will Amtrak ever employ me i am trying to get into this industry

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also i been thinking since someone on here said that Amtrak is customer service i been thinking doesn't my current job qualifies as that because i do help out customers when they are needed.

For example there are old people i help out to get into their electric carts to go out to shop and i always try to help, if they need it though, so case in point i do work in a job environment similar to Amtrak not in a moving train but in a retail store.

Does this help my way into Amtrak since i already serve a customer service job?

Brylove please begin to use a capital "I" when you refer to yourself. I am sorry to seem nit-picky, but when you state that you are working on your writing skills and want to know if it seems any better, those small i's just jump out at me. Again, it's basic stuff anyone should know in elementary school.

If you don't write that way on resumes, why do it here? How hard can it be?

Best to you.

Aloha

Have you considered what you will/want to due if for some reason Amtrak unemployment. I mean, God Forbid, the politico's kill Amtrak

Not really. Amtrak is a quasi-Government entity, much like the US Post Office. Amtrak is actually a private corporation controlled by Congress for funding.
I didn't know if that, given its so heavily reliant on government money, if Amtrak had been forced to implement a de facto hiring freeze. Unlike the de jure hiring freeze elsewhere.
Only 31% of Amtrak's funding comes from the Fed.

I agree with GG-1. You also need to have a backup plan, especially in this economy. As I said previously, I had interviews with Eastern Airlines and was one of the final 3 to be considered for the position. Luckily I did not get it, because within 1 year Eastern Airlines ceased operations! If I was hired, I would have been without a job 1,500 miles from home.

The reason I suggested one of the RR transportation companies, and yes ALL major RR's use them, is because it will get you in and around the RR employees who know what entry positions are available, and as stated before having a name to drop, or having your name dropped in the right place could be insurmountable in moving your career in the RR industry forward. These jobs are fairly easy to get and will put you right next to engineers,conductors, switchtenders, car repairmen, trainmasters, and dispatchers. Then you are free to "pump" them for helpful information. If you show as much zeal to them as you have showed us, you will have a good chance of breaking in to the industry

I know the grammer thing is getting annoying, i am sorry i am deeply sorry for this. I usually type when i speak but this isn't how i type for an Resume or a Cover letter, so i am working to make the revisions you guys told me to do. i have to be professional about this, i have to make it much more presentable. Is this the better writing that yall wanted? you see i am using periods commas and such. Another thing i want to add is it ok if i post my resume and cover letter to any of you please?
It's not annoying so much as it's hilarious. The longer this thread continues the more amusing it becomes. I guess you really can fool some of the people all of the time.

Thinking through this as an employer I can tell you that if you got to an interview you did something right on the front end, you got past the initial sniff test. So, it doesn't seem to me that your resume or cover letter are the issue, it was the interview. There are a countless series of things that could have gone wrong there which have been covered (appearance, smell, speech, etc.).

I think the biggest thing though is that while trains seem to be a passion for you, that isn't what you want to show in the interview, in fact don't mention it if at all possible. What you want to show is that you enjoy working with people, and want to make a difference in people's lives.

I've been in hotels for six years now, when I walk into an interview I don't talk about how much I love hotels, and that I love the decor, and all that. Do I have that geek moment in my head? Totally. But, what the employer wants to hear is that I have skills that are applicable to their operation, and that I will be a value added member of their team. You want to bring something to the table that helps the business. A passion for trains helps the business in a museum setting or historical society. A passion for safety and customer service helps in operating a passenger railroad.

Battalion51: Thank you i thought about that too i was dressed in a suit that day and i was nervous because of the fact it was my first interview with a Railroad Company, but your right i have to be more careful in what i am going to say, i know i will be getting another interview soon i recently applied to a couple of more places like Denver, Colorado, which i hear Denver has a Beautiful Union Station, it will be even more Grander and bigger with the upcoming Fastracks project, the future Xpresswest services, and the Future Frontrange High Speed Rail.

