What is your hoped for trip in 2013

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning an Acela trip to Boston in January.

A trip on the LSL & TE in March.

Going to San Francisco on the LSL & CZ in April.

On the returh from San Francisco, we will visit a

cousin near Wolf Point, MT on the CS, EB & LSL.

Of course, the Gathering in October in Chicago, Dallas, New Orleans

or even Alpine, TX (for Jim Hudson)!!

Hope to make the Gathering.

And maybe do the overnight to Boston (to avoid hotel costs) for a day trip. Though I'd miss all the scenery on the train. I've never been to New England and with being told many times throughout my adult life that my accent sounds Bostonian/British I've always wanted head up there to see what I sound like. :)

In February I'm using up all my 2012 Guest Rewards points for a bedroom CHI-LAX and LAX-CHI, but I hope to amass enough points by mid-2013 to score a Chicago-NOL-Alexandria ride on the Crescent in the fall, or maybe Chicago-Alexandria on the Cardinal. Haven't yet ridden those trains.

Fly to Portland. Spend a few days. Train to Vancouver (2 nights as we've been there). Train to Banff. See things. ? across border to Glacier Park. See it. Train to Chicago. Fly home.
The Rocky Mountaineer is incredible but incredibly expensive. I have taken the Canadian to Jasper several times and rented a car there.

The scenery around Glacier NP (Montana USA) is just as nice as the Canadian Rockies. Since you were planning on taking the EB back to Chicago anyway just get off for 24 hours in Whitefish and rent a car there.
The question is - How to get to Glacier/Whitefish area from Banff/Jasper. Haven't solved that. I want to include a night (or 2?) at Prince of Wales hotel.

AmtrakVacations has a trip that starts in Vancouver (We could simply take train from Portland) that does what I want but goes back to Seattle from Glacier rather than go to Chicago. I asked about modifications but haven't gotten an answer.

Happy New Year to all. (And glad to see that several of you are coming up Boston way.) Wish trip? One I am fulfilling in late February when I take Amtrak to NY to catch the Crescent to New Orleans. And each year my wife and I enjoy taking the Autotrain to-and-from Florida. We are considering a cross-country trek to visit my sister in Portland, OR. I'll ask for help here for how best to arrange that one if it starts to become a reality.

The g/f and I are wanting to do the Coast Starlight this year, on agr points, as we have over 50k of them. I do not think I can get her to do more than two days on the train yet, she is still learning the joys, but she really wants to ride the CS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is a 'duh' question, but when and where is the AU gathering?
It hasn't been decided, yet, by the Gathering Committee. Should know something in the next few months. It will be in the center section of the country this year.

A friend of my is planning a group trip to Montreal as a tribute to a friend of ours who died last year. I hope it works out.

January: trip to Boston

April: cross country trip using AGR points taking LSL, TE, SL, CS, EB, LSL

May: maybe WAS or PHL for NTD

October: Gathering, wherever

Maybe more trips depending on a lot of things.

Fly to Portland. Spend a few days. Train to Vancouver (2 nights as we've been there). Train to Banff. See things. ? across border to Glacier Park. See it. Train to Chicago. Fly home.
The Rocky Mountaineer is incredible but incredibly expensive. I have taken the Canadian to Jasper several times and rented a car there.

The scenery around Glacier NP (Montana USA) is just as nice as the Canadian Rockies. Since you were planning on taking the EB back to Chicago anyway just get off for 24 hours in Whitefish and rent a car there.
The question is - How to get to Glacier/Whitefish area from Banff/Jasper. Haven't solved that. I want to include a night (or 2?) at Prince of Wales hotel.

AmtrakVacations has a trip that starts in Vancouver (We could simply take train from Portland) that does what I want but goes back to Seattle from Glacier rather than go to Chicago. I asked about modifications but haven't gotten an answer.

This might help you if you can afford it. http://www.airportshuttleexpress.com/

The first trip that i took by rail I arrived at Jasper westbound and came east on the EB to Whitefish from SEA.

Michigan to Disney World in June - unless the bank decides we need to acquire more banks and/or branches!!

Id like to do the Canadian, the Copper Canyon Trip in Mexico and ride Acela FC enough to gain the New Select Executive Staus! Wisful thinking for sure! :giggle: Of course if the Gathering is in CHI (my Vote) or DAL I'll be on my Old Usual, the Texas Eagles! (I cant get there without them! <_< )

Last edited by a moderator:
TE Temple to Los Angeles

CS Los Angeles to Emoryville

CZ Emoryville to Galesburg

Bus Galesburg to Springfield

TE springfield to Temple

No date yet but it's going to happen

Taking the Coast Starlight for the first time from LAX to SEA this first weekend of 2013.

Now what I'm really hoping for is that the CS has a Pacific Parlour car...

I really want to take the Southwest Chief and Empire Builder this year. That would be my dream trip!
I did that once... spent time near DUN ... so the CS was part of the trip too. An altogether fine trip. I hope you get to do it!

Already booked for July/August: Fly American Nashville to LAX

Coast Starlight Los Angeles to Portland

Cascades Portland to Seattle

Empire Builder Seattle to Chicago

Southwest Chief Chicago to Los Angeles

American Airlines LAX to Nashville

In a few days we am heading from QCY to SAN with changes in CHI, PDX, and LAX. Since we will be traveling with only bicycle paniers for luggage, my hope is we won't get stranded somewhere in ND. :(

Tom

What's the reason for spending time in Whitefish? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

In May we'll be flying to a family occasion in Ithaca NY, then coming back SYR - CHI CHI - PDX. It will be our first time in a viewliner roomette and as I get the top bunk I'm looking forward to the upper window.

I'm not sure when it will be but it'll be one of my 6-7 day western loop trips starting and ending in Cleveland. Hopefully, it'll involve the TE, SL, CS, and EB along with either the LSL and/or CL for between Cleveland and Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back