What's this car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don't think Heritage Lounges had doors and now that I look closely at it I think that is the Adirondack logo on the front end of the car. So it could be the Adirondack Lounge, but again I'm still unsure.

Hmm....you're right. I didn't notice those things. Is it possibly a diner? And do you know if it was revenue or not? Maybe it was deadhead equipment?

That's seems to be a dead-head. During the Heritage rebuild program Amtrak did convert some ex-Diners into Lounges for eastern trains. Many modifications were made and this could be one of those cars. Still if anyone has some info.

sorry about the 2nd post. hit the add reply button insted of preview post:p

just wanted to add about the heritage lounge cars vestibules that some had them and some didnt.

hello

it looks to be the hallway side of a dining car. the first six windows are the dinning room. the first and last of these windows seem to be retrofitted with amfleet emergency windows. the last four windows are in the hall next to the kitchen. the square of stainless closes to you may be a half height door for stocking the kitchen. this was less common but done. Also the large square of stainless in the middle would suggest that this car was one of the few cars that recieved the Burlington Northern symbol before going to Amtrak. but with out the number I can't be sure.

john

I noticed that door too. Amfleet II Lounges have them under that snack bar. I would think that is to small too stock a diner. Also wouldn't a diner have the vents on the roof?

I'm as confused as everybody else. I tend toward chefrhodes answer that it is the hallway side of the diner....but then I wander if the windows on the hallway side of the diner are that high? The heck of it is I was just on a heritage diner and took shots of it, but I shot the other side, so can't tell from that. Maybe it is a lounge, after all.

It probably is deadheading, whatever it is, just because trains today usually do not have either a diner or a lounge at the end.Of course deadhead cars are usually ahead of the baggage car, also.But of course this car may have not been going the full distance of the train's run.

Bill Haithcoat said:
It probably is deadheading, whatever it is, just because trains today usually do not have either a diner or a lounge at the end.Of course deadhead cars are usually ahead of the baggage car, also.But of course this car may have not been going the full distance of the train's run.
I actually have to disagree that deadheads are usually at the front...

Example, when we (chicago) get cars from Beech Grove, they usually come in on the rear of the K-Card. Now maybe you're right, that it is because it isn't going the full distance, however, I know that they're almost always at the end in this case. This works well for us too, because there were two times this summer that I was working ready crew, and I had readied my other trains and was ready to go home, but had to ready this car coming from BG. This was going to be a big deal too, because when we get equipment from BG, it is always stripped. And the worst part was it was for 5 I think, so we had to finish it in time for 5 to depart....hehe..not an easy task when we got to start on it at noon.

You might be right tuballen, about trains today, deadhead usually at the rear. You have to "overlook" me sometimes, I am sort of a dinosaur....my perspective goes way back and in my memories(from whenever)they are usually at the front of the baggage car.

Bill Haithcoat said:
You might be right tuballen, about trains today, deadhead usually at the rear. You have to "overlook" me sometimes, I am sort of a dinosaur....my perspective goes way back and in my memories(from whenever)they are usually at the front of the baggage car.
Hehe...Bill. That's funny.

By the way, I know I come off like I am the official on some of these topics, and that is bad...I shouldn't do that. I guess I just mean to say that it's not my experience. But I really don't know what happens down there in Atlanta, either. So I won't give you an "I told you so" hehe :) .

Jon...thanks so much for the compliments :) . I would say that I do probably know a few more things like this than the average "Joe" fan does, however, this is single-level equipment. Most of my training was on superliners, and most of my experience over the summer was on superliners as well. The only exception was on my one sleeper trip to Albany on 448 (when there was track work between Albany and Boston).

However, all that being said, I do have to say I do think it is the hallway side of a heritage diner. The windows do make it look like that to me, and also, we don't see that little door for stocking the kitchen. It should be on the other side. I do think you can expect a little more knowledge out of me, but not TOO much! Hehe. Maybe (fingers crossed) I'll "gain more experience this summer ;) ".

I want to add to what I said above. I think I said it incorrectly. I think there are things that railfans would know a heck of a lot better than I do. However, I think there are probably OTHER things that I do know more about, such as the way things work inside Amtrak, and such. So anyway, I apologize for when I have probably been too "cocky". There are certainly some things that you guys probably do know more than I do about, even if I seem to act like I am the official source.

All is well tuballen.---I appreciate your perspective---at all times---I still intend to be one of your passengers some day .when you are out of college. You never sound "cocky" at all,much less "too cocky",,,....

Now____back to my original thought. It may be that the reason I felt deadhead cars are usually ahead of the baggage car is very simply that they STANDOUT MORE at that location....that could be the whole reason for my viewpoint in a nutshell.

Also, keep in mind that I was a completely uninstructed railfan from the earliest ages---I had nobody, family or friends, to explain anything to me, so I sort of had to figure it out for myself.

When I would see a deadhead car ahead of the baggage car I would wander "Duuhhhhhhhh, how do people get through the baggage car to get back to the diner....duhhhh".

I was flipped out when I saw my first business car....I told myself...that train is not supposed to have an open platform observation car. What is going on here?

Then there was the time I saw my first "extra" train....it was a complete train passing through Chattanooga en route frm Atlanta to Chicago for the Democratic Convention in 1951 or 52. That really flipped me out.i.e. the 938p.m. had left on time---what is this thing here at 10 p.m.??????

I could obviously go on and on..I am very much a self-taught railfan, though of course at later years I finally found people I could talk to.

Hehe...very cool. Good stories! I hope that you and I both have the opportunity for you to ride with me sometime. I am worried with the recent crap going on though. We'll see. I don't even know if I will have a job over the summer. I certainly hope so, but we'll just have to see.

Part of my dilemma, for this summer for example is this: If I knew for a fact I couldn't have my attendant job back, I would seek out an internship this summer, or maybe even stay here in Bloomington-Normal and work at the airport (I am seeking a part time job there now). I wish I knew what to plan on! Either way...yea job, or no job!!!

VIASpike said:
Looks like a older dorm like I seen in Miami:D

How everyone doing great

RidesOften
Can't be a dorm sleeper because, one it dose not have a vestibule door and two the window layout is that of a diner. Wait, could it be a Buffet Diner used on the Silver Service and Auto Trains???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back