Trip report in pictures from Strasburg

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the fine photos, Jishnu. A very timely advance look, as the Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 will be doing Strasburg following the Amtrak Unlimited 3rd Annual Gathering at Boston. Did you take the shop tour?

Thanks for the fine photos, Jishnu. A very timely advance look, as the Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 will be doing Strasburg following the Amtrak Unlimited 3rd Annual Gathering at Boston. Did you take the shop tour?
You are most welcome. I have taken the shop tour in the past. Did not do so on this trip. This one was a more or less unplanned, spur of the moment, "Gee we have a free afternoon, what would be a fun thing to do" kind of trip. And it turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable. How could it be anything but, when a nice Steam Locomotive was involved? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Strasburg the town in or close to the Pocano Mtns?RF
No - they are quite a distance apart. 3-4 hours by car, probably.

Thanx,I didn't see Strasburg as a staion of Amtraks & wondered about the Museum? As a younger fella, I worked at a resort in the Pocanos called Tamiment & went into Strausburg(spelling???) for a little nitelife!! Those were the days, :D !!! Early 70s!!!

RF

Is Strasburg the town in or close to the Pocono Mtns?RF

Thanx, I didn't see Strasbourg as a station of Amtrak's & wondered about the Museum? As a younger fella, I worked at a resort in the Poconos called Tamiment & went into Strasburg (spelling???) for a little nitelife!! Those were the days, :D !!! Early 70s!!!

RF
Or, could it have been Scranton you went to? It is near the Poconos.

Strasburg isn't served by Amtrak.

Thanks for the pictures. I've taken the steam train and when our children were younger, we spent the night at the Red Caboose Motel.

I've never been to the PA Railroad Museum, but it is on my to-do list.

Thanx, I didn't see Strasbourg as a station of Amtrak's & wondered about the Museum? As a younger fella, I worked at a resort in the Poconos called Tamiment & went into Strasburg (spelling???) for a little nitelife!! Those were the days, :D !!! Early 70s!!!

RF

No, this was years before my Amtrak Days, was just curious as I may have wanted to go back by train today. But, I think it's 2 different cities. Anyways, looks like a great museum, thanx for the photos!!! :)

RF

RF

No, this was years before my Amtrak Days, was just curious as I may have wanted to go back by train today. But, I think it's 2 different cities. Anyways, looks like a great museum, thanx for the photos!!! :)

RF
It's two different cities. You're confusing Strasburg with Stroudsburg, the latter is near Tamiment.

Strasburg is much further south and a bit west off the PA Turnpike.

It's two different cities. You're confusing Strasburg with Stroudsburg, the latter is near Tamiment.
Strasburg is much further south and a bit west off the PA Turnpike.
The Amtrak station that you would go to to get to Starsburg is Lancaster PA, so that is what it is close to. There is an on aain off again plan to build a station in Paradise PA which would potentially become a connecting point between Amtrak and Strasburg Railroad, if it is ever built and if Amtrak decides to stop there. Strasburg Railroad runs its steam trains from Strasburg (what used to be East Strasburg) to Paradise and back.

Stroudsburg OTOH is near Delaware Water Gap, a few miles into Pennsylvania fromwhere I-80 crosses the Delaware River from NJ into PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back