Trip through the east

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hippyman

Service Attendant
I just got back from the trip of a lifetime yesterday, and I just thought I'd fill ya'll in on it. It had been a long time, since I had ridden Amtrak, much less for 3 days, but I had a blast. I had to fly out to Tennessee, to get to my condo on time, and after staying a week, took the scenic route back, on the train. I left Texas, on the 17th, and flew to Birmingham to rent a car(wanted to drive thru the smokies
biggrin.gif
.) I even managed to buy a handmade knife, from a Cherokee.(good thing I wasnt flying home)

After a week of being at the foot of the national park, I went back to Birmingham to catch the Crescent. This was probably the best train of the trip. We had a spacious roomette, friendly crew, beautiful scenery, and met people from all over. I have to say, the clubacela lounge, in DC, where we changed trains, was very nice
cool.gif

The next leg of the trip was on the capitol limited. After the crescent, this was a bit of a let down. The room seemed cramped, the train was so unkept, it almost seemed dirty, and it took 10 minutes to get a glass of water in the diner.
sad.gif

Thankfully, the eagle renewed my hope. We were on this train for 24 hours, with a larger roomette, very friendly crew, and excellent food. The only let down was the lack of a sightseer. I had a great time, and I cant wait til my next excursion.

Glad you enjoyed the trip, good to see a few kind words about the poor old Texas Eagle, :) it's my home train and has taken it's share of criticism including from me! ;) Too bad there was no SSL, that happens about once a week, maybe when the Daily CHI-LAX Eagle/Sunset/?? starts it will ge trid of the CCC (replaced by a real diner) and get better equipment, we usually get the tired/old stuff that was on Lincoln'sa funeral train! :help:

I'm just glad I converted someone to train travel. My mother was the only one who could get off for that long, and she had gotten turned off of train travel a long time ago. Her last words were, "where are we going on our next train trip?"
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back