Vermonter questions ...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re considering a trip to Vermont in October to enjoy their fall foliage. This is a trip from Texas via the Sunset Limited and Crescent to WAS, staying there a couple of nights, then taking the Vermonter from WAS to WAB. When taking the train I am normally not concerned about luggage since we check the large bag(s) that will go to the next major (or final) destination.

But the Vermonter does not handle checked baggage, although this is a 14-hour trip! I also see a warning that Amtrak limits baggage to two items per passenger which is strictly enforced!! I’m looking for some advice on how best to handle my luggage issue.

Also, what kind of food is served on that LONG 14-hour trip? I understand that Business Class passengers pay for this.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

First off let me say, Upgrade to Business Class for the Vermonter! It has 2x1 seating and it's some of the best seating in the Amtrak fleet.

As far as baggage, although it says strictly enforced, it's not. I've seen passengers bring 5 bags on and nothing was said. Don't fret about your carry on's.

The food is Amfood, Burgers, Dogs, Sandwiches, Salads, and Pizzas. If you choose to upgrade to Business Class, which I suggest you do for this train, Soft Drinks, Coffee, and Tea is included in your ticket.

We’re considering a trip to Vermont in October to enjoy their fall foliage. This is a trip from Texas via the Sunset Limited and Crescent to WAS, staying there a couple of nights, then taking the Vermonter from WAS to WAB. When taking the train I am normally not concerned about luggage since we check the large bag(s) that will go to the next major (or final) destination.
But the Vermonter does not handle checked baggage, although this is a 14-hour trip! I also see a warning that Amtrak limits baggage to two items per passenger which is strictly enforced!! I’m looking for some advice on how best to handle my luggage issue.

Also, what kind of food is served on that LONG 14-hour trip? I understand that Business Class passengers pay for this.
The northbound trip from WAS to WAB is currently 11 hours and 40 minutes on weekdays, 12 hours and 20 minutes on weekends, so it short of 14 hours. Still a long day trip. The train is essentially a NE Regional with Amfleet Is and a cafe car, but the cafe car has the half car BC seating with the nice 3 across wide seats (1x2 and 1x1). It is a long haul for typical cafe car food options, so you may want to think about bringing a prepackaged lunch and snacks with you for more variety than you would have getting both lunch and dinner from the cafe car menu.

I'll be honest, the Cheeseburgers, Dogs, and Pizza aren't that bad. Someone got smart and Amtrak started using Digonarno. I know I didn't spell that right, But for the record, it's not delivery. :lol: I had a Tuscan? Panini when I was riding 66 back in May. Very good, LSA warmed it up and it was pretty good. Summer before I had it on 86 and it was awful. But Amtrak improved it. :)

That's two bags per passenger *plus* purse, pillow, laptop, and any necessary medical equipment (CPAP, wheelchair, etc).

I have actually rarely hit the limit. I'd be more worried about being able to handle all your luggage; they don't necessarily help you.

Thanks to all who responded/replied. Your observations and thoughts are appreciated.

I definitely plan to go Business Class.

One more thing: I see mention of upgraded foods via "Café Acela" on this train. So my stoopid question: what's "Café Acela"?

Thanks again for your thoughts!!!

If you are taking the southbound Vermonter out of WAB, be sure to grab a coffee and a sandwich for lunch from the Green Mountain Coffee visitor center within the station, much better than what you'll find on the train even though the cafe car serves Green Mountain Coffee. In my opinion Waterbury has the nicest station on the Vermonter route- completely restored a few years ago.

If you are taking the southbound Vermonter out of WAB, be sure to grab a coffee and a sandwich for lunch from the Green Mountain Coffee visitor center within the station, much better than what you'll find on the train even though the cafe car serves Green Mountain Coffee. In my opinion Waterbury has the nicest station on the Vermonter route- completely restored a few years ago.
Amtrak no longer serves Green Mountain (as of about 2 years ago). GM abruptly cancelled their contract with Amtrak, I think to focus on their K-cup business. Amtrak now serves a generic restaurant brand coffee of moderately inferior quality IMHO.

The Vermonter doesn't stop in Waterbury. IINM Waterbury is only served by Commuter trains.

The Vermonter doesn't stop in Waterbury. IINM Waterbury is only served by Commuter trains.
Waterbury VT not CT.

Amtrak no longer serves Green Mountain (as of about 2 years ago). GM abruptly cancelled their contract with Amtrak, I think to focus on their K-cup business. Amtrak now serves a generic restaurant brand coffee of moderately inferior quality IMHO.
I thought the Vermonter still served GMCR since Green Mountain is such a well known Vermont brand. Could be wrong though

I thought the Vermonter still served GMCR since Green Mountain is such a well known Vermont brand. Could be wrong though
They can't since GM quit producing the type of filter packs required for use in Amtrak coffee makers, thus the change in coffee vendors.

But the Vermonter does not handle checked baggage, although this is a 14-hour trip!
The Vermonter lost its baggage car? How long ago? Why?
Long time ago. Why? Lack of baggage cars.
It all comes down to money. Vermont stopped paying to staff its stations where checked baggage was offered (none are staffed now, though many have a caretaker). When the staffed stations went away the baggage cars went with it. The same is true for the Ethan Allen Express. Many years ago I was able to grab some pictures of three of them when they were in the pool and working Silver Service. They were pretty sharp.

1800:

Heritage%20Baggage%201800.JPG

1802:

Heritage%20Baggage%20Car%201802-WTH-112704-2.JPG

1852:

Heritage%20Baggage%201852.JPG

Baggage Car Service on the Vermonter and Ethan Allen Express was discontinued in 2002 when every station in the state of Vermont became unstaffed. I went through the timetables to figure that out.

The Adirondack lasted a few more years.

You could take Acela or a regional as far as NY (or maybe New Haven?) and break up the long Vermonter ride.

You could take Acela or a regional as far as NY (or maybe New Haven?) and break up the long Vermonter ride.
New Haven is as far up the Northeast Corridor as the Vermonter goes. If you connect in New Haven you get to see the Solari flip board there. One of the last of its kind in the US.

The Solari Board in New Haven is the replacement block. I haven't been there since May but new displays then were getting installed along the tunnel to the platforms. It's on the replacement block. Newark, Trenton, Philly (Secaucus Junction on NJT has them above all 4 walls of the atrium), Providence also still have them with no signs of replacements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back