Which trains going east of Chicago have sightseer lounges?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming that the platforms in Albany,Syracuse,Schenectady, Rochester and yes even Boston were low level would it be possible to run a Superliner equipped train all the way though to Boston? In other words are the platforms the only major physical impediment. Are there any physical clearance problems on the Albany to Boston portion or in the Boston area? I know that years ago (the 1970s) there might have been some height clearance problems along the route however I understand that the railroads had by and large cleared them up just to make room for the taller automobile and vehicle transport cars,so that they had an additional financial motivation beyond that of being able to handle "dome" cars and Superliners.

I remember that the most notorious rallroad when it came to not allowing dome cars on it's property was the "Bad" Old Southern Pacific which would only allow it's own home built domes and some ex Chessie 3/4's size domes on its routes. By the time the Superliners came around in the late 70's and early 80's that was no longer a problem however. There may have been a similar problem on the Old Boston and Albany branch of the New York Central but if that was ever a problem it was virtually non existent as domes weren't run on the New York Central to begin with.

I am not certain, but Amtrak may have at some time in the past displayed some Superliner's at Boston, perhaps for one of those "Family Day's" open houses...
Does anyone recall?

Speaking of Sightseer Lounges and Superliner's I have question. Can Boston South Station Accommodate a Superliner or a Sightseer Lounge as it is not in a tunnel (like in New York CIty)?

If Boston could accommodate Superliners then it would be a good idea to consider running a separate train from Chicago to Boston with Superliners.

Up until the fall of 1967 the Old New York Central Railroad had run a Chicago Boston Train called the "New England States". If the route to Boston could accommodate Superliners than it would make sense to run a Superliner Train all the way through to Boston.
No. South Station is all High Level platforms. Superliners aren't meant for high levels. Only low. ;)

Speaking of Sightseer Lounges and Superliner's I have question. Can Boston South Station Accommodate a Superliner or a Sightseer Lounge as it is not in a tunnel (like in New York CIty)?

If Boston could accommodate Superliners then it would be a good idea to consider running a separate train from Chicago to Boston with Superliners.

Up until the fall of 1967 the Old New York Central Railroad had run a Chicago Boston Train called the "New England States". If the route to Boston could accommodate Superliners than it would make sense to run a Superliner Train all the way through to Boston.
No. South Station is all High Level platforms. Superliners aren't meant for high levels. Only low. ;)
All they would have to do is have one low level platform and the problem would be solved. I know that in a bureacracy it is not probable but is possible.

This helps, thanks! What about the Capitol Limited westbound? Are there any scenic parts during daylight hours? It looks like the last daylight stop if it's on time is Cumberland, MD?
Sadly, that is right about the Capitol Limited going west. The last daytime westbound stop is Cumberland, and you will hit darkness not long after that. If you look at the CL timetable, you'll see it's better to ride that going east vs. west, since you'll have MORE time for the daylight part. Including sunrise by Pittsburgh, or not long after that. Pittsburgh and Cumberland btw are extended stops for the CL, where you're allowed to smoke or stretch your legs briefly.
If you're going west from DC, consider riding the Cardinal. Sadly (boo its schedule!) it only runs 3 days a week going westbound from NYC to DC (Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays), but on that train at this time of year(IF on time), you're in daylight till Charleston, WV. However Cardinal is a similar train to Capitol Limited, since you see more of the scenic parts in daylight going east. Note from Chicago btw, that it departs on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. You'll start to see the scenic part, the next morning around eastern KY or western WV (Huntington), depending on whenever you wake up. And you may be woken up going eastbound, (as it's just after 7am), as Huntington will more than likely be the first announced stop on the PA going east. Since Amtrak only doesn't do PA upcoming station announcements from 10pm-7am.
Thanks, that helps a lot. And bummer, I was looking forward to hanging out in the dome car. It sounds like The Cardinal is the one I'll have to choose.
The Cardinal does not have a sightseer lounge. The only train east of Chicago that consistently does is the Capitol Limited.

All they would have to do is have one low level platform and the problem would be solved. I know that in a bureacracy it is not probable but is possible.
Bureaucracy is not the reason they're not going to spend millions to build a new track and new platform (because existing tracks are already using high-level platforms) to accommodate a single Superliner train when no other train within several hundred miles could possibly use it.

Building a new platform to facilitate non level boarding on a route where level boarding to the whole car is already in place is not likely to happen. I am not 100% sure, but reasonably certain that would not be allowed under current ADA standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original Capitol Limited (and its coach counterpart, The Columbian) had dome cars from 1950 until Amtrak takeover with floodlights shining to the right side of the train after dark. Made for very interesting viewing, as well as seeing steel mills between McKeesport and Pittsburgh up close and personal after dark.

I have numerous fond memories of riding in "High Dome" and "Sky Dome" on the Columbian between Washington D.C. and Chicago in the 1950's and 60's.

Back in the mid 90's, Superliner were on display for the dedication of the recently moved and refurbished KIN station. I assume they came thru Boston. But this was also prior to the catenary was extended to Boston. That could also be a hindering factor, besides the high level platforms.

The original Capitol Limited (and its coach counterpart, The Columbian) had dome cars from 1950 until Amtrak takeover with floodlights shining to the right side of the train after dark. Made for very interesting viewing, as well as seeing steel mills between McKeesport and Pittsburgh up close and personal after dark.

I have numerous fond memories of riding in "High Dome" and "Sky Dome" on the Columbian between Washington D.C. and Chicago in the 1950's and 60's.
Must have been very different on the trains then. How was the food before the Amtrak takeover?

