MB good for 30 days

$10/1 GB good for 90 days

$20/3 GB good for 90 days

500 MB is more than enough for reading email, browsing online, google maps, glympse, etc.

I used to carry a MiFi - one with T-Mobile and one with Virgin and the coverage was absolutely horrible compared to Verizon which, imo, has the best coverage of all the carriers.

I also paid more just for crappy coverage with those MiFis - no phone, talk, text.

There's no way way you're going to be able to stream with a mifi or hot spot so download your movies and music to your device(s) before you leave.

This is the phone I have and I love it.

4.5" screen Android

LG Exceed 2 phone - $50 from Best Buy with free shipping

BTW, the same phone is $80 from Verizon and at Walmart.

Here's the scoop from Verizon

Verizon AllSET $45/month unlinited talk & text and 500 MB Data
MiRider, I just came back from the Verizon Store in Orlando, where I inquired about the mobile hotspot capability. (when chatting on line with Verizon reps, I was told that not all phone have the ability to become mobile hotspots). A clerk at the Verizon store told me he was 1000% sure that phones using this plan cannot be mobile hotspots (and he was pretty rude about it).

Have you used your phone as a mobile hotspot yet? If so, how did it work? Did you get your phone activated on line or at a Verizon Store?

Thanks.
Penny, I have used the hotspot and it works flawlessly and my connection has been really fast too, better than it ever was with the MiFis.

It's true, not all phones have the capability.

If you look at the phones on the Verizon ALLSET plan link above (2nd link), you'll see the phones that work with the plan.

I can assure you and the clueless rep at the Verizon store that the LG Exceed 2 has that capability.

Anyway, click on the phones that are compatible with the ALLSET plan and then click the 'Capabilities' tab for the phone.

If a Hotspot is one of them, it will be under that tab.

Here's what I see when doing that:

There are 3 3G Verizon phones with Hotspot capability - LG Optimus Zone - LG Exceed 2 - Samsung Galaxy Slll *NO iPhones though*

I didn't look up the 4G phones but you can check them out.

Oops, I missed this part - I activated my phone online EASY and fast.

For some reason, my husband's account is screwed up so I had to call (UGH) but the rep was really nice and very knowledgeable and it helped that he had the same phone - he raved about finally being able to have a hotspot from his phone.

I'll keep an eye out on this thread and if you need some more answers, I'll do my best to answer them :)

There are 3 3G Verizon phones with Hotspot capability - LG Optimus Zone - LG Exceed 2 - Samsung Galaxy Slll *NO iPhones though*

MiRider, the person with whom I chatted (through the Verizon website) said that the iPhone 4s has Hotspot capability. I need to run to yoga class, but afterwards, I plan to phone another Orlando Verizon Store. Maybe their sales people are more clued in. I prefer to have a phone activated locally, but that may not be an option.

Thanks.

iPhone 4S has the capability. But I don't know if it's plan specific. I tested mine out recently and it worked (I have Verizons share data plan, whatever it's called).

I was thinking about, next year, undertaking an "around the country" trip on Amtrak; something I have always wanted to do.

I was on the Amtrak website getting together what possible fares would be (sleeper car would be used on all trains), and even that wasn't enough to discourage me, and was about what I would expect. What did, was the lack of wireless internet on these long-distance trains. It appears as though Amtrak has them on shorter distance trains.

I can't understand why this would be so difficult on the longer trains if they arrange it on the shorter trains (seems baffling to me that in 2014 Amtrak isn't doing this), so my question is, does Amtrak have any timetables for when wireless might be on ALL trains? Any links on the topic that can be provided for me to look over?

As much as I'd love to do the trip, WiFi is a must on board.
Good suggestions, thanks everyone. It appears that by the time Amtrak gets around to wiring the western LD trains for wi-fi, almost everyone will have a smartphone and not need to use it.

Of course, if 100 people on the train wanted to access the wi-fi, it would be very slow. I have never expected to do more than check my email on train wi-fi, even when it's "working." For an extra $15 a month to check it with my own phone, that's pretty expensive email for my budget.

MiRider, to get that "bridge data" do you have to first have a monthly plan? Who is it available from?

HAL, I'm sure you find it ironic that I have no cell service at my home, but you would probably not find it so surprising if you knew that I live 100 miles from the nearest freeway, and 200 miles by road from the nearest Amtrak station, surrounded by 6-9,000' high mountains. Yes, the middle of eastern Oregon is one of the blank spaces on the map for many things, including cell service. Many people wouldn't care to be so remote, but I love it and rarely feel the need to leave. When I do go outside my region, it's always my first choice to go by Amtrak. :wub:
I was just in two different towns in Wisconsin that had zero ATT service. I wasn't out in the woods; I was staying in these towns.

AT&T is really bad in Wisconsin. Especially western Wisconsin. I think there's still some gaps on I-94, actually.

I was often using my Sprint-powered (I use FreedomPop, which uses Sprint's network) mi-fi when going through Wisconsin to get data, because my AT&T phone wouldn't pick up a signal.

Edit: This might have changed somewhat, as their map looks better now. I'll believe it when I next travel through the area and actually keep signal, though.

