Tunnel Construction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's actually a book on how they pulled off the Big Dig, despite opposition from pretty much everyone with a clue. I can't remember the title. It's subtitled something like "case study of political corruption in megaprojects".

Last edited by a moderator:
There's actually a book on how they pulled off the Big Dig, despite opposition from pretty much everyone with a clue. I can't remember the title. It's subtitled something like "case study of political corruption in megaprojects".
Waiting for the one on the replacement of the eastern part of the San Francisco Bay Bridge. How to spend over 5 Billion dollars on a structure that was first estimated to cost something like 1.2 billion, build it with steel from China because enforcing the "Buy America" requirements cost too much, having a number of quality issues, and on and on. Oh, yeah: No additional capcity except addition of a bike lane that will not get you all the way across the bay, but only between Oakland and Treasure Island. I am sure that there is much more.

The interesting part of the Big Dig study is this. Basically, this was the way the power brokers did it...

First, they decided what they wanted to do.

Second, they lowballed the cost estimate to try to convince more people.

It still looked like a terrible idea for lots of reasons -- it promotes more car usage, so all the environmentalists immediately went after it, including the EPA. It would disrupt the river, etc. etc.

So, third, the power brokers offered to buy off basically every single person or group who complained, and therefore settled all the lawsuits and got positive votes on all of the committees. But they never added up the costs of all these bribes.

Fourth, they issued the construction contracts, so that the money was committed...

...and fifth, they tried to weasel out of the promises they'd made to the environmentalists and other community groups in order to get the positive votes. Resulting in many, many more rounds of lawsuits.

I don't actually think that their method would work again (for a while, at least in that region). The weaseling-out-of-promises part is well known, and as a result it would be impossible to pull off the same sequence again; people would demand the bribes for their groups UP FRONT.

Well, there are some answers now to the endless questions about the tunnel box extension from our guest poster Andrew. Not sure which thread to post this to, because he started so many, but this one has more on-topic posts.

The Environmental Assessment for the concrete casing extension was posted to the FRA website eLibrary last week. Link to the document page: Hudson Yards Concrete Casing Construction Supplemental Environmental Assessment (154 page, 5 MB pdf)

Extended excerpts from the report to summarize the project scope:

The proposed underground concrete casing extension (Extension) involves construction of an underground rectangular structure 605 feet long, between 50 and 65 feet wide and between 27 and 38 feet tall in the Western Rail Yard of the Hudson Yards.

Ok, Amtrak needs to build the extension in 2015 or there could be problems. The positive aspect of the deadline is that it forces Amtrak and all the federal and state agencies involved to fund and get the project done rather than spend 10 years doing studies and getting approvals.

As part of construction of the concrete casing in the Eastern Rail Yard, a portion of LIRR’s Maintenance of Equipment (MOE) building was demolished and the tracks that lead to it, tracks 0 and 1, were temporarily removed from service. The MOE building is scheduled to be substantially complete at the same location by October 2015. Construction of the portion of the Extension under the 11th Avenue bridge would also require tracks 0 and 1 to be taken out of service, thus it is critical to time the Extension construction with the MOE building reconstruction to ensure that these tracks will be placed back in service by the time the MOE building is back in use. Construction of the portion of the Extension under the 11th Avenue bridge must begin by February 2015 to meet the October 2015 deadline to have the MOE building and ancillary tracks 0 and 1 back in service.

Not a simple or small project

No permanent operational components, such as tracks, lighting, ventilation, or electrical systems, would be constructed as part of the proposed action. Minor, temporary systems, such as sump pumps, lighting, and ventilation, would be installed in the casing during construction. The Hudson Yards facility is an active rail yard used by MTA and LIRR for train storage, switching, maintenance, and ancillary LIRR operations. Amtrak would acquire both an easement from MTA for construction of the ROW in the Western Rail Yard and an easement from New York City for the portion of the ROW under the 11th Avenue bridge. Construction of the Extension would require:

 Temporary removal from service of yard tracks 0 and 1 that lead to LIRR’s MOE building for the portion of the Extension under the 11th Avenue bridge. Tracks 0 and 1 are currently out of service and removed due to construction of the concrete casing in the Eastern Rail Yard.

 Temporary relocation and replacement of utilities supported by and under the 11th Avenue bridge (storm/sanitary sewer, electric, water, gas) and signals/communications.

 Excavation of approximately 66,000 cubic yards of soil and 14,000 cubic yards of rock.

 Demolition of LIRR’s Emergency Services Building in the Western Rail Yard, temporary relocation of Emergency Services Building functions, and reconstruction to its original condition following completion of the Extension.