I don't mind where i apply to, i will pack my bags when they call me or give me an email i am waiting for them, and your right i will keep my passion for trains in the back mind, but the Safety and Customer service is what i will talk about more often to the employers.

Battalion51: Thank you i thought about that too i was dressed in a suit that day and i was nervous because of the fact it was my first interview with a Railroad Company, but your right i have to be more careful in what i am going to say, i know i will be getting another interview soon i recently applied to a couple of more places like Denver, Colorado, which i hear Denver has a Beautiful Union Station, it will be even more Grander and bigger with the upcoming Fastracks project, the future Xpresswest services, and the Future Frontrange High Speed Rail.

I don't mind where i apply to, i will pack my bags when they call me or give me an email i am waiting for them, and your right i will keep my passion for trains in the back mind, but the Safety and Customer service is what i will talk about more often to the employers.
Good idea, and sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but think about some things to say that will impress them rather making it sound as though you are saying that because you think that's why they want to hear. So if for example they ask whether you can be more specific about your passion for service, you can then maybe recount some espcially good incidents that you experienced in your life and that impressed you. They don't necessarily have to be Amtrak related but if they are they might feel flattered.

I hope your verbal presentation is better than your written presentation. Having said that, be prepared to answer questions such as: "Tell me about a time you provided great customer service."......"Tell me about a time you experienced poor customer service and how did you react?". "Tell me about how you would react to observing a fellow employee doing something against the rules."

I cannot emphasize enough how much you do not want to identify yourself as a railroad fan or someone fascinated by trains. Amtrak

wants employees focused on customer service, reliability, honesty and people willing to live with the long periods of time away from

home. Good luck!

I hope your verbal presentation is better than your written presentation. Having said that, be prepared to answer questions such as: "Tell me about a time you provided great customer service."......"Tell me about a time you experienced poor customer service and how did you react?". "Tell me about how you would react to observing a fellow employee doing something against the rules."

I cannot emphasize enough how much you do not want to identify yourself as a railroad fan or someone fascinated by trains. Amtrak

wants employees focused on customer service, reliability, honesty and people willing to live with the long periods of time away from

home. Good luck!
Interesting spacing technique, haolerider. Makes me curious to hear YOUR verbal presentation.

Both Brylove7 and haolerider's posts appear to employ poor copy and paste skills.

Good luck to both of you!

home. Good luck!
Interesting spacing technique, haolerider. Makes me curious to hear YOUR verbal presentation.

Both Brylove7 and haolerider's posts appear to employ poor copy and paste skills.

I suspect the spacing thing was a computer glitch, not his putting CR's in the wrong places.

Have any of you considered that the writing skills required for your chosen field are not necessarily required to be an attendant for Amtrak? Perhaps you're creating a benchmark for Brylove7 that doesn't need to be reached.

I, too, have done a lot of hiring in the customer service field. However, writing skills were not something we looked for. Is an Amtrak attendant or conductor going to have to write a letter to a customer, or a press release? No. At best, they probably have to fill out some forms. You guys are creating a requirement for this job that probably doesn't exist.

I suspect the spacing thing was a computer glitch, not his putting CR's in the wrong places.
Having personally met haolerider, I can attest that he has excellent verbal skills! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not annoying so much as it's hilarious. The longer this thread continues the more amusing it becomes. I guess you really can fool some of the people all of the time.
Have any of you considered that the writing skills required for your chosen field are not necessarily required to be an attendant for Amtrak? Perhaps you're creating a benchmark for Brylove7 that doesn't need to be reached.

I, too, have done a lot of hiring in the customer service field. However, writing skills were not something we looked for. Is an Amtrak attendant or conductor going to have to write a letter to a customer, or a press release? No. At best, they probably have to fill out some forms. You guys are creating a requirement for this job that probably doesn't exist.
IMHO, it has nothing to do with job skills, but has everything to do with making a good first impression. Grammar, spelling, style, etc, are all very important for the cover letter and resume when seeking any job.

