West Coast Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmctrouble

Train Attendant
I want to plan a trip to Seattle for the summer of 2015. I'd like to fly one way and take the California Zephyr the other way. Would you take the train East or West?

You can take the California Zephyr west to Sacramento and change to the

Coast Starlight to Seattle. You will pass through the scenic Rocky Mountains

and the Serriea Nevada Mountains in the daylight.

I prefer the train west-bound because the mountain scenery after Denver is incredible. You can take it either to Sacramento or Emeryville, I prefer Emeryville, less of a walk from train to station and less wait between trains. Just my choice, I would rather be on the train longer and have less of a wait.

Flint, MI - but I'll more than likely be going in and out of Chicago on points and just paying fare to and from Chicago.
If you use points to book a room, those points include business class on the Blue Water from Flint to Chicago (or vice versa). :)

to answer your question (I have traveled several ways SEA-CHI) I would take the Zephyr from Chi to EMY and the CS to SEA. Best scenery in Daylight hours with a good connection. Time to go to SF from EMY (on Amtrak bus, book to SF) for dinner if you like.

Just as a rule of thumb I prefer to take the train on the outbound portion of my trip and fly on the inbound portion... that way if there's an hours long delay on the train, it's cutting into my vacation... instead of making me late for work.

That being said, the view on the California Zephyr and the Coast Starlight is amazing in both directions so don't worry about it too much.

Let us know if you have any other questions or need suggestions on what to do in Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fly out and get the worst part over. Then enjoy your time in the Northwest. Then have a "vacation within a vacation" on the way back on the train. That works well for us.

Sold - CZ/CS to Seattle and then fly back. Thanks for the advice :0)
Great, so your vacation will start as soon as you step on the train and not have to deal with the airport mess so soon. After your vacation, you will be stress free so the airport will not bother you except that you know that your vacation is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back