 Demolition of the structural support system (two roadway spans and one pier) for the 11th Avenue bridge along with restriction of traffic over half of the bridge at a time and reconstruction of the bridge supports and restoration of traffic.

 Temporary underpinning of the High Line.

How deep is the concrete casing extension?

The depth of excavation for the Extension varies along the alignment. Excavation for the eastern end of the Extension under the 11th Avenue bridge would reach approximately 60 feet below ground surface (bgs), while excavation at the western end of the Extension (near 30th Street under the High Line) would be between 58 and 70 feet bgs (Gateway Trans-Hudson Partnership, 2013). The newly constructed tunnel for the Number 7 line, which will likely be in service in early 2015 and is operated by MTA New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA), runs approximately 30 feet below the bottom of the proposed Extension for the portion of the Extension beneath the 11th Avenue bridge.
Where will the extension be 65 feet wide (near the west side or underneath the 11th Avenue Viaduct)?

Where will the extension be 65 feet wide (near the west side or underneath the 11th Avenue Viaduct)?
If you read or scan the environmental assessment, you would know everything that we know, since none of the posters here are likely to be design engineers on the project.
However, the diagram on paqe 128 in Attachment 3, shows that the concrete casing extension will expand in size on the western end in a bellmouth shape. I figure that is to create a future working space for someday connecting to the new tunnels coming from under the Hudson River.

PS. You do not have to quote my entire original post to write a simple 1 line question.

One would expect the two tracks to separate out into separate tunnels at the west end so as to approach an at grade crossing free junction with future two tracks (tunnels) to the lower level. I bet they will be building the bellmouths for those near the river's edge. I believe the plan calls for a crossover chamber and then separation into four tracks, somewhat akin to what is now being built at the Plaza interlocking for ESA.

Does this mean that a double X Crossover will be installed near of underneath 12th Avenue?

One would expect the two tracks to separate out into separate tunnels at the west end so as to approach an at grade crossing free junction with future two tracks (tunnels) to the lower level. I bet they will be building the bellmouths for those near the river's edge. I believe the plan calls for a crossover chamber and then separation into four tracks, somewhat akin to what is now being built at the Plaza interlocking for ESA.
Thus, wouldn't the northbound track to the Tunnel Box go through the southbound track--or are you saying that it will cross above the tracks--thus eliminating any crossing conflict?

Thus, wouldn't the northbound track to the Tunnel Box go through the southbound track--or are you saying that it will cross above the tracks--thus eliminating any crossing conflict?
The junction will be crossover conflict free. There will only be a X crossover before the separation of the two pairs of tracks, and this will be in a crossover chamber. The track splits will be in two separate bell mouths. I believe the plans are to put the bell mouths in place when the first set of tracks is built.

The junction will be crossover conflict free. There will only be a X crossover before the separation of the two pairs of tracks, and this will be in a crossover chamber. The track splits will be in two separate bell mouths. I believe the plans are to put the bell mouths in place when the first set of tracks is built.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

But, how will Amtrak (or whoever constructs this piece of infrastructure) be able to build a crossover free junction? (I just thought that there would not be enough space between the end of the future western section of the Concrete Casing and the Hudson River; it appears that a very steep grade would need to be built should separate bell mouths get built to enable a connection to the lower level).

Which means that the actual crossover will perhaps be located underneath the Hudson River? (I mean, it seems that it would be too steep of a grade if the crossover chamber was located underneath 12th Avenue between 29th and 30th streets in Manhattan, and the bell mouths were located on 30th street between 11th and 12th avenues).

This is a bit of speculation since I have not seen anything definitive on this. but I suspect it will be right under the coffer dam that will be set up a rivers edge to facilitate digging of the tunnel from the shore shaft. So it will be under the shoreline, and not quite under the river. I am told that the 2% grade is all you need for it to all work out for connecting to both planned stations. They will certainly not be anywhere near 11th Ave.

Thus, you are confident that this will all work out? Also, from http://www.app.com/story/news/traffic/2014/09/01/sandy-amtrak-tunnels/14928539/

ight of way kept

Amtrak and elected officials from New York and New Jersey took two significant steps to preserve the route for Gateway as a development progresses over Long Island Railroad's Hudson Yards on Manhattan's West Side. Construction is underway on a $185 million tunnel encasement, a concrete structure to ensure the tunnel right-of-way would not be built over.

"If we didn't do it, you could kiss Gateway goodbye," Galloway said. "It took extraordinary level of collaboration, including the developer and the MTA."

