viewliner direction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CoachSlumber

Is there any consistency to the way they orient a Viewliner sleeper? Am trying to figure out which side roommette 3 will be on. Since almost all the compartments have seats facing both ways, I am wondering if it is just random which end is the "front" of the car.

Every time I have been on a Viewliner Sleeper, the bedroom half was in front and the roomette half was in back. Not sure where that puts roomette 3 though.

Superliner sleepers can go either way and you'll never know until you're on board.

Orentation of Superliner sleepers can be completely random. When I rode on the CS recently they had bedrooms facing the rear on two cars... But facing the front on the third.

Every time I have been on a Viewliner Sleeper, the bedroom half was in front and the roomette half was in back. Not sure where that puts roomette 3 though.
Like Superliner sleepers, I think Viewliner sleeper can be oriented either way. But if the bedrooms are in front, Roomette 3 (and all odd numbered rooms) will be on the right side of the car facing forward (toward the locomotive).

On the Silvers, I cannot remember a time when the bedrooms were not in the front and thus, room 3 would be on the right and the larger seat would be facing forward. When I travel on the Silvers, I always request a odd numbered room (not just because I am odd, I do not like traveling backwards and I do not like sitting next to the toilet).

On the LSL, I distinctly remember the Boston sleeper being oriented with the bedrooms to the rear at least once, but I also remember it having the bedrooms to the front at least once. The bedrooms seem to be to the front on the New York sleepers all the time.

On the Silvers, I cannot remember a time when the bedrooms were not in the front and thus, room 3 would be on the right and the larger seat would be facing forward.
While I realize that technically direction is suppose to be random, I can't remember a single time I have been on a Silver, where the roomette end hasn't faced the dining car.

I have heard that the viewliner sleepers are alway in the same configuration relative the the

dining car because of the exit or vestibule connection. On every viewliner sleeper I have

traveled, room three has been on the right side facing in the direction of the train.

I have heard that the viewliner sleepers are alway in the same configuration relative the thedining car because of the exit or vestibule connection. On every viewliner sleeper I have

traveled, room three has been on the right side facing in the direction of the train.
Thanks, everyone. This is my hope, because I will be eastbound on the Cardinal, and the right side is supposed to be the good one for the gorge.

Almost all of the time, the B-End (end with bedrooms) of a Viewliner will be towards the front of the train. Keeping all of the cars oriented the same direction makes it simpler when trains are in Sunnyside as all trains with Viewliners leave in the southbound direction. Therefore, it would be very surprising if your room is not on the right side. Superliner based trains do not run into this issue since the vestibule is in the same relative location regardless of which end the B-End is on. The only train I can think of that consistently has cars oriented a particular way is Auto Train where the bedrooms are almost always on the north end of the train, not sure if that's the B-End or the A-End on a Superliner...

Almost all of the time, the B-End (end with bedrooms) of a Viewliner will be towards the front of the train. Keeping all of the cars oriented the same direction makes it simpler when trains are in Sunnyside as all trains with Viewliners leave in the southbound direction. Therefore, it would be very surprising if your room is not on the right side. Superliner based trains do not run into this issue since the vestibule is in the same relative location regardless of which end the B-End is on. The only train I can think of that consistently has cars oriented a particular way is Auto Train where the bedrooms are almost always on the north end of the train, not sure if that's the B-End or the A-End on a Superliner...
Great--thanks!

On the Silvers, I cannot remember a time when the bedrooms were not in the front and thus, room 3 would be on the right and the larger seat would be facing forward.
While I realize that technically direction is suppose to be random, I can't remember a single time I have been on a Silver, where the roomette end hasn't faced the dining car
I have heard that the viewliner sleepers are alway in the same configuration relative the thedining car because of the exit or vestibule connection. On every viewliner sleeper I have

These statements seem to contradict themselves. :wacko:

In the summer, the Silvers have the sleepers (and thus the Dining Car) on the rear of the train. During the summer, they are at the front of the train. So thus if the Roomette end was next to the Dining Car, wouldn't the odd/even rooms be switched? :blush:

While I realize that technically direction is suppose to be random, I can't remember a single time I have been on a Silver, where the roomette end hasn't faced the dining car

In the summer, the Silvers have the sleepers (and thus the Dining Car) on the rear of the train. During the summer, they are at the front of the train. So thus if the Roomette end was next to the Dining Car, wouldn't the odd/even rooms be switched? :blush:
That's why I said facing the dining car, not facing the locomotive. And yes, when the Viewliners could be on the rear in the winter, with dining car now in front of them. So, in that case, they are flipped around. and the roomette end is still facing the dining car.

The dining car is ways between the sleepers and the rest of the train, as way to keep the riffraff (aka coach passengers) away.

Except on the EB. When #807/808 is added between CHI and MSP, a coach is behind the #27/28 sleeper. Thus coach passengers have no choice but to pass thru the PDX sleeper to get to the Dining car/SSL/café!

traveled, room three has been on the right side facing in the direction ofthe train.

That's why I said facing the dining car, not facing the locomotive. And yes, when the Viewliners could be on the rear in the winter, with dining car now in front of them. So, in that case, they are flipped around. and the roomette end is still facing the dining car.

The dining car is ways between the sleepers and the rest of the train, as way to keep the riffraff (aka coach passengers) away.
That's not correct. The B-End of the sleepers is always closer to the locomotive, and the B-End of the coaches is always further from the locomotive. I don't recall if the orientation of the diner changes, but I know the lounge goes from B-End forward in summer, to B-End rear in winter. Based on this picture and this picture from RP, it appears they do flip the diner to keep the tables closer to the sleepers, and kitchen towards the lounge. This also keeps the lounge vestibule immediately adjacent to the kitchen for trash to be put out.

traveled, room three has been on the right side facing in the direction ofthe train.

That's not correct. The B-End of the sleepers is always closer to the locomotive, and the B-End of the coaches is always further from the locomotive. I don't recall if the orientation of the diner changes, but I know the lounge goes from B-End forward in summer, to B-End rear in winter. Based on this picture and this picture from RP, it appears they do flip the diner to keep the tables closer to the sleepers, and kitchen towards the lounge. This also keeps the lounge vestibule immediately adjacent to the kitchen for trash to be put out.
I can't quite tell the Viewliner orientation from those two pics you offered. But if they don't flip the Viewliner too, that would put the bedroom end with the diner car, which would violate the requirement that Shanghai mentioned, no?

I can't quite tell the Viewliner orientation from those two pics you offered. But if they don't flip the Viewliner too, that would put the bedroom end with the diner car, which would violate the requirement that Shanghai mentioned, no?
The larger issue is the kitchen relative to the lounge vestibule. Generally they want the kitchen immediately next to that vestibule so that they can use that door to load both cars in the yards, and to be able to put trash off en route away from passengers, as well as access water, etc. Granted this can get messed up, but that's why the lounge runs B-End forward in summer configuration, and B-End rear in winter configuration.

Almost all of the time, the B-End (end with bedrooms) of a Viewliner will be towards the front of the train. Keeping all of the cars oriented the same direction makes it simpler when trains are in Sunnyside as all trains with Viewliners leave in the southbound direction.
Perhaps ths explains why the exception I've seen is the Boston sleeper on the LSL, which does not go to Sunnyside in normal operation, and is probably shuffled between NY and Boston in whatever direction is most convenient at the time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back