Why are all meals included on the Auto Train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You get the same things in coach on all LD trains. So no need to call it anything else IMHO.
I guess I don't see it the same way. On the Autotrain, you don't get the same things in coach as on all other LD trains. Specifically, you get more; your meals. Meals are not included with coach on any other Amtrak LD trains, I am pretty sure.
You are correct; meals are not included with coach seats on any other train. They also aren't included with coach seats on the Auto Train. I think that the issue here is that you’re thinking of accommodation in terms of a room. That’s not the correct definition here; again Amtrak is providing you with special accommodations when you pay extra for something. That something could be a sleeper & meals, or it could be a first class seat on Acela, or it could be the transport of your car & meals on the Auto Train.

Since it's quite clear on one's ticket, or eTicket now, that one is paying X for a seat and Y for the car, I see no need to call coach seating anything other than coach seating. The charge for your car appears in the accommodation charge box, just like if you brought a sleeper on a regular train. The coach charge is still called railfare like it always is. This coach seat is identical to every other LD coach seat in Amtrak's system. The meals are part of the accommodation charge, not part of the railfare.
That's the same way it is on non-AT LD trains. Every sleeper passenger pays railfare, and one pays the additional (roomette/bedroom) accommodation charge. That's how it is listed on that ticket. However, all sleeper passengers get their meals, even those only paying railfare.

As you state, on the AT, every coach passenger pays railfare, and one pays the additional (car) accommodation charge. However, all AT coach passengers get their meals, even those only paying railfare.

To me, that makes AT coach is more synonymous with non-AT sleeper class, than non-AT coach. And therefore deserved a more fitting name.
If I book my mom and I into a sleeper on the Silver Star, only my ticket shows an accommodation charge. But she still gets free meals in the dining car. It's included in the accommodation charge that I paid for the sleeper & meals. If I book my brother's family into the family room on the Capitol Limited, his ticket will show the accommodation charge for the room. But his wife and two boys will still get meals, even though their tickets only show a railfare.

No different than the Auto Train in coach, where one person pays an accommodation charge that includes money for transporting the car and money for the meals served in the dining car for all members of the party.

One person pays the accommodation charge, but all members of the party get the benefits that the accommodation charge provides.

That may be true, but you've got to look at it from the perspective of the average Joe out there. The extra charge is listed on the website as a "vehicle charge" - even when you go to check out, it lists "1 coach seat" and "1 regular vehicle" with the prices.

It certainly conveys the impression that meals are included in coach, which differs from every other LD train in the network and could certainly provide for confusion when an Auto Train passenger decides to take another train and is surprised when they're asked to pay for their meals in the Diner.

But, it's pretty obvious that Amtrak isn't concerned with a class of service providing for consistent services across the network, so this change will likely never be made. It'd be nice if they did strive for a little bit of consistency, it would certainly help set customer expectations appropriately. (and "Comfort Class" would be a great name for the Auto Train coach service).

That may be true, but you've got to look at it from the perspective of the average Joe out there. The extra charge is listed on the website as a "vehicle charge" - even when you go to check out, it lists "1 coach seat" and "1 regular vehicle" with the prices.

It certainly conveys the impression that meals are included in coach, which differs from every other LD train in the network and could certainly provide for confusion when an Auto Train passenger decides to take another train and is surprised when they're asked to pay for their meals in the Diner.

But, it's pretty obvious that Amtrak isn't concerned with a class of service providing for consistent services across the network, so this change will likely never be made. It'd be nice if they did strive for a little bit of consistency, it would certainly help set customer expectations appropriately. (and "Comfort Class" would be a great name for the Auto Train coach service).
Precisely.

Precisely.
Actually at no point during the booking process does it even mention meals; so anyone not reading elsewhere on Amtrak's site wouldn't even know that they are getting meals and would no doubt be quite surprised upon checkin when asked for their dinner time.

Precisely.
Actually at no point during the booking process does it even mention meals; so anyone not reading elsewhere on Amtrak's site wouldn't even know that they are getting meals and would no doubt be quite surprised upon checkin when asked for their dinner time.
Reminds me of the elderly Jewish couple who were checking in ahead of us. She had made a huge picnic lunch for the two of them. She coulda fed a zoo she had so much food. You should have seen her face when she was informed meals were included. I don't know any Yiddish but I'm sure some of what her husband was told is unprintable. :lol:

From the Lorton Auto Train station to the Sanford Auto Train station is 815 miles (based on Google Maps). My 2005 Ford 500 averages 24mpg highway, so that's approximately 40 gallons. At the national average of $3.83, that's approximately $153 to drive down there, not including wear on the car itself. Amtrak charges $157 to transport that same car. I think I'll pay the $4.00.
You should do better than that. The IRS allows around $.50/mile for business travel. Even if that is twice as much as the actual cost/mile, that would make the trip cost over $200. And then you aren't even considering the labor, which depending on the person could range from zero to you couldn't pay me to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back