What's Going on with the Chief?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sechs

Engineer
The Southwest Chief has been late into Chicago every day that amtrakdelays.com shows. Most of the time it's more than thirty minutes late, and a number of times, more than two hours.

I backtracked the stations a good way, it seems like it's late pretty far along. Is there something happening?

How was its time at Albuquerque? I don't know if the NM Rail Runner has priority or not but since they own the track, hope they are not" pulling a UP". Jim

How was its time at Albuquerque? I don't know if the NM Rail Runner has priority or not but since they own the track, hope they are not" pulling a UP". Jim
Even if they did, we would be talking about a few minutes, at most possibly 15. There is more than that much padding in the schedule. There was some flooding problems fairly recently somewhere in Kansas, IIRC, so maybe so extensive slow orders?

George

I checked Albuquerque (which is padded), and it looks good. Time is lost right out of the gate at Lamy. Checked up through Trinidad, and it doesn't look much better.

Considering a midday departure from Albuquerque, I doubt that it's Rail Runner causing any problems. There's not a lot of other traffic on the line, so I don't imagine it's freight in the way.

This is got my curiosity. Anyone have an insight?

I was just looking today, and it appears that the train is losing time out of Kansas City.

I know that BNSF has a yard there. Are they doing some work there or getting a lot of traffic?

The railrunner has total priority.

It has cause many delays for amtrak.

There was a huge article in the news paper on how amtrak delayed the railrunner for several minutes and everyone was outrage so amtrak waits and waits.

It causes alot of grief for the passengers and the albuquerque amtrak staff.

Especially when amtrak might already be running behind.

It's true, but it is supposedly not too long because the distance between ABQ station and the south is only about 10 miles or less. However, the track between ABQ station and to the north is a problem because it is single track. SWC waiting at ABQ for northbound is a minor convenience because it's a service stop and also they like to look over the vendors' products so it keeps them occupy. Train that is going southbound to ABQ will have to wait a little longer inside the train. It is just my opinion.

Occassionally, there will be local BNSF freight that needs to be dropped off, so it may be one of several reasons for delay.

I checked Albuquerque (which is padded), and it looks good. Time is lost right out of the gate at Lamy. Checked up through Trinidad, and it doesn't look much better.
Considering a midday departure from Albuquerque, I doubt that it's Rail Runner causing any problems. There's not a lot of other traffic on the line, so I don't imagine it's freight in the way.

This is got my curiosity. Anyone have an insight?
I made some research with arrival times between ABQ and LMY (Lamy, NM) from Amtrakdelays website. It doesn't making a huge impact by RailRunner's priority at all. Maybe the crew were working on the track at the wrong time occassionally. Therefore, it's somewhere that is delaying the SWC's arrival time in CHI, either by weather, signal outages, track maintenace, congestions, or blocking the tracks (bad ordered car(s) or loco or debris), etc. The track between the Belen Junction to somewhere in Kansas is lightly traveled, so Amtrak is the king.

I drive a cab and I'm at the station several days a week.

For the most part the SW Chief runs on time or is early to schedule.

When the westbound 3 is on time there's no problem because the Railrunner doesn't run during the mid afternoon.

However if it gets delayed more then a few minutes north of Alb,it then encounters the Railrunner at bernallio.

It must then follow it in about 30 mins and wait for it to load and leave south bound for belen that could be up to 45 additional minutes.

So an already late train now becomes even later and the abq station usually has little information.

Very poor comunication between the 2 lines.

I was just looking today, and it appears that the train is losing time out of Kansas City.
I know that BNSF has a yard there. Are they doing some work there or getting a lot of traffic?
It appears that part of the problem between KCY and CHI is, in fact, freight. It seems that some of the bridges are spending more time open than they have in the past, and this is mucking up the freight and, in turn, the Chief.

Not the whole picture on this, but part of it.

I just went out onnumber 4 the 4th and it was over an hour early into ABQ..close to three hours late in Chicago. Number 3, on the way back, came into Albuquerque 40 minutes early..hurrrahhh

Well seems like Texas Eagle #21 seems like it runs 2-3 hrs late getting into SAS, Yesterday was 190 mins late putting them in at 1:45am

Is that maintence as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back