Understanding Tier Qualifying Points and Select Executive Level

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly Select doesn't get the Lounge Passes anymore, just two e- coupons for 10% a Discount and 2 Upgrade coupons which are handy for FC Acela if you're on the NEC!!!
Really? I got two lounge passes, 2 10% discount and 2 Upgrade when I hit Select in March. BTW, the lounge passes were a surprise for me. Was not expecting them.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I got two lounge passes, 2 10% discount and 2 Upgrade when I hit Select"

Finally received my package a couple of days ago - took almost a month and 1 week.

I confirm receiving what is listed above.

Discount and upgrade coupons are within your Rewards account. Lounge passes come with upgrade packet in snail mail.

New card seems flimsier than my old one. My previous card was so old it was one that still had magnetic strip on it.

Except for the fact that when it is possible to get 100 tier qualifying points for mere pittance like $8 over and over and over again, it sort of makes it more like the airline thing. It is like the airlines giving 500 points as the minimum if the distance traveled is less than that.
Started thinking about this, and I remember United used to have something like a 400 mile minimum. The shortest scheduled flight they had was the shortest regularly scheduled flight of any of the major airlines. They had an SFO-OAK flight that was technically 13 miles. It only got a few thousand feet off the ground before it had to start its descent. It was technically an SFO-OAK-DEN flight, but one could book the short segment alone. If you only needed one segment or the 400 miles meets the requirement, it might have been possible to just book that one flight, get to SFO one way or another, and then take BART home (depending on where one lived). Or maybe just have a runner with a car to drop off at SFO and then pick up at OAK.

Of course now they also have a pricing component to reaching tier levels. I think the mileage still is the same, but to reach a tier requires dollars be spent. I suppose the price is on the ticket somewhere, because I've bought packages from travel agents where it was hard to decipher any particular cost basis for each service.

500 mile minimum. That is also the basis for the Acela 500 point minimum between designated end points that compete with airlines. The fare used for all dollar amount related computations is exclusive of taxes and fees imposed by entities other than the airline itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back