I still remember when I was doing the interviews for a job opening in my group. Yea, most of us wear jeans at work. Its pretty informal here. However, I was totally "turned off" by the one applicant that showed up for this interview wearing jeans. I took it as a sign he wasn't serious, and guess what, I wasn't at all serious about hiring him. Didn't care what his qualifications might be.

IMHO, it has nothing to do with job skills, but has everything to do with making a good first impression. Grammar, spelling, style, etc, are all very important for the cover letter and resume when seeking any job.

I still remember when I was doing the interviews for a job opening in my group. Yea, most of us wear jeans at work. Its pretty informal here. However, I was totally "turned off" by the one applicant that showed up for this interview wearing jeans. I took it as a sign he wasn't serious, and guess what, I wasn't at all serious about hiring him. Didn't care what his qualifications might be.
I used to work temp jobs and always hated when I'd get an interview on a Friday knowing that the place I was interviewing at probably had casual Fridays and I had to "dress up". :eek:

People seem to forget that Brylove7 got an interview, so his Cover Letter/Resume passed that test. He also later mentioned that he wore a suit to the interview, so again, that was in his favor. It may be he did fine on the interview, but they selected someone else.

I'll apologize in advance if I have repeated anything already said, time is short for me, and reading three pages of comments for every thread of interest tonight is a no-go for me.

Amtrak is a hard mistress to get in to. Personally, I tried for them years ago, didn't make it, and am glad for that. I learned after 15 years of working for the railroad, that I like being a passenger (and subsequently, an advocate) more than being an employee.

I remember Ms. Ray, at Amtrak's HR main office in DC told me years ago. First thing, they do not want rail fans. Rail fans tend to be more distracted by operations than their own tasks and assignments. As a whole, most industry officials in other railroads have similar feelings. I even knew a couple of HR folks at RailAmerica and CSX who state they reject any applicant that even list model railroading, and railfanning as a hobby. (I know this will cheese a few rail fans off, but it's just the simple reality I have learned from HR personnel over the years in the industry)

Known quite a few railfan who have borked the interview becasue they start to foam at all the train talk, answers get in to technobabble, something the HR folks do not understand at all. Railfans tend to get overenthusiastic. In the eyes of HR personnel, and hitting managers, they come in with a preconceived notion of how the system works, how the trains run, and so forth. Again, not trying to be jerk, just speaking from direct experience.

And as for the one thing, Amtrak HR wants to see, and it should be stated in every possible way you can think of without appearing redundant, and this should be the first thing to appear on the resume is: customer service. Even at the federal level like Amtrak, customer service is everything. Granted, safety is the single most important aspect of the railroad industry and it trumps all else, HR wants to hear you place the importance of its passengers at the top.

I've been checking out this thread for a while, and I was left with an impression that the OP was incapable of using proper punctuation, capitalization, and grammar. While I realize that a lot of people are used to writing in text-message shorthand and can easily switch to standard business English, there is a segment of the population that just can't do it. I think most here were looking for signs that the OP could actually perform in a business setting, which is what the job entails. Being able to respond in standard American English would have been a good sign. Perhaps the written aspect may not come up that often in regular work. However, if the written habits we saw here translated to the OP's speaking style, I think we can all agree that the habits we saw (breathless sentences, excessive casual speak, etc) would still translate poorly if that's the OP's style of conversation.

As for interviews, I've heard any number of things in my industry, where business casual is typical. I've worn a suit to an interview, but now more often than not I'll wear a polo shirt and khakis. Once I interviewed in wool trousers (really nice ones I'd add), a dress shirt, my best loafers, and a tie. It was the end of summer and I didn't bring a jacket. The first person to interview me told me to take off the tie because it was making him feel uncomfortable. I got the job and worked there for years until business reality set in.

