Where's Julie?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
I have never found Julie being any better than giving me very basic information.
That’s the point. If you need something more complex, she’ll route you to a customer service representative.

It prevents the CSRs from getting bogged down with phone calls for “very basic information”.
My issue is in not being able to get through to an actual CSR when needed. Particularly Julie, who should inquire if a booking is for coach or sleeper and if the latter, immediately put in the queue for a CSR (since that almost always requires agent intervention). Ditto for modifying an existing reservation; I've not had an occurrence where a voice response system could successfully change a reservation. It's telling that there is now a service to navigate customer service departments and provide suggestions for reaching an actual person [www.gethuman.com].

My latest pet peeve is the immediate answer messages which say "Did you know you can visit amtrak.com and make reservations, get fares, check train status, make hotel and car reservations, order pizza, request grocery delivery, arrange for pet boarding, and much more?" (Okay, so not quite that long, but it seems like it most of the time.) Yes, I know what I can do through the Internet site; it's because I can't do what I want that I need to call. Some companies make callers listen to that message before the regular voice response menu starts and one is put in the CSR holding queue.
default_mad.gif

I have never found Julie being any better than giving me very basic information.
That’s the point. If you need something more complex, she’ll route you to a customer service representative.
It prevents the CSRs from getting bogged down with phone calls for “very basic information”.
My issue is in not being able to get through to an actual CSR when needed. Particularly Julie, who should inquire if a booking is for coach or sleeper and if the latter, immediately put in the queue for a CSR (since that almost always requires agent intervention). Ditto for modifying an existing reservation; I've not had an occurrence where a voice response system could successfully change a reservation. It's telling that there is now a service to navigate customer service departments and provide suggestions for reaching an actual person [www.gethuman.com].

My latest pet peeve is the immediate answer messages which say "Did you know you can visit amtrak.com and make reservations, get fares, check train status, make hotel and car reservations, order pizza, request grocery delivery, arrange for pet boarding, and much more?" (Okay, so not quite that long, but it seems like it most of the time.) Yes, I know what I can do through the Internet site; it's because I can't do what I want that I need to call. Some companies make callers listen to that message before the regular voice response menu starts and one is put in the CSR holding queue.
default_mad.gif
I just keep hitting 0 till I’m put into a queue for a CSR.

default_mad.gif
What gets me is when the business tells me hours of operation when I call during the hours of operation. "We're open from 9 to 5..." and it's 11. If you're open, pick up the phone!

And when different departments have the "on hold" music volume set 30 decibels apart.

I don't recall if I've had either of these when calling Amtrak.

One other thing about Julie that always infuriated me is that if you’re calling to change your reservation, you’ll have to spend multiple minutes explaining to her your reservation number and what you want to do, only to have to reiterate all of that to the agent you’re transferred to. It’s fine if you want to know my res number and what I want to do with it, but don’t make me tell of that again to the actual agent who’s doing this stuff.

Always say “representative”. You may have to a couple of times, but eventually the system figures you actually need to talk to a human.

default_mad.gif
They're doing their best, to get you to hang up, and do it yourself....the danger of that is that some people will get so frustrated, they will just give up, and seek another type of transportation...

default_mad.gif
That doesn't always work on all companies...some may come back and say that that is not an option, or something to that effect...

default_mad.gif
That doesn't always work on all companies...some may come back and say that that is not an option, or something to that effect...
Some companies use "9" instead; and very rarely, but I've seen/heard it, # to get an operator.

peter

The reason for “you can access this info online” is because some people truly don’t know they can do certain things online. Then they get mad when they wait for 10 minutes, only to find out they could have used the website (sometimes I have to guide them to the tab/link they couldn’t find, which I’m happy to do).

It’s not that we don’t want to talk to you; we don’t want you to sit on hold any more than you do, so that’s why some companies have the courtesy message that lists everything you can do online.

I know people love to paint all CSRs as evil and/or stupid, but most of us actually care.

