Why Did This Happen?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylou

Train Attendant
Hi, everybody! Have a trip booked next month from GBB-CHI-WAS-FTL. We had a roomette booked for the portion from WAS to FTL. The other day, we got a call from Amtrak saying our roomette had been changed to the "H" accessible bedroom. No additional charge. Just thought this was odd. What if some other traveler needs the accessible bedroom? I feel kinda bad having this space when we don't need it! Just curious. Does this happen often?

Thanks!

Cindy

No, it doesn't happen very often. Perhaps the Silver was oversold for some reason, and instead of Amtrak calling you and saying your reservation will be cancelled, they revised your reservation putting you in the H-Room.

As one that uses the H-Room, I can say you'll be glad. The H-Room on a Viewliner is actually the largest room in the sleeper! In fact, it is larger than a bedroom! It also has a fully enclosed toilet and shower in the room.

I believe it is into the open period, where that room is no longer reserved for a mobility handicapped passenger. So, you have no reason to feel guilty.

I would venture a guess that someone wanted/needed two adjacent roomettes on that Silver, and Amtrak attempted to free yours up by offering you the larger bedroom.

Last edited:
Wow, if only I could get that lucky! Don't look this gift horse in the mouth...enjoy!

It could also be that Amtrak dropped 1 sleeper from the consist. I was booked in car 831 room 2 for next month and I received an email that I was moved to a lower level roomette in car 830. I was surprised when I first was booked in car 831 because I know 731/831 is usually dropped during the off season.

The one downside of H is that it's directly over the wheels, thus bounces a lot and is noisy. I travelled on the Crescent between New Orleans and Washington on business for years and loved it. So when my wife, who is handicapped, and I visited our son I suggested the Crescent...No, I Overhyped It. I had always booked a Roomette in the center of the car, so had no experience with H Room.

She was miserable, said she didn't sleep a wink and threatened me with severe bodily harm if I ever suggested rail travel again.

OK, she may have over reacted, but pleased be forewarned for this possibility. Personally, I didn't have a problem, but I'm a rail nut who has traveled in sleepers since 1935, so accept everything as merely a passing inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back