Amtrak, the MTA and NJ Transit have applied to the Federal Transit Administration for a $65 million matching grant for another 105-foot long structure to preserve the Gateway route under the 11th Avenue viaduct in Manhattan, Galloway said.

In 2015, Amtrak officials hope to wrap up system design work and advance development beyond the concept stage, Galloway said. Unlike the ARC project, that also means getting support from officials on both sides of the river.

"That involves the support of Albany, Trenton and (New York) city hall," he said.

Thus, it sounds as if Amtrak is very serious about building an interlocking chamber as part of the Gateway Project.

I originally thought that the tunnels would just head into the Concrete Casing--but without any interlocking at all...

Amtrak has stated that they would like to preserve an alignment between Penn Station and the Hudson River by 2018. Does this include excavation for the bell mouths or is the western most part of this alignment that should be done by 2018 only include the western part of this extension at 30th street between 11th and 12th Avenues?

The Amtrak Inspector General's office has posted an audit report dated December 19, 2014 on the tunnel box/concrete casing project that has useful info and good news on the status of the project. First, the ~600' long extension, called project two 11th Avenue, estimated at $66 million, is effectively funded, thanks to a $50 million grant of Sandy mitigation funds from the FRA. Amtrak is awarding a sole source contract to Tutor Perini, the lead contractor for the 800' concrete casing under Hudson Yards, for the extension but they are still hammering out the cost numbers and details. The intent is to award the extension contract in December 2014 so the work can proceed.

The costs for project one, the 800' concrete casing, have risen to $192.7 million, above the $185 million Sandy mitigation grant. But project one appears to be on schedule as there are no complaints on that.

OIG audit report: ACQUISITION AND PROCUREMENT: Gateway Program Projects Have Certain Cost and Schedule Risks. The audit report has redacted cost numbers for Amtrak payment amounts to the LIRR and the cost numbers for the Tutor Perini extension contract as the contract negotiations are not completed.

Some excerpts:

The new funding risk is occurring because the company and the contractor have not agreed to a contract price for project two. The project team planned to award a sole source contract in early December 2014 so the project can be completed by [redacted]. The contractor proposed an 11-month schedule that includes blasting for rock excavation. The contractor’s Vice President noted that the New York Fire Department must approve the proposed blasting plan. He stated that if the blast plan is not approved, the rock excavation will be done with machines, which will take longer than 11 months.
To cover the project costs, the project team now plans to use the following funds instead:

o $50 million grant from the Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013.
FRA approved a $50 million grant agreement with the company on December 4, 2014. The project team presented this option to the Board of Directors in October 2014. The Board approved the plan; the project team submitted a grant agreement to the FRA in November 2014, according to the Chief, Corridor Development, NEC Infrastructure and Investment
Development.

$11 million in matching funds from MTA and New Jersey Transit. On November 19, 2014, MTA authorized $5.5 million for this project; however, New Jersey Transit has not yet authorized funding for this project. According to the Chief, Corridor Development, NEC Infrastructure and Investment Development, if the matching funds are not received, the company plans to reprogram funds from other budgeted fiscal year (FY) 2015 Gateway program activities.
So if NJ Transit does not come through with $5.5 million (which is less than 10% of the project cost and a much smaller percentage of the total of the two phases at $258 million), Amtrak will have to cover it from Gateway capital funds that could be spent advancing the entire Gateway project.

The good news is that, regardless of the challenges facing the entire NEC Gateway project, that around $260 million has been provided to complete a circa 1400' long portion of the tunnels under Manhattan. So in several years a part of the NEC Gateway project can be checked off as done.

edit: tunnel length fix

The Amtrak Inspector General's office has posted an audit report dated December 19, 2014 on the tunnel box/concrete casing project that has useful info and good news on the status of the project. First, the ~600' long extension, called project two 11th Avenue, estimated at $66 million, is effectively funded, thanks to a $50 million grant of Sandy mitigation funds from the FRA. Amtrak is awarding a sole source contract to Tutor Perini, the lead contractor for the 800' concrete casing under Hudson Yards, for the extension but they are still hammering out the cost numbers and details. The intent is to award the extension contract in December 2014 so the work can proceed.

The costs for project one, the 800' concrete casing, have risen to $192.7 million, above the $185 million Sandy mitigation grant. But project one appears to be on schedule as there are no complaints on that.
Tutor Perini is kind of infamous for running over budget. But Amtrak seems to be a little more hardheaded about controlling costs than some of the other organizations which have hired Tutor Perini. (Note the discussion of mass grouting on page 9.) If the excess cost is only $7.7 million, it's probably possible to scrounge that up. Along with the $10.5 million which isn't yet committed for project two.

