What time to get to the station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyflag4

Train Attendant
We are leaving NYC at 6:15am. What time should we be at the station? We are just taking carry-on and will be sitting in BC for a long distance trip to Charleston, SC. Thanks. Andy

There is no "Security" to go thru like at the airport, and since you said you only have carry-on baggage (no checked baggage), I also think 5:30-5:45 will be fine. All you have to worry about is to get your tickets (if you don't yet have them). You can get them at a QT machine (which may take less then 2 minutes) or go to a ticket agent (which may take longer, depending on the line), Boarding should be about 10 minutes before departure.

Boarding should be about 10 minutes before departure.
When I was sitting in NYP's Club Acela two weeks ago, they consistently starting boarding trains 20-25 minutes before the scheduled departure time, although my late LSL stayed in the station for a lesser amount of time.

When I was sitting in NYP's Club Acela two weeks ago, they consistently starting boarding trains 20-25 minutes before the scheduled departure time, although my late LSL stayed in the station for a lesser amount of time.
The Club Acela lounge typically makes the announcment 15 to 20 minutes before the departure time, so as to give people in the lounge time to get out and be at the head of the line. It's rare however that they put up the track number on the big board for the general public earlier than 10 minutes, 15 sometimes for LD trains, and then actually reverse the escalator to let one down to track level.

That's the difference!

They do not begin boarding 20-25 minutes before the scheduled departure time, but the desk agents in the CA ANNOUNCE the track number before it is listed on the board out in the main hall. Note that when in the CA they tell you "#___ will be boarding from track 14-East", when you get there, notice how many people are still looking at the board, waiting for the track # to post! Also note that the average station time at NYP is 15 minutes, so how could they board 25 minutes early?
huh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back