The reason for “you can access this info online” is because some people truly don’t know they can do certain things online. Then they get mad when they wait for 10 minutes, only to find out they could have used the website (sometimes I have to guide them to the tab/link they couldn’t find, which I’m happy to do).

It’s not that we don’t want to talk to you; we don’t want you to sit on hold any more than you do, so that’s why some companies have the courtesy message that lists everything you can do online.

I know people love to paint all CSRs as evil and/or stupid, but most of us actually care.
I get your point, as a customer service professional; and while I realize there are people out there who literally can't walk and chew gum at the same time and thus need to be told what is possible, I would think that is the minority of customers today. I've been using a computer for 35 years, and doing things online for 22 years, so I'm well aware and perfectly comfortable doing stuff online (and would prefer it). But, as discussed, there are things that can't be done online and thus require a person with a higher level of access. Also, there are a number of people (particularly of a certain age, as they used to say) who just don't like or are not comfortable with computers and really would like to talk to someone as helpful and caring as a Sarah Z. By suggesting (via recording) that they might just be morons or Luddites by wanting to speak to someone via telephone strikes me as just a wee bit insulting. (And in the case of Amtrak, what message are they sending to their Amish customers by suggesting that they get with the program and go online?)

Incidentally, I've known numerous people who've done customer service work and worked in call centers; I would say from their experience and mine (observing people while having waited in many lines over the years) that there are far more evil and/or stupid customers than CSRs. Perhaps there should be a qualifying test for voice response systems, such as "If you've ever called 9-1-1 to ask what the time or weather is, press '1'. If you think you can't be overdrawn because you still have checks left, press '2'" and so forth. At least that would help separate the truly ignorant from those who are just trying to accomplish something they may not be able to do otherwise.

Am I the only one reading this thread who immediately thinks of this song by Fountains of Wayne?

Hey Julie

There's even a line in there about spending "hours on the phone making pointless calls."

I get your point, as a customer service professional; and while I realize there are people out there who literally can't walk and chew gum at the same time and thus need to be told what is possible, I would think that is the minority of customers today. I've been using a computer for 35 years, and doing things online for 22 years, so I'm well aware and perfectly comfortable doing stuff online (and would prefer it). But, as discussed, there are things that can't be done online and thus require a person with a higher level of access. Also, there are a number of people (particularly of a certain age, as they used to say) who just don't like or are not comfortable with computers and really would like to talk to someone as helpful and caring as a Sarah Z. By suggesting (via recording) that they might just be morons or Luddites by wanting to speak to someone via telephone strikes me as just a wee bit insulting. (And in the case of Amtrak, what message are they sending to their Amish customers by suggesting that they get with the program and go online?)

Incidentally, I've known numerous people who've done customer service work and worked in call centers; I would say from their experience and mine (observing people while having waited in many lines over the years) that there are far more evil and/or stupid customers than CSRs. Perhaps there should be a qualifying test for voice response systems, such as "If you've ever called 9-1-1 to ask what the time or weather is, press '1'. If you think you can't be overdrawn because you still have checks left, press '2'" and so forth. At least that would help separate the truly ignorant from those who are just trying to accomplish something they may not be able to do otherwise.
But wouldn’t that screening take longer than the current recording?
default_mosking.gif

By suggesting (via recording) that they might just be morons or Luddites by wanting to speak to someone via telephone strikes me as just a wee bit insulting. (And in the case of Amtrak, what message are they sending to their Amish customers by suggesting that they get with the program and go online?)
I think you're reading way too much into this. They're just mentioning while you're waiting what you can do on the site. It seems kind of extreme to say that they're implying the person is a moron. It doesn't say "You know, instead of bothering a customer service rep, do everyone a favor and get your task done yourself on amtrak.com." And I don't see any reason why this could offend Amish customers. We would anyone actually take offense because an automated recording mentions a website while you're waiting? I'm a vegetarian, but that doesn't mean I get offended when I see someone say that turkey is low in fat.