Must have been very different on the trains then. How was the food before the Amtrak takeover?
In short.....better. ;)

Depends on the railroad and the train. Dining on the Santa Fe Super Chief, superb right to the end, eating canned stew bought from a vending machine in an SP "automat" car on the Coast Daylight or the Sunset, not so much.

Can't speak to the eastern roads, but my understanding that the Pennsy/Penn Central was pretty dismal. In the west Santa Fe, great, UP great, SP pretty awful outside the diners they maintained on the Cascade and the City of San Francisco. They pulled the diner on the Sunset entirely, leaving the automat as the only food service between Los Angeles and New Orleans. No sleepers either. The food and amenities on ANY of today's Amtrak long distance trains are better than the SP's 1967-70 edition of the Sunset.

Assuming that the platforms in Albany,Syracuse,Schenectady, Rochester and yes even Boston were low level would it be possible to run a Superliner equipped train all the way though to Boston? In other words are the platforms the only major physical impediment. Are there any physical clearance problems on the Albany to Boston portion or in the Boston area?

The catenary is a major issue and it probably isn't easily raised due to bridges and other stuctures.

Assuming that the platforms in Albany,Syracuse,Schenectady, Rochester and yes even Boston were low level would it be possible to run a Superliner equipped train all the way though to Boston? In other words are the platforms the only major physical impediment. Are there any physical clearance problems on the Albany to Boston portion or in the Boston area?
The catenary is a major issue and it probably isn't easily raised due to bridges and other stuctures.
Is it?

Sounds like we need to bring in an expert to be absolutely sure...

Guess what? After all your advice, I had it down to going to D.C. for a couple of days on the Cardinal, then coming back on the Capitol Limited. But.... even though I love traveling alone on Amtrak, this time I was going with a travel companion who bowed out. I just wasn't that excited about this trip anyways, so I decided to cancel. Without a sightseer dome it doesn't sound like much fun. Socializing is the best part of the trip for me. I saved some money, always nice, and a staycation will be fun.

Guess what? After all your advice, I had it down to going to D.C. for a couple of days on the Cardinal, then coming back on the Capitol Limited. But.... even though I love traveling alone on Amtrak, this time I was going with a travel companion who bowed out. I just wasn't that excited about this trip anyways, so I decided to cancel. Without a sightseer dome it doesn't sound like much fun. Socializing is the best part of the trip for me. I saved some money, always nice, and a staycation will be fun.
At the risk of being pedantic the sightseer lounge isn't technically a dome car. If you're interested in a real dome car you should look at booking a ride on The Canadian. It's not cheap and I think you have to book a sleeper compartment to access the dome cars these days, but it's honestly pretty cool if you're looking for a fancier bucket list item. To the best of my knowledge there is only one dome car in the entire Amtrak system it's not possible to know where it will be (or if it will be open to passengers) when you're booking.

I agree with most of what you said, except that for the Down Easter and the Adirondack, Amtrak lists the trains or days the dome is scheduled to run.
There are leaf peeper excursions that are scheduled relatively close to departure. However, if your focus is riding the dome over peeping some leaves 99% of the time you have no way of knowing where the dome will be or if it will be open to passengers. You can ask here on AU and maybe someone will tell you, but Amtrak doesn't seem to bother publishing this information in any sort of actionable manner. Which seems to kind of defeat the purpose of having a dome in the first place. Maybe they figure if they published this information people would be disappointed when the one and only dome was bad ordered and unable to make it. Perhaps they'd need two or three domes to make such a schedule dependable enough to be worthwhile.

Ride the Downeaster* between August 19 and September 24, 2017

* The Great Dome Car is available on the following Downeaster trains*:

Monday-Friday Weekday Train #682, #683, #688, #689

Saturday Trains #692, #693, #696, #697

Sunday Trains #690, #691, #698, #699

They put the announcement on the Downeaster site, not the general site...They made the information public, why on only on the D/E page I can't even begin to guess.

Ah, I was not aware of that. I haven't looked at the DE site in ages so it makes sense I'd miss it. Presumably this is a commercial lease to Maine (or whoever) and so Amtrak doesn't advertise it. Although it would probably benefit both parties to do so. I guess coordinating the specifics of trains and dates is just too much hassle. You'd think this is the sort of minor problem that technology should be able to solve.

At the risk of being pedantic the sightseer lounge isn't technically a dome car. If you're interested in a real dome car you should look at booking a ride on The Canadian. It's not cheap and I think you have to book a sleeper compartment to access the dome cars these days, but it's honestly pretty cool if you're looking for a fancier bucket list item. To the best of my knowledge there is only one dome car in the entire Amtrak system it's not possible to know where it will be (or if it will be open to passengers) when you're booking.
So far my bucket list rides in this continent are on VIA Rail.

Thank you DA! It is one of my real pet peeves when people refer to the SSL as a dome car (it's not, no 360 view) or an observation car (those are on the end of the train).

The Canadian, though, has both!

Coach passengers on the Canadian have their own Skyline dome car in the summer high season. During the off season, they share the forward Skyline with whatever sleeper passengers want to use it.

The end of train Park dome-observation is restricted to Prestige class (notch above regular sleeper) during certain hours in the high season, although the regular sleeper (Sleeper Plus) passengers have unrestricted access to the two other Skyline domes that are in the peak-season consist for sleeper passengers. During the off-season all sleeper passengers in both classes have unrestricted access to the Park, although they reserve the forward seats in the dome for Prestige.

As to the Ocean View, when it is in service on regular Amtrak trains, it is treated as non-revenue lounge space, similar to seating in the SSL. First come, first serve and your coach seat is elsewhere. When it is in a charter (like the Leavenworth Snow Train around here in Washington), the operators often sell the seats in the dome as a separate class of service.

Back