When is the best time to make a train reservation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
14 does not have a hall window. Neither the family room nor the handicap room have windows in the doors.

Posting from downstairs on 11(5) car #1130.
default_wink.png
Strange. I was in room #13 on the SWC in October, and #14 most definitely had a window. I remember keeping my curtain shut so the bothersome woman across from me couldn't see into my room while in hers.

Maybe it's a Superliner I vs II issue?

14 does not have a hall window. Neither the family room nor the handicap room have windows in the doors.

default_wink.png
Strange. I was in room #13 on the SWC in October, and #14 most definitely had a window. I remember keeping my curtain shut so the bothersome woman across from me couldn't see into my room while in hers.

Perhaps. My roomette does not have the closet - which version is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

default_wink.png

Perhaps. My roomette does not have the closet - which version is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Superliner II: Electric Boogaloo

I was in a Superliner I.

I might have those backwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for pillows every roomette has two - one for each bed. Normally if you board at the origination station, the pillows(2) are already out and one on each seat. If not, just ask the attendant for the second pillow from the upper bunk where the mattress and sheets, etc. for lower bunk are stored during daytime configuration. As for bottle water, I have never had a problem getting replenishment from the attendant. I usually drink two bottles a day and the attendants have gladly furnished enough for my needs. The problem for some trips is that one or more passengers will usually hoard several bottles if the attendant leaves extra bottles of water near the coffee pot area.

On my more recent trips the SCA kept the water in their room, maybe having one or two bottles out at a time. Me, I always carry a bottle or two with me just in case, whether it is the train, hotel, or between. Usually, both pillows are out in every room where the train originate. It is easy to pull the latch handle to lower the upper bed to retrieve the second pillow if not out.

I didn't think of the window into the hallway! That's probably what was referred to. I think I can live just fine with not having that.
All of the roomettes have a window that looks into the hallway. I'm not sure what bratkinson is talking about when they say #14 doesn't have a window.
Please see the floor plan in this link: http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html Scroll down to the Superliner sleeper plan. Roomette 13 has the 'closet' (or open area with a substantial oval-shape hook) on hallway wall closer to the family room. The 'steps' to the upper bunk are on the 'far side' of the door. Roomette 14 has a blanked out area where its 'steps' are as one could look into the family room if there was a window there. Although, if I recall correctly, there IS a curtain over the blank space...whether there was one intended or if it was by accident, I don't know.

I've looked at the diagrams many times. I've also been on many Superliners.

The door has a window, so you can see into the hallway. It's not windowless on the hallway side. It just doesn't have that little side window (that most people leave covered throughout the trip anyway).

Your original post made it sound like there weren't ANY windows on the hallway side of #14.

The YouTubes are enlightening. I had looked at some of them previously but didn't pay too much attention because I was ticketed for coach... until I got VERY lucky: I was checking schedules and pricing at the 1-week from departure mark when I discovered that there were no longer coach seats being offered. I called and was told the train was sold out except for a few sleeper rooms....AND the roomettes were now $100 lower than than before - the rep on the phone did say it was their lowest fare! I was able to have my SAVER fare applied to the roomette and pay the difference for the upgrade, very happy because I wasn't sure they would do that! Then, when I looked back at the website, refreshed it, I saw my newly relinquished coach seat available, BUT the roomettes were now almost $200 more than I had just paid 5 minutes before! They are still set at that rate today, 3 days out, a price about $100 more than when I originally booked the coach seat. Interesting to note that the Family Bedroom is now priced lower than the roomette, so my guess it will be occupied by the time of departure.

I don't understand the pricing system, but I am very grateful that I was able to snag a better price at 1-week out, perhaps what is called here a "low bucket" price? I don' t know how to tell what "bucket level" the pricing is at, maybe by experience. I wondered if the good price I got was because the roomette was on the lower level; I was not savvy enough to ask the rep on the phone which car, which roomette number at the time I made the upgrade, but I'm certain I will be happier travelling in #13 than in a sold-out coach.

Again, many thanks for your help and quick replies on this forum. m--
"AND the roomettes were now $100 lower than than before - the rep on the phone did say it was their lowest fare"

That would by definition make it the low bucket fare.

