Two questions on Amtrak booking methods

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbburkett

Train Attendant
I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons about why things work the way they do for what I'm about to ask, but I'd really like to know why reservations are set up like this...

(Both questions apply to booking tickets through Amtrak.com)

1. Why does one have to book the multi-city method for certain trips?

Does this just happen when you can not get a same-day connection (like going from FL to Montreal)?

Why can't these be made as "normal" trips as long as the results are clear about the dates and specify there is no same-day connection?

Is there any other reason a multi-city reservation must be done other than a lack of same-day connection?

2. Let's say two different trains are involved for one reservation (a standard trip and NOT multi-city mode). Is there no way to reserve coach on one train and a room/roomette for the other one without having to book them as two separate trips?

(Example...FL to Chicago would be Silver Meteor to DC, then the Capitol Limited to Chicago. To have a room on the Silver line but change to coach on the Limited I'd have to reserve these as two separate trips?)

There's no imminent trip being planned or anything...I've just noticed things like this looking at theoretical trips and am curious about why the on-line reservation system is set up this way (which seems like the long way around to customize a trip).

Thanks for that info Tyler!

It took me a minute but I've figured that one out now. I was thinking the arrows only rotated between the different types of rooms, but with two separate trains I now see where it will also rotate to a coach seat in one train as well as the rooms for the other train...that's good to know. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back