MiRider, the person with whom I chatted (through the Verizon website) said that the iPhone 4s has Hotspot capability. I need to run to yoga class, but afterwards, I plan to phone another Orlando Verizon Store. Maybe their sales people are more clued in. I prefer to have a phone activated locally, but that may not be an option.

Thanks.
I Hope you find what you need.

All I have any recent experience with is Verizon's prepaid plans which is what the new ALLSET plan is.

I don't know anything about Verizon's current contract plans which may be the plans that give you hotspot capability with an iPhone.

I do know that the Verizon LG Exceed 2 phone that I have works perfectly as a hotspot with the $45 ALLSET prepaid plan.

Let us know what you find out if you don't mind.

Get a phone with a data plan.
A simple answer to a complicated problem. Got any suggestions for cost-effective data plans for someone who would use it about an hour a week when not on a trip?

There is no cell service where I live. Therefore, I have the cheapest cell phone I can find. It's a "dumb phone" and the plan does not include data.

If there's a cost-effective way for everyone on the train to provide their own data service, of course, it would be unneccessary for Amtrak to provide it for the train.
Virgin Mobile has some of the most cost-effective plans that include data with them. For $35/month you will get 300 anytime minutes or $45/month will get you 1200 any time minutes. There is no contract and you get unlimited data with those plans. You can also sign up to make your phone into a "hotspot" for as little as $5/day. That would get you an internet connection as long as your are in an area where there is cell service.

Thanks.
I Hope you find what you need.

All I have any recent experience with is Verizon's prepaid plans which is what the new ALLSET plan is.

I don't know anything about Verizon's current contract plans which may be the plans that give you hotspot capability with an iPhone.

I do know that the Verizon LG Exceed 2 phone that I have works perfectly as a hotspot with the $45 ALLSET prepaid plan.

Let us know what you find out if you don't mind.
Thanks. I just spoke to a salesperson from another Verizon Store in Orlando (about a half hour away) who took the time to do research and phone me back. He confirmed that yes, the phone that I am considering has hotspot capability AND they have it in stock. I will sleep on it until the weekend (since this will be my first smartphone and is a big step for me and do not have the time until then) and if I feel the same way, I will transition into this century this weekend with the $45 ALLSET prepaid plan. Thanks a million MiRider for your post and answers to my questions.

While at first I was missing wifi on the train, I have gotten so used to using my iPhone for everything. On my last cross country trip I didn't even open my laptop the entire time, and I just used the data on my iPhone plan on the CS, CZ & the LSL.

I think wifi is necessary on the NEC but I don't see the point anymore in rolling it out nationwide. It would be expensive and slow.

I mentioned it to Penny in a PM, but for anyone else considering moving on this - this is an AWFUL time to buy an iPhone. Apple is having an event on Tuesday where the a new iPhone is almost certain to be announced. Even if you're not interested in the new phone, the existing models will likely "slide down" in price points, so you can get an iPhone 5 next week or the week after for what you'd pay for a 4s today. It's definitely worth waiting a few more days to see what shakes out.

Also, given the bunches of people that are going to be upgrading, there's likely to be a lot of used phones on the market if that's your thing, too...

Yeah, I know people at the fruit seller. Don't buy an iPhone until mid-September.

It's still in the wink/nudge phase, but seriously. The 6 is on the horizon.

this is an AWFUL time to buy an iPhone. Apple is having an event on Tuesday where the a new iPhone is almost certain to be announced. Even if you're not interested in the new phone, the existing models will likely "slide down" in price points, so you can get an iPhone 5 next week or the week after for what you'd pay for a 4s today. It's definitely worth waiting a few more days to see what shakes out.
Don't buy an iPhone until mid-September.
Thank you Sarah and "my twin." I appreciate the advice and the fact that you both are looking out for the "old lady" still using her tracfone. Looks like I will be staying in the last century a bit longer. :lol:

As has been said in other posts, it's great to have AU friends!☺

Don't forget about Samsung phones ( Android) either, they are cheaper than Apple products and are really great all purpose hi- tech devices!

Yes there are leaked pix of iPhone 6 which will surely be announced on Tuesday the 9th.

Also I heard people were already lining up at the 6th ave apple store in NYC to try to get their hands on one.

Thank you everyone for all the responses. Learned a few things and I have decided that this will not get in the way of me taking the trip I am planning, around the country.

I wasn't planning on being glued to the internet the entire time, just some odds and ends type of things.

Thanks. I just spoke to a salesperson from another Verizon Store in Orlando (about a half hour away) who took the time to do research and phone me back. He confirmed that yes, the phone that I am considering has hotspot capability AND they have it in stock. I will sleep on it until the weekend (since this will be my first smartphone and is a big step for me and do not have the time until then) and if I feel the same way, I will transition into this century this weekend with the $45 ALLSET prepaid plan. Thanks a million MiRider for your post and answers to my questions.
That's great, Penny!

I love Android which is the operating system your phone will use.

I think you'll have a lot of fun with it and will be surprised at how much you can do.

If you use Google Chrome as your browser on your computer, you'll have access to all of your bookmarks on your phone too.

If you don't, consider switching.

If you don't have a Google account, set one up.

I believe Verizon stores also have a get acquainted class at their stores that helps newbies.

Btw, you're very welcome, I'm glad I could be of some help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back