Traveling across America!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to a convention in January that's held in San Jose California, now I could take a flight and get there quickly, ooorrr I can relax and take a train ride across the states! I've taken a good amount of Amtrak trains in the North East to places like Philly, Boston South station, Wilmington (Joe Biden's Station!), and up to Buffalo a few times. Had great experience with the conductors and can have my nice fine wine on the Acela with Style, but with some experience with Lake shore Limited...

I went to a convention this past month in Chicago and taken the lake shore limited which I had a mixed feeling. I've gotten on at Metro North's main train yard station, Croton Harmon and was helped by a very nice assistant conductor, but when I gotten on it went all downhill! I was told promptly (different conductor) to find a seat in a cart filled with NYC passengers, as I was walking down the aisle the conductor followed me with my baggage and I saw no window seats available, so he told me to very incapacitate to find a seat. I sat next to a older lady (She was traveling to Texas by rail hehe), but as the train ride progressed I got uncomfortable since I wanted to rest my head up against the window. I moved my stuff and found a seat in a cart with plenty of seats, but the conductor quickly caught me and dragged me back to where I was sitting. He was super rude and refused my request and told me that "He's the conductor and those are the rules". I had to wait 5 in the morning with no sleep to talk with another conductor and she had no problem with me switching seats.
sad.gif

Coming back I had a good time, made a few friends and was able to get my window seat. Had a nice meal at the diner cart (Those Steak Burgers are to die for!) and was able to have a decent amount sleep. Now I'm ready to take another travel through Amtrak, this time across country and really get to enjoy the ride.. Question is, what is the best way to do this without going crazy?

Of course I'll be taking Lake shore Limited back up to Chicago to catch the California Zephyr, but this time I'll be better prep on how to get a decent ride. I was thinking of booking romettes round trip for the California Zephyr to better enjoy my ride, but the costs are very very expensive. I'll be booking for the 11th of January, leaving Croton Harmon and Arrving at San Jose Thursday the 13th and returning the next week on a Friday the 21st at Croton. Amtrak wants 1055 dollars which is a good chunk of money, but is it worth it? I know my trip will cost much less if I do coach, but traveling that long would worry me with my Lake shore experience of getting stuck. One question is how does the meals work for a Romette passenger? Am I limited to what I can have on the menu, could I order more then one thing? I'm a hungry gal! heheh

Any advise would be helpfully, I really want to take a train, just to make it worth wild and have a happy trip!
wub.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak for east of Chicago, but CHI - SJC is my annual trip, which I just completed. Definitely get a roomette from at least CHI - SJC. Full meals are included from the dining car menu. The portions are generous, so you'll not go hungry. You'll want/need the shower, which is not available to coach passengers - the shower can be priceless!

:hi: Might want to consider riding a regional or Acela down to New York, then Washington, catch the Capitol Ltd. to Chicago, this is a Superliner train, much more comfortable in Coach than the Amfleet cars on the Lake Shore, if you time it right the roomettes, which include all meals in the diner, a was said a shower and also free coffee,juice and bottled water as well as the use of the First Class Lounge in Washington and Chicago, can be as low as $125 for the overnight sleeper. (called Low Bucket!) Definitely worth it for the two nights on the california Zephyr. (and if you have a friend,relative, signifgican other the price covers two, not just you!!!!) ;)

Also worth considering is purchasing a Rail Pass, you can get a 15 day Pass for $389 which covers your rail fare, is good for 8 segments, that would get you the rides from STM-New York-Washington-Chicago-Emeryville,Ca (where the Zephyr ends, it's North Oakland.) Then hop a train down to San Jose. On the return you could catch the Coast Starlite from San Jose to Portland, Empire Builder from Portland-Chicago, Lake Shore Ltd. Chicago back East.

Nice trip, these are popular trains, use AMSNAG :wub: on this site (developed by one of our members Paul M! )to do tests bookings for up to 30 days, it will show you the days the sleepers are the cheapest to the most expensive if you have the flexibility!

Whether you use Amtrak or CalTrain (or an AmBus) you'll arrive at our lovely Diridon Station, where you can connect to local bus or light rail transit to hotels. VTA bus 64 drops you close to the Fairmont, which is hosting a convention during that time; northbound light rail (trains labelled "Mountain View") will take you direct to the convention center. Both leave from (different parts of) the station.

I would certainly recommend a roomette if you can afford it. Much more comfortable and private. Of course, the shower is available too.

I prefer the Lake Shore Limited to New York from Chicago. There is an exceptionally capable and friendly SCA, Tom, on that train. The

arrival time in New York (6:35pm) is most convenient.

I can't speak for east of Chicago, but CHI - SJC is my annual trip, which I just completed. Definitely get a roomette from at least CHI - SJC. Full meals are included from the dining car menu. The portions are generous, so you'll not go hungry. You'll want/need the shower, which is not available to coach passengers - the shower can be priceless!
Any advise on what's the best room to get on the train? Lower or upper level? I heard issues about being near the shower and toilets can be troublesome.

