Using public restroom with viewliner roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would having the lower bunk made up with the pillow end away from the commode be an option?
My recollection is that the pillow end of the lower bunk is away from the toilet. Isn't the bunk wider at the closet end and narrower at the sink end, and isn't the pillow at the wider end?
Yes. And I believe that's the only way the SCA will make up the bed; pillow at the far end away from the commode.

It honestly depends on the particular person.
Exactly. To build on that, it depends on the traveling party. While I personally will be excited once the new Viewliner sleepers come out without an in-room toilet, my wife and I can share a roomette without any real issue. She actually prefers the Viewliners because of the upper window, and whenever we've gotten a sleeper it's always been a roomette together (we haven't paid for two separate sleeper areas, even with a roomette.)

GML is absolutely correct. The whole toilet thing has generated very strong opinions in both camps. Keep in mind that a roomette is often used by single travelers, as well as for 2 people. That alone creates a huge dividing line......

Let me see if I have the options.

1. Use an in-room toilet that is used only by the occupant(s). Take care of normal bodily functions without embarrassment.

2. Use an in-room toilet that is used only by the occupant(s). Take care of normal bodily functions after asking an acquaintance (who is probably a good friend), if any, to go sightseeing on the train.

3. Use a toilet in another car that has been sullied by who-knows-how-many total strangers of dubious hygiene.

Did I miss any?

Back