two trains same zone??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyflag4

Train Attendant
I want to go From Flagstaff to Seattle. First train would be the Southwest Chief. Then I would get on the Coast Starlight to Seattle. This is all one zone. I want to do the roomettes would I have to use separate points for the 2 different trains? I hope I am making this clear.

Next scenario: Same trip I go from Flagstaff to Seattle and then on to Chicago. (3 trains) 2 zones. How would the points work on this if I am wanting roomettes or deluxe bedrooms? Have to use 3 separate sets of points because it involves 3 trains? Everyone has been so helpful here and all of my previous answers have been so informative. I hope I am not making a pest of myself. My husband and I have fallen in love with train travel in the last year. ~Andy

I want to go From Flagstaff to Seattle. First train would be the Southwest Chief. Then I would get on the Coast Starlight to Seattle. This is all one zone. I want to do the roomettes would I have to use separate points for the 2 different trains? I hope I am making this clear.

Next scenario: Same trip I go from Flagstaff to Seattle and then on to Chicago. (3 trains) 2 zones. How would the points work on this if I am wanting roomettes or deluxe bedrooms? Have to use 3 separate sets of points because it involves 3 trains? Everyone has been so helpful here and all of my previous answers have been so informative. I hope I am not making a pest of myself. My husband and I have fallen in love with train travel in the last year. ~Andy
:hi: Since our Resident AGR Guru, the_traveler, seems to be asleep (or riding a Train somewhere! :lol: ) the Answer is: Flagstaff-Seattle 1 Zone, 15,000 AGR Points for Roomette on #3 SWC and #14 CS.

SEA-CHI Would be a 2 Zone AGR Award, if in a Roomette it would be 20,000 Points, a Bedroom would be 30,000 Points.

If you want to do on Continuous Trip you Could Book an Award from FLG-LAX-PDX (Portland)-CHI which would be a 2 Zone Award, a Roomette would be 20,000 Points, a Bedroom 30,000 which is a great Deal, Saves you 15,000 Points! Of Course Sleepers are Hard To Come By on these Trains, you would have to be Flexible in Your Dates. Use Amsnag,( Developed by one of our Members, Paul M,) and Check It Out for Various days!

Last edited by a moderator:
And just to clarify that the 15000 pts for one zone roomette or 20000 pts for two zone roomette covers two passengers, including your meals. It really is a very good deal.

WOW that Portland deal would be super and then would just have to book my husband a 2 zone coach right? Since he would be in the room with me we would just need coach fare for him. Am I correct in in this?

The roomette covers EVERYTHING for two people. No additional coach fare needed for your husband.

Jim in Portland

If you want to do on Continuous Trip you Could Book an Award from FLG-LAX-PDX (Portland)-CHI which would be a 2 Zone Award, a Roomette would be 20,000 Points, a Bedroom 30,000 which is a great Deal, Saves you 15,000 Points! Of Course Sleepers are Hard To Come By on these Trains, you would have to be Flexible in Your Dates. Use Amsnag,( Developed by one of our Members, Paul M,) and Check It Out for Various days!
I'd expect to get some resistance from AGR if I tried to book Flagstaff-Los Angeles-Portland-Chicago as one AGR trip. After all, you could just go directly east on the Southwest Chief. What you might have to do is book your trip not to Chicago, but to Columbus, Wisconsin. Because of Amtrak's limited network and AGR's screwy rules, this trip would be easily bookable. Then buy two coach tickets from Columbus to Chicago. On board the Empire Builder charm the sleeping car attendant into letting you stay in your room to Chicago.

Jimhudson is right about the difficulty in getting sleepers. This is especially true for the Portland sleeper on the Empire Builder.

:hi: Since our Resident AGR Guru, the_traveler, seems to be asleep (or riding a Train somewhere! :lol: )
That answer is neither!
smile.gif
I was involved in my favorite past time - reading the Amtrak timetable!
mosking.gif

There is no same day connection between the CS and EB in SEA. Thus that would be considered a stopover, and since stopovers are not allowed, you would need a 1 zone award from FLG to SEA and a 2 zone award from SEA to CHI. There is a same day connection available from the CS to the EB in PDX (as mentioned).

IF you enter FLG to CHI on amtrak.com, and it gives you a choice of routing FLG-LAX-PDX-CHI, then it could be booked as a 2 zone award. However, I do not believe that would be an option given!
sad.gif
(I believe that you'll only see FLG-CHI on the SWC directly.)

As mentioned, a bedroom AGR award includes the rail fare for 1 or 2 (provided they're named on the reservation), the room and up to 3 meals a day per person (named on the reservation) in the Dining Car ONLY!
biggrin.gif
(Anything purchased in the cafe car must be paid for.)

These are wonderful answers and I love the option of the FLG-LAX-PDX-CHI for the 30,000 points even if we only go as far as Columbus, Wisconsin and then coach on into Chicago it is still a smoking deal. I m so glad to be associated with folks who know all the ins and outs! Thanks so much again. We are going to go coach to Lamy later this summer and spend a few days in Sante Fe so that will give us more points to add to our big extravaganza trips!! We would go coach to LAX sometimes if it wasn't an over night trip (about 9pm in Flag getting into LA about 8am). The scenery would be great. ~Andy

Back