"BUT the roomettes were now almost $200 more than I had just paid 5 minutes before"

Prices for a given accommodation can shoot up or down from a slight change in inventory. A sudden $200 change is actually pretty common.

"Interesting to note that the Family Bedroom is now priced lower than the roomette"

This would be explained by the remaining Family Bedroom availability exceeding the remaining roomette availability. If a roomette is at the highest bucket, and the Family room might be at its lowest bucket, the roomette might be more expensive. In other words, pricing of a roomette has no connection to the price of a different kind of room.

"I don't understand the pricing system"

Ultimately, sleeper pricing is just based on remaining availability of a given accommodation (be it a sleeper or coach), and is sometimes affected by how close to departure it is. When it gets very close to departure, prices might drop for roomettes to make sure they sell.

"I wondered if the good price I got was because the roomette was on the lower level...but I'm certain I will be happier travelling in #13 than in a sold-out coach"

The price is not directly connected to which specific room you have. And honestly lower level rooms are totally underrated. Yes, you have to go to up the stairs every time you go between cars, but you'll be very close to the bathrooms and showers, which is nice. Believe me, coach is nowhere even remotely close to the comfort of ANY roomette.

Hope any of this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
To OBS Chief:

Yes, your explanations help a lot! And seeing the pricing displayed on the Amsnag site also helped me see how it varies with timing. And your explanations helped me see how pricing is tied to inventory.

Just checking the remaining prices this morning for tomorrow's train I see that all the sleeper options are at their highest price level. So maybe one of the Family Rooms is now occupied, and the other is available but at more than twice the price is was just a day or so ago. <sigh> crazy. Thanks for your patient help. m--

Update after my trip - My observations are posted her as follow-ups to my questions above.

Roomette #13 on the SWC Superliner was a very comfortable location for me! I was very glad to be on the lower level: no traffic; close to facilities; also just steps from the vestibule to see out windows on both sides.

#13 has a window into the hall but it stayed covered with the curtain.

Two pillows and two water bottles were set out for me upon boarding in Albuquerque; SCA was Stephen who took better than adequate care of me, well worth a gratuity.

The Dining Car manager, Merrell, came around to take reservations for dining times for lunch and dinner, so I made sure I stayed in my room after he announced he was making his rounds and was not elsewhere until after I received my reservation. I was happy to give him a tip because I felt I had very good and exceptionally pleasant service from him as well as from Gina the meal server. Meal tips I left on the table, as did other diners.

I did spend some time in the sightseeing car but I was more comfortable in the roomette.

The Handicapped roomette was not occupied in my car so I had a chance to look at it; I think it would be very comfortable for two, if available. Not sure how they are priced or allocated.

I think the Family room would also be better than the roomette for two people, nice to have windows on both sides. I did not get to see a Bedroom.

For just myself the roomette was perfect.

I used the shower and found it worked fine for undressing, showering and drying off, redressing. There was a stack of bath size towels in the luggage rack near the shower so I just took what I needed from there; two small towels and wash cloths were in my roomette closest upper shelf. There was a bucket of individual soaps, no hair care products, very minimalistic in my opinion.

I was able to keep my small suitcase in the roomette with me, placed on side-edge on the shelf/step.

My closet had two hangers which I used for my jacket and vest. My tote bag stayed on the seat opposite me or at the toe end of the bed (I'm short).

The bed was reasonably comfortable for sleeping.

Ventilation in the room was not great; there was a sign that suggested that one use the vent handle for AC; use the thermostat for heat. Well the AC did not seem to be on so opening the louvers did nearly nothing. The room got rather stuffy and warm in the afternoon sun. At the time Stephen turned down my bed I asked him about the temperature overnight and he made an adjustment in a cabinet near the vestibule, presumably for the whole car.

Overall I had an excellent experience and I hope to be able to do it again! Thank you all for your help and sharing your experiences. m--

Thanks for posting about your trip. Sounds like a great one with a good OBS team on board. Having a good teams makes all the difference in the world on how your trip goes. I am planning my next trip, can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back