As sad as it is being a railfan really is a detractor in general. You don't want to let on that you think you know what's going on. Your job is to safely move the train from point A to point B and keep the people on board happy. You may be well served to go get a job in something that involves almost exclusively dealing with people in the interim, like a restaurant or hotel. They're part of the same umbrella industry (travel/tourism/hospitality) and would probably give you some comparable experiences to share in the next interview.

Again, not all fields are like that. At our company, we frequently never even get resumes or cover letters - just applications. From looking at Amtrak's website, it looks similar - "If there is information you want us to consider, be sure it is in your application. A resume is not a substitute for a thorough and complete application. List the position number and title for which you are applying on your attached resume." That sure sounds like the application is more important than the resume, and an application is just fill-in-the-blank.

So your saying i shouldn't put in the Railroad Experience that i worked in a Railroad Museum?

Shinkansen: I understand what your talking about, I understand that they want people to do their jobs assignments and such its why when i plan on my next interview i am going to do it with Safety and customer service experience in mind, the Rail technically stuff i will put it away like i don't know what a Railroad is, and put more professionalism.

Thank yall for this its been really helpful i am really glad to be a part of this community, I will accomplish my goals, i will be in the Railroad Industry, Travel the world and alot of other places, Find a wonderful Wife, Have Kids, experience different Cultures and places, learn alot of things history, science, etc, write a story, be an inspiration for others to go after their goals like some fictional characters and real life people have inspired me, and well many things.

I am sorry if i am repeating my goals alot but i need to aim for the future, its what i been thinking about alot, if not i will never be anybody successful, or an inspiration to others like kids or when i have kids.

IMHO, railroad museum does not equal railroad experience. If you worked for a Class I, II, III or commuter operation, it counts. Railroad museum equals railfan. Just my two cents...

So Amtrak won't like people who volunteer in a Railroad Museum?

Someone told me in the Museum who is one of the mangers said that "some people that were in the museum work in major Railroad companies like there was one who was in the museum is working on a major Railroad in the midwest" so with that i thought if Amtrak and these Railroads want people with experience then i should Volunteer for the museum, So i decided i had to join the museum so i could get familar with my career and where would it go with.

So Amtrak won't like people who volunteer in a Railroad Museum?

Someone told me in the Museum who is one of the mangers said that "some people that were in the museum work in major Railroad companies like there was one who was in the museum is working on a major Railroad in the midwest" so with that i thought if Amtrak and these Railroads want people with experience then i should Volunteer for the museum, So i decided i had to join the museum so i could get familar with my career and where would it go with.
Let me explain it this way: I used to hire a lot of people to work in customer service for a bookstore. When we asked people "Why do you want to work here?", people often answered "Because I love books!" That's the WRONG answer. When you work in a bookstore, you don't spend ANY time reading books - you spend all your time helping customers. If you want to work in a bookstore because you love books, then you'll probably spend too much time looking at books, and not enough time helping customers. Liking books a lot is a distraction when you're supposed to be helping customers.

It's like saying you want to work in a restaurant because you love food - you're not there to eat, you're there to work!

It's undoubtedly the same thing with trains. If you really like trains, the person interviewing you will probably think that you want to spend all your time looking out the window at other trains, rather than helping the customers on the train.

So, you can talk about your volunteer work, but talk about the WORK part, not the TRAIN part. Talk about how reliable and punctual you are, and how you really get along with everyone else there, and how you love interacting with the people who come in - answering their questions, helping them find what they're looking for, etc. Talk about how you keep your work area clean, and how you go above and beyond what you're supposed to do. Sure, talk about your volunteer work, but only talk about the parts that relate to doing good work.

Look at it this way- ultimately, your new boss doesn't really care whether you're happy, he or she will only care that you're doing a good job. Being around trains makes you happy, but it doesn't mean you're doing a good job. Talk about the things that prove that you CAN and WILL do a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back