I wish I could use the website when I book 2 rooms on the A/T: AGR Points going one way, cash the other, someone else's Points for the car both ways, oh, and I need 2 adjoining rooms...and I like B & C in the 40 car...the AGR Agent takes it all in stride and it always works out.

That’s the point. If you need something more complex, she’ll route you to a customer service representative. It prevents the CSRs from getting bogged down with phone calls for “very basic information”.
&

The reason for “you can access this info online” is because some people truly don’t know they can do certain things online. Then they get mad when they wait for 10 minutes, only to find out they could have used the website (sometimes I have to guide them to the tab/link they couldn’t find, which I’m happy to do). It’s not that we don’t want to talk to you; we don’t want you to sit on hold any more than you do, so that’s why some companies have the courtesy message that lists everything you can do online. I know people love to paint all CSRs as evil and/or stupid, but most of us actually care.
The reason I'm calling is because I need to resolve something too complex for the website. Otherwise I wouldn't be wasting my time sitting on hold or trying to communicate with a digital nitwit running interference disguised as useless advice. I'm sure a list of what a basic business website can accomplish was extremely helpful back in 1998, but here in 2018 it's borderline insulting. Those people who still don't understand how the internet works are not going to start using a new app or website just because some automated message told them to. For me the best answering systems are those that give you an aggregated time estimate based on the number of calls ahead of you with the option to enter a number of your choosing for a callback.

The reason some people are calling is to resolve something too complex for the website. Plenty of people call because they are the type to call and not check out the website first. Anything that helps a call center lower traffic while still providing the customer what they need is a plus. reminding people of what is available harms no one. It just fills time you would probably be in queue anyway.

Would you prefer to hear either Musik or silence while your on a long hold, or hear a reminder that 5-10 people also in line but are ahead of you hear and did not realize they could do that online or with Julie and end up getting out of line?
default_huh.png

That would also mean the agent can get to you sooner!
default_smile.png

I will say one complaint about the reminder: it is really frustrating to be on hold for many minutes and repeatedly get what at first sounds like a real representative, only to realize after a few seconds that it's a recording reminding you about the website. I feel like it make sense to at minimum play that recording/reminder one time, and then just play some **** music for the rest of your wait. I don't think anyone needs to be reminded 10 times that they can use the site.

The reason some people are calling is to resolve something too complex for the website. Plenty of people call because they are the type to call and not check out the website first. Anything that helps a call center lower traffic while still providing the customer what they need is a plus. reminding people of what is available harms no one. It just fills time you would probably be in queue anyway.
How many people do you presume are calling because they're too ignorant to consider looking up a company website and yet are technically savvy enough to begin using it after an automated voice tells them about it?

Would you prefer to hear either Musik or silence while your on a long hold, or hear a reminder that 5-10 people also in line but are ahead of you hear and did not realize they could do that online or with Julie and end up getting out of line?
default_huh.png

That would also mean the agent can get to you sooner!
default_smile.png
If the Muzak is the GOOD stuff (you know, '60's and '70's music ) I can wait a long time!!!

I wouldn't call them ignorant. Calling is first choice for lots of people. Just because someone is capable of doing something doesn't mean they will avail themselves of that option. No reason not to remind them. It hurts no one.

I wouldn't call them ignorant. Calling is first choice for lots of people. Just because someone is capable of doing something doesn't mean they will avail themselves of that option. No reason not to remind them. It hurts no one.
The people who still call first probably aren't going to hang up and use the website after hearing an automated voice remind them. No reason to keep nagging them about the website if they're just going to keep calling anyway. It's annoying to be forced to wait through useless messages for the "recently updated" menu selection from six years ago to finally become active and then hearing what sounds like someone joining the call only to end up with yet another prerecorded message begging me to find help somewhere else. Invariably this leads me to lower the volume and eventually miss the real agent when they finally arrive.

Back