Any advise on what's the best room to get on the train? Lower or upper level? I heard issues about being near the shower and toilets can be troublesome.
I prefer the lower level. I find access to the toilets, shower, and platform door nice. It is also nice not to have a lot of through foot traffic. I spend days in the Sightseer Lounge anyway, so the view doesn't matter all that much to me, not that it was that bad on the lower level anyway.

It is certainly a personal preference, as discussed many times on this forum. Since this is your first trip, go with the flow. Neither level is horrible IMHO, just different.

Whether you use Amtrak or CalTrain (or an AmBus) you'll arrive at our lovely Diridon Station, where you can connect to local bus or light rail transit to hotels. VTA bus 64 drops you close to the Fairmont, which is hosting a convention during that time; northbound light rail (trains labelled "Mountain View") will take you direct to the convention center. Both leave from (different parts of) the station.

Sweet! Somebody from the area!

I'll be staying at the overflow (The San Claire) since prices are way cheaper vs. the main hotel. Would the bus drop me off near the San Claire also? I want to make it easy as possible without taking a taxi or walking to a subway station since I will be carrying a lot of luggage.

It is certainly a personal preference, as discussed many times on this forum. Since this is your first trip, go with the flow. Neither level is horrible IMHO, just different.
Anyway you can provide me with helpfully links? I'm really looking for the best view and less annoyance, so I would be thinking the top would be best. I know each side has a diffrent view, just want to make sure I ge the best out of this trip

Anyway you can provide me with helpfully links? I'm really looking for the best view and less annoyance, so I would be thinking the top would be best. I know each side has a diffrent view, just want to make sure I ge the best out of this trip
As said, it's one or the other. Best views = top level. Less annoyance = lower level (since access between cars is via the upper level only).

"Would the bus drop me off near the San Claire also? I want to make it easy as possible without taking a taxi or walking to a subway station since I will be carrying a lot of luggage."

No. The 64 drops you one bock north of the Fairmont, which is a block north of the Sainte Claire; even though only 2 blocks, they're long ones. To get to the Sainte Claire from Diridon weekdays before 7:15 p.m., use the DASH shuttle (to the Market/San Carlos stop) which is free and stops directly across the street from the hotel. Weekends/after 7 p.m. weeknights, schlep through the station/under the boarding platforms out to the LightRail station and take a Mountain View train two stops north to Convention Center; the hotel is a half-block east on San Carlos. That's easily doable even with luggage.

The station (1935) and the hotel (1926) are both handsome structures designed in the Italian Renaissance style, featuring hand-painted ceiling beams and much use of terra cotta tile...nice bits of history in our modernity-obsessed valley.

Uhhhhhgg these room costs are going super crazy in prices! It was 1450, now 1600 for first class round trip from Croton harmon to San Jose Caliofrnia. I really want roomettes, but with these prices it seem just crazzy to waste this kind of money.

This is the whole run down of how I'm going to travel and prices:

Monday, January 10, 2011

49 Lake Shore Limited (CRT - CHI)

Depart:

4:29 pm, Mon, Jan 10, 2011

Arrive:

9:45 am, Tue, Jan 11, 2011

Duration:

18 hr, 16 min

Amenities

5 California Zephyr (CHI - EMY)

Depart:

2:00 pm, Tue, Jan 11, 2011

Arrive:

4:10 pm, Thu, Jan 13, 2011

Duration:

52 hr, 10 min

Amenities

543 Capitol Corridor (EMY - SJC)

Depart:

5:15 pm, Thu, Jan 13, 2011

Arrive:

6:45 pm, Thu, Jan 13, 2011

Duration:

1 hr, 30 min

Amenities

1 Adult

$213.00

1 Viewliner Roomette

$299.00

1 Superliner Roomette

$362.00

1 Unreserved Coach Seat

Subtotal

$874.00

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

4785 Bus (SJC - OKJ)

Depart:

4:10 am, Tue, Jan 18, 2011

Arrive:

5:55 am, Tue, Jan 18, 2011

Duration:

1 hr, 45 min

522 Capitol Corridor (OKJ - EMY)

Depart:

6:30 am, Tue, Jan 18, 2011

Arrive:

6:38 am, Tue, Jan 18, 2011

Duration:

0 hr, 8 min

Amenities

6 California Zephyr (EMY - CHI)

Depart:

9:10 am, Tue, Jan 18, 2011

Arrive:

2:50 pm, Thu, Jan 20, 2011

Duration:

51 hr, 40 min

Amenities

48 Lake Shore Limited (CHI - CRT)

Depart:

9:30 pm, Thu, Jan 20, 2011

Arrive:

5:33 pm, Fri, Jan 21, 2011

Duration:

19 hr, 3 min

Amenities

1 Adult

$212.00

1 Reserved Thruway Seat

1 Unreserved Coach Seat

1 Superliner Roomette

$267.00

1 Viewliner Roomette

$240.00

Subtotal

$719.00

Terms & Conditions

Total

$1,593.00

Anyway of these "Low Bucket" Prices showing up? Maybe it's because the holiday system that's triggering such high prices? Should I just travel coach and manage 4 days on the train with no shower? Uhhhggg. help me out here :help:

:hi: If you want to save a little $$$ (like $500)consider riding Coach on the LSL to CHI, the sleeper is pretty necessary for the two nights in each direction on the Western trains!

