what if no PP car on CS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scott

My wife and I are looking forward to our second CS trip in mid-July--seattle to Sacramento (then changing to CZ). The last time, the PPC was out of service. I understand there are 4 or 5 at any one time. If we are so unfortunate as to not have one, :angry2: does Amtrak replace it with another car for the sleeper passengers? Still get the wine? :giggle:

In the event of no Pacific Parlour Car, Amtrak would likely use either a second SightSeer Lounge car, or a Cross Country Cafe (aka "Diner Lite") car as replacement; I've been on Starlights that had such substitutions. And yes, we still got our wine!

chances are very good on a given trip that you will have a ppc. if not, i much prefer the ccc over a ssl as a sub. with no ppc it has been my experience that dining usually offered in the ppc is partially or totally disrupted (meaning you would eat the dining car menu in the dining car). on a trip this spring we didn't have a ppc. i called amtrak, as it was an expected amenity, and we recieved a voucher toward future travel. have a great trip

Ah, it's not so bad as you may think. You still get whatever they can give you and they will probably compensate for anything they miss. The CZ or EB don't have a PPC either.

The first time I ever rode the CS, there was no PPC. A CCC was substituted for it instead. They still did the wine tasting and they still had a separate menu for it. In one way, I kind of liked it as most passengers chose not to use the sub PPC, and there was hardly anyone in it. All the better for taking pictures and videos going through the S curves southbound into San Luis Obispo! :p

My wife and I are looking forward to our second CS trip in mid-July--seattle to Sacramento (then changing to CZ). The last time, the PPC was out of service. I understand there are 4 or 5 at any one time. If we are so unfortunate as to not have one, :angry2: does Amtrak replace it with another car for the sleeper passengers? Still get the wine? :giggle:
Wine? If it's stocked and stored.

You'll be on 11. If 14 leaves LAX two days earlier with a PPC and something malfunctions, your train mightn't have a replacement car out of SEA. It is unlikely that 14 will leave LAX two days earlier without a PPC or substitute.

Having ridden once, and absolutely loved the PPC, on #14 from LAX to EMY (it was more than worth the $99 to upgrade to roomette, especially once you add in two meals), my only comment would be that I would rather have an SSL than a CCC. The windows on the SSL go much lower then the ones on the PPC and the CCC, so you do get slightly better views. On both the PPC and the SSL, you have the windows extending higher and into the roof, which makes for the views forward that much better. It is interesting how there are a fair number of people who come out to see the PPC once, come for meals, or come for the wine tasting, but there are times of day where it is quite empty and very peaceful where one can be very much alone and just watching the gorgeous scenery roll by. Not having ridden the PPC into the second day, I don't know if it is more crowded after people feel like a stretch after being on the train overnight. I will test that theory in June.

Donctor said:
1336605785[/url]' post='366458']
Swadian Hardcore said:
1336599547[/url]' post='366440']
WhoozOn1st said:
1336599228[/url]' post='366438']What he's actually saying in virtually all his posts.
Which "he" are you talking about? The OP has only posted once!
Oh boy.
I just spit coffee all over my iPad. Totally worth it!
mosking.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back