What do you do with your valuables?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthEncantoGirl

Train Attendant
Hey everyone!

Thanks to reading the forum, I know that the roomette doors don't lock from the outside, so it begs the question: what does one do with their valuables when you're off in the dining car or (in my case) the PPC? Do you just carry them with you wherever you go? Depending on what one carries, that can be quite a load. I'll have my purse with me, maybe a camera and that's about it for things I would consider theft-worthy. On the other hand, one never knows what others consider valuable--people might see my bag of trail mix and be unable to control themselves
laugh.gif

So the two questions I guess I'm asking are these: what do you lug around with you, and do I have to worry about theft in roomettes?

It's pathetic what my mind ruminates about...

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Lace

It's really hard to say if there will be theft in Roomettes, but it is very rare. You could try to hide some unwiedy but valuable things in your Roomette so that you don't have to lug them around.

If you leave things out in the open where people might see them, it could be tempting, however you could put them in the top bunk and cover them up with a blanket. Out of sight, out of mind, IMHO.

Theft is generally not a problem in sleepers. Although some feel safer taking valuable items with them, I think it's generally okay to leave things behind when heading for the diner or PPC, provided they're not sitting out in plain view as "advertising." I always take my camera along - just because - while the laptop gets stashed and left, and I don't think carrying a purse too would be excessive, long as it's not some gargantuan megabag.

Enjoy your trip, and do beware the trail mix fanatics.

It's really hard to say if there will be theft in Roomettes, but it is very rare. You could try to hide some unwiedy but valuable things in your Roomette so that you don't have to lug them around.
I planned on doing just that, and also got one of those travel purses that lie flat on the body. I should be fine. Thanks for the tip!

If you leave things out in the open where people might see them, it could be tempting, however you could put them in the top bunk and cover them up with a blanket. Out of sight, out of mind, IMHO.
Thanks for the tip, Pat. i was thinking along the same way in case I took my laptop along, but I think I will leave it home; one less thing to worry about.

Theft is generally not a problem in sleepers. Although some feel safer taking valuable items with them, I think it's generally okay to leave things behind when heading for the diner or PPC, provided they're not sitting out in plain view as "advertising." I always take my camera along - just because - while the laptop gets stashed and left, and I don't think carrying a purse too would be excessive, long as it's not some gargantuan megabag.

Enjoy your trip, and do beware the trail mix fanatics.
Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to hide the trail mix, it's the really good one from T. Joe's with the really big cashews. One never knows...
happy.gif

I would not leave your purse in the room at all. Or at least remove your wallet from it. Camera always comes in handy, so that's a must IMHO.

Everything else, put out of site, close the curtain, and slide the door shut. Makes it hard for people to know if you're actually in your room.

That said, things are generally safe in the sleepers. Only other sleeper passengers can even enter those cars, so that helps. And most attendants are pretty good about monitoring who's walking around and why.

I use a security lock on my laptop while traveling; it won't stop a determined thief but it keeps the honest people honest. Everything else I just tuck in my carry-on and hide.

Theft is generally not a problem in sleepers. Although some feel safer taking valuable items with them, I think it's generally okay to leave things behind when heading for the diner or PPC, provided they're not sitting out in plain view as "advertising."
Precisely. Out of sight, out of mind! I normally leave the curtain closed on my door at all times, so that no one can see what I might have in the room or, more fundamentally, when I'm out of the room for meals, etc. The potential thief then risks you answering the door when they knock/open to see if the room is occupied. So far, the only one that has gone in is the SCA to drop off/pick up bed linens. No problem there, a nice bit of green works wonders... :D

The good thing about the AT is that everyone is locked on board the train at all times. So, if there is ever a major theft, the thief will still be on board before the train arrives at a place where the thief can escape (unless they get off in the Florence, SC yard). The crew, if ready/willing/able, might have a little time to search.

Hey everyone!

Thanks to reading the forum, I know that the roomette doors don't lock from the outside, so it begs the question: what does one do with their valuables when you're off in the dining car or (in my case) the PPC? Do you just carry them with you wherever you go? Depending on what one carries, that can be quite a load. I'll have my purse with me, maybe a camera and that's about it for things I would consider theft-worthy. On the other hand, one never knows what others consider valuable--people might see my bag of trail mix and be unable to control themselves
laugh.gif

So the two questions I guess I'm asking are these: what do you lug around with you, and do I have to worry about theft in roomettes?