The question I have is this: having crossed 11th Avenue, are they deep enough that tunnel boring machines could be used from there to New Jersey? Or do they need another cut-and-cover tunnel from there to 12th Avenue?

Tutor Perini is kind of infamous for running over budget. But Amtrak seems to be a little more hardheaded about controlling costs than some of the other organizations which have hired Tutor Perini. (Note the discussion of mass grouting on page 9.) If the excess cost is only $7.7 million, it's probably possible to scrounge that up. Along with the $10.5 million which isn't yet committed for project two.

The question I have is this: having crossed 11th Avenue, are they deep enough that tunnel boring machines could be used from there to New Jersey? Or do they need another cut-and-cover tunnel from there to 12th Avenue?
For a more complete answer to your question, read back in this thread to my post #23 with the link to the EA for the 11 Ave concrete casing extension and the posts that followed in August. The concrete casing extension design has a bellmouth on the western end that is presumably there to connect to a future underground chamber. That chamber will likely will be the receiving space for the tunnel boring machines launched in NJ. Digging out and stabilizing the chamber in landfill soil behind the bulkhead wall could be quite a challenging task.

OK, reading that document the route is odder than I expected. Basically it turns south and terminates at 30th St.

So, yes, there is a whole bunch more cut-and-cover work before the tunnel digging machine could get started. The tunnel has to go under 30th St, still quite close to surface level. And then a big pit has to be dug south of 30th St (it looks like there's a cheap tin building and a bunch of bus layover spots there right now). This would need to be done prior to any redevelopment of *that* block south of 30th St.

This is a good article (with photos) on the background of the funding and the construction of the 800 foot long concrete casing to preserve access to the NYP track level.

Excerpt with more technical content:

The two-tube concrete casing that preserves Amtrak’s right of way under the Hudson Yards development and the Long Island Rail Road yards west of Pennsylvania Station in July 2014, almost a year after construction began. The photograph shows how the parallel tubes, heavily reinforced with steel rods known as rebar, were built in an excavated open cut. A concrete ceiling was later poured over the cut, making the tubes invisible from above. They make a gentle southwesterly curve between 10th and 11th Avenues, leading to West 30th Street, while descending slightly, at a 2 percent slope. Each of the tubes is about 20 feet wide, big enough to accommodate an Amtrak or New Jersey Transit train.

As part the right-of-way project, Amtrak demolished and is rebuilding the Long Island Rail Road equipment maintenance shop where the east end of the concrete casing had to be excavated. When the shop is complete, cars will roll up on elevated tracks with trenches underneath them, permitting inspectors to examine undercarriages while standing up. Flanking platforms will also make it possible to board the cars.

Excavation started predictably with Manhattan schist, the familiar bedrock that underlies much of Manhattan Island. But as crews made their way westward, they encountered a deposit of granite. “We thought that was hard,” said Dennis K. Nazzaro, a vice president of the LiRo Group, construction consultants on the project. Worse was to come: a vein of quartz that made drilling extremely difficult. Mr. Nazzaro showed samples of each.

A bridge carries 11th Avenue over the Long Island Rail Road yards where the current phase of the right-of-way excavation project is taking place. To support the bridge temporarily, Amtrak and its contractor, Tutor Perini, made use of an enormous steel beam, about 120 feet long and 8 feet tall, that had been fabricated a half-century ago for Interstate 95 in Connecticut. It was no longer needed after reconstruction work on that highway.

The article says that the Gateway Project is supposed to get completed by 2040.

Say what? correction: October 14, 2015

An earlier version of this article misstated the year that the Gateway project is scheduled to be completed. It is 2040, not 2025. The Hudson Tunnel project itself is scheduled to be completed by 2025.

Also, earlier today, NJ Transit voted to be the project sponsor the Gateway Project's environmental review. http://www.app.com/story/news/traffic/commuting/2015/10/14/gateway-nj-transit-amtrak/73919032/

The article says that the Gateway Project is supposed to get completed by 2040.

Say what? correction: October 14, 2015

An earlier version of this article misstated the year that the Gateway project is scheduled to be completed. It is 2040, not 2025. The Hudson Tunnel project itself is scheduled to be completed by 2025.

Also, earlier today, NJ Transit voted to be the project sponsor the Gateway Project's environmental review. http://www.app.com/story/news/traffic/commuting/2015/10/14/gateway-nj-transit-amtrak/73919032/
NJT is simply flushing time and money down the toilet by running another one of these senseless and wasteful studies. If we "outlawed" tjhese studies and got right into building the projects, we'd be a lot better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back