Wednesday and the LD train is PACKED!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Metropolitan

OBS Chief
Took the day off with a friend to take a little trip down to Alexandria for lunch before returning home. Liking a little novel adventure, we opted to catch the Carolinian as it arrives in ALX just about 11:15, perfect time to beat the Lunch Crowd.

Usually, we'd do something like this on a Friday and make a 3 day weekend, but prices were high on the bookend days, so we rescheduled for a Wednesday. I thought it might be better anyway cause fewer people would be travelling towards Carolina on a Wednesday - WRONG!!!

We got the last pair of seats in our coach when we boarded in Baltimore, and EVERY other seat in the coach was also taken. On our arrival in DC, our coach and the coach behind largely emptied out, and I thought we might fill halfway back up - WRONG - once again, every seat was used by boarding riders in our coach going to everywhere in Carolina under the sun: Rocky Mount, Raleigh, Salisbury, Durham, etc. The coach behind ours had some spots, but I'm sure the dozens of people on the platform in ALX when we got off soaked every one of these up.

A guy sitting in front of me asked if a BC upgrade was available - the Coach attendant advised that it was actually somehow oversold out with 62 tickets for 60 seats.

Phenomonal to me to see this level of ridership on a Wednesday - reaffirms my thoughts that a WAS-ATL day train several hours in front of this one would be a runway success!

I'm actually on 79 now in business class typing this with my iPhone. We were on schedule until Richmond when 89's engine died on the track ahead of us and our first coach car's AC needed repair.

Then we had to wait for two Northbound Amtrak trains after that due to single tracking.

Why did they discontinue the gardenburger? The lack of vegetarian options today sucks. No meatless egg sandwich either. I'm sending a complaint.

Maybe that third train in North Carolina could be stretched to Atlanta and Washington. Instead of copying the Piedmont, it should copy the Carolinian.

Georgia needs to understand what it's missing out on.

I'm actually on 79 now in business class typing this with my iPhone. We were on schedule until Richmond when 89's engine died on the track ahead of us and our first coach car's AC needed repair.
Then we had to wait for two Northbound Amtrak trains after that due to single tracking.

Why did they discontinue the gardenburger? The lack of vegetarian options today sucks. No meatless egg sandwich either. I'm sending a complaint.
on every train i've been on, the gardenburger seems to have been culled from the dining car menu, but there were always a few at the start in the lounge cafe (not the actual gardenburger brand) . I must have eaten about 7 of them over the course of days :( they seemed to always have the enchiladas in the dining car tho)

Last edited by a moderator:
they have been recalled for right now.

We were on schedule until Richmond when 89's engine died on the track ahead of us and our first coach car's AC needed repair.
Wow, yet another engine died while in use!

Ok sorry everyone but I just have to say it...

What being recalled, the gardenburger or the engine?

Ok sorry everyone but I just have to say it...
What being recalled, the gardenburger or the engine?
Gardenburger.

Oddly enough, I heard on my scanner one afternoon while driving on I-95 that the head end of 90 was having problems with the HEP (specifically the amperage climbing and then taking a dive).

The Gardenburgers are actually pretty good and for certain are better than the "7-11" mystery meat burgers the Lounge car offers. Besides, by eating a healthy lunch, you won't feel as guilty savoring that Flat Iron steak at supper :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back