It's pathetic what my mind ruminates about...

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Lace
My experiance a few years ago on SSL #1 I woke up and went to breakfast and managed to leave my wallet in the roomette. I had nothing to tip the waitress that morning so after breakfast I ran back to the room (figure of speech...do not run on a train), and found my wallet sitting on the mattress where I had left it with curtain open and nothing missing. I lucked out. Would I do that again? No.

If your door is shut and the curtain closed, a would-be thief has no idea if you're in the room or not. They'd have to be pretty bold to slide the door open and stick their head in.

Like Whooz, I always carry my camera (can't take a picture if you don't have it with you!), but the rest of it gets left. I'll usually toss it on the seat/bunk and throw something on top of it, but that's about it.

I just normally put everything away and carry my iPhone and camera with me. Frankly I left my wallet behind in my room numerous times on my last trip - tucked into my suitcase and underneath the seat - and then closed the curtain and door. No problems.

However, there is no guarantee so please exercise your own caution and judgement in this scenario. I might carry my purse with me next time around the train.

I travel light, but don't leave anything in the room that is irreplacable. Things that might tempt get put away out of sight and I keep the hallway curtains closed when out of my room.

I've never had any problems with stuff disappearing. :cool:

One trip in the last year a woman lost her wallet. The OBS and fellow passengers searched thoroughly for it until it was found by one of the crew. :p Turned out it fell out of her purse and rolled under one of the seats in a roomette. :eek: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said, I am not concerned with any theft aboard the train very much - especially in the sleepers. The only ones allowed in the sleepers are other sleeper passengers, who have the same problem of non-locking doors. And if a theft did occur, the thief is most likrky still on the train. Not many people get off a moving train at 79 mph!

I just close the door and curtain, and nobody can see in. Many times, I'll just put my computer on my seat or bed and put a pillow or blanket messily on top. Nobody knows what is under there without digging!

I usually have a laptop and camera with me at the very least. I've traveled 10s of thousands of miles in roomettes, and I just hide whatever is valuable in the room (under a pillow, in the closet), draw the curtain and close the door. Never had a problem and don't worry about it.

Click HERE to listen to my electrifying "Missing Bag Story"

And most attendants are pretty good about monitoring who's walking around and why.
Most of the time, yes. However, coach passengers have been known to indulge in self-guided tours. It's usually just innocent curiosity, and the little sign about restricted access doesn't exactly stand out well, so I suppose someone could say he or she didn't notice it.

I recently confronted an older couple standing around my lower-level roomette. They had just opened the family room door and insisted they were lost and trying to find the Sightseer Lounge snack bar. Their explanation: Since it's on the lower level, they were convinced at least one of the cars on the train was where you secured lower-level intercar access -- and been looking in them all. They seemed genuinely confused, but after telling them how to reach their destination, I still let our SCA a few minutes later.

Normally, our SCA would have intercepted them, but he was out collecting someone's lunch for in-room service.

I would not leave your purse in the room at all. Or at least remove your wallet from it. Camera always comes in handy, so that's a must IMHO.

Everything else, put out of site, close the curtain, and slide the door shut. Makes it hard for people to know if you're actually in your room.

That said, things are generally safe in the sleepers. Only other sleeper passengers can even enter those cars, so that helps. And most attendants are pretty good about monitoring who's walking around and why.
Oh, did I make it sound as though I would leave my purse? No, I'd take that along, but I'll be traveling with at least one tote bag that someone could think was a purse. I'm pretty confident that following your directions re the door should suffice. i wouldn't just leave the door open; that just seems like too much of an invitation...

Thanks for the response!

I use a security lock on my laptop while traveling; it won't stop a determined thief but it keeps the honest people honest. Everything else I just tuck in my carry-on and hide.
That was exactly my train of thought--how to keep honest people honest. I decided not to bring my laptop along, so no real time trip report (sorry), only because I'd be afraid for it, and that would get in the way of enjoying my trip.

Just as an aside, I'd never seen one of those locks before. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing it with me, even if I won't have cause to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back