vouchers, etc.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northnorthwest

Service Attendant
Is there a time limit for when you can complain and get a voucher? I was on a 6 hour late train last January, as in January 2013, and at the time I received a call from someone at Amtrak saying sorry and for me to call them back. They gave some reference number, which I wrote down, subsequently lost, and then life continued without dealing with it. Can I still get something for this at this late stage?

Also can you get vouchers or some type of reimbursement for problems with travel during award travel trips?

I don't know the answer to your first question, but yes, you can get a voucher for problems during award travel. What you can't get, in my experience, is a refund of some of the points.

1) It's worth a shot. You may as well call and see if they can do something. If you don't call, it's an automatic no, so you may as well try. :)

2) I don't have experience with this, myself. You'd want to call AGR instead of Amtrak Customer Relations.

I called Customer Relations after my most recent epic on the Empire Builder (including a 6-hour bustitution and a wee-hours arrival into CHI). They gave me a voucher for future travel to be booked within 12 months of the conversation. And yes, it was a points award trip.

That said, they did have to look up the reports for trains I was on (to verify the problems). I'm not saying you wouldn't get a small voucher by calling them, but at this late date, unless you've found your reference number, would they still have that information available to them?

I know they don't do it anymore but I once got a one zone roomette reward immediately refunded right before my eyes on my computer screen. This was a SEA to LA trip. We were bustituted from Santa Barbra to LA due to tunnel work.

All I did was call AGR and say "The bus ride was very uncomfortable and hardly what I'd call 1st class." Then, mere seconds later. ALL my points reappeared. It was glorious.

In September, 2012 I was on an empire Builder train that got delayed by a freight derailment in Montana resulting in a bustitution from Spokane to Seattle. I sent Amtrak an email expressing my disappointment (I got my wife on a train finally and did not want the experience to scare her off). I never received an email response, but a month later I got a $500 travel voucher in the mail. I had used AGR points on the trip. The voucher expired in one year. A year later I had not used it as we took the Zephyr on AGR points and my local Amtrak ticket agent issued an exchange voucher for the $500, extending the expiration by another year. My experience with Amtrak is they try to be very accommodating to get people to come back.

2) I don't have experience with this, myself. You'd want to call AGR instead of Amtrak Customer Relations.
No, you still have to call Customer Relations.
For award travel issues? I figured AGR would be the one to call, since it has to do with points.
That would be logical, wouldn't it? It really doesn't make sense that I get a voucher for future travel when I complain about an award trip, rather than getting points back. After all, when I've complained about service on an airline, the best response I've gotten was to get some frequent-flyer miles. Nevertheless, when I've called AGR to complain, they transfered me to Customer Relations.

Is there a time limit for when you can complain and get a voucher? I was on a 6 hour late train last January, as in January 2013, and at the time I received a call from someone at Amtrak saying sorry and for me to call them back. They gave some reference number, which I wrote down, subsequently lost, and then life continued without dealing with it. Can I still get something for this at this late stage?
I would say no based on that if you got a voucher back in January 2013, it would have expired by now. Add to that, my gut feeling that the "reference number", night have been a voucher number so there was one already in the system.

That would be logical, wouldn't it? It really doesn't make sense that I get a voucher for future travel when I complain about an award trip, rather than getting points back. After all, when I've complained about service on an airline, the best response I've gotten was to get some frequent-flyer miles. Nevertheless, when I've called AGR to complain, they transfered me to Customer Relations.
Good to know. Thank you. :)

You do have to contact Customer Relations for any problems, no matter if it's a paid trip or an award trip. There is no real time limit, provided it's within a reasonable time. Maybe like 6 months or a year.

I doubt you could really complain about "the bad trip and bustitution I had on my trip in April 1987".

No, you still have to call Customer Relations.
For award travel issues? I figured AGR would be the one to call, since it has to do with points.
Nope. After my 30 hour EB delay on an award trip I called AGR and they told me to call customer relations. Customer relations awarded me a generous voucher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back