You are correct that the holiday season and the popularity of LD trains is causing SOLD OUT/HIGH BUCKET trains> Ive ridden Coach from CHI-NYP and CHI-ROC on the LSL, its not a hard trip, take a blanket and pillow and whatever you need in the way of snacks etc. for the Coach rides! Think the $500 saved is worth checking into! ;)

:hi: If you want to save a little $$ (like $500)consider riding Coach on the LSL to CHI, the sleeper is pretty necessary for the two nights in each direction on the Western trains!

You are correct that the holiday season and the popularity of LD trains is causing SOLD OUT/HIGH BUCKET trains> Ive ridden Coach from CHI-NYP and CHI-ROC on the LSL, its not a hard trip, take a blanket and pillow and whatever you need in the way of snacks etc. for the Coach rides! Think the $500 saved is worth checking into! ;)

you right, i do have a reservation for 1k including sleepers on the California zepphry, but I would really enjoy just having first class all the way. Would you think the Lake shore have lower price buckets, or the only way it's going to happen if people cancel towards the end? I could always upgrade to a roomette when the offer comes around?

Keep checking every so often online for tickets. You may get lucky and find that someone canceled just before you checked!
wink.gif

If you do see that - AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - book that new reservation at that time! THEN cancel the old reservation! Otherwise, you may find that room gone, and when you go back and try to rebook your old room, you find that gone too! (You may end up having no room or even seat!)
ohmy.gif

As long as you haven't printed the tickets, and cancel the room 7 days in advance, there is NO penalty!
smile.gif

Keep checking every so often online for tickets. You may get lucky and find that someone canceled just before you checked!
wink.gif

If you do see that - AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - book that new reservation at that time! THEN cancel the old reservation! Otherwise, you may find that room gone, and when you go back and try to rebook your old room, you find that gone too! (You may end up having no room or even seat!)
ohmy.gif

As long as you haven't printed the tickets, and cancel the room 7 days in advance, there is NO penalty!
smile.gif

So Purchase my 1059 roundtrip ticket with Roomettes on the California Zephy and wait to see what LSL will drop or not in price? I would do 1500 max, I was thinking of calling up Amtrak Customer Relations and consult over the issue that I originally wanted first class round trip and was quoted at 1449.99, which I wanted. I'm sure they would give in, especially since this is a huge purchase and I've been traveling with amtrak here and there with bad and good expeirnce.

4785 Bus (SJC - OKJ)

Depart:

Arrive:

Duration:

1 hr, 45 min

Depart:

Arrive:

Duration:

0 hr, 8 min

Why are you taking a bus from san jose to oakland, then taking the capitol corridor 1 stop from oakland to Emeryville (an 8 min train trip!) ...???

Just take the capitol corridor straight from san jose!
smile.gif
(It will be shorter, plus, it will probably lower your fare since its one less "leg" in your trip)

4785 Bus (SJC - OKJ)

Depart:

Arrive:

Duration:

1 hr, 45 min

Depart:

Arrive:

Duration:

0 hr, 8 min

Why are you taking a bus from san jose to oakland, then taking the capitol corridor 1 stop from oakland to Emeryville (an 8 min train trip!) ...???

Just take the capitol corridor straight from san jose!
smile.gif
(It will be shorter, plus, it will probably lower your fare since its one less "leg" in your trip)

I'm going to a huge convention in San Jose California and my room at the hotel is only good till Monday, so I'm going to leave my stuff with the hotel over night (or at a friend's room), and stay till the parties (Which end around 2 in the morning). So when I'm done with my party and hopefully be a well behaved girl, I'll catch a 4 in the morning bus right near the hotel and then aboard my first train. I've been planning this for a while, just pissy the prices went up. I want to make this a memorable trip and travel this first class style on Amtrak.

I tell ya, once I aboard at Croton Harmon I'll use those first class powers to the MAX. When I boarded last time the LSL as coach the conductor treated me poorly and forced me to a undesired seat, but when i question about First class/romettee upgrade he changed his attitude to a kind one. haha :giggle:

...so continuing my "helpful SJC station host" performance... If the Corridor arrives on time on Thursday, you'll just barely have time to walk through the tunnel, out of the station and on to the last (7:00 p.m.) DASH shuttle, which would drop you off directly across the street from the Sainte Claire. If you get to the DASH stop (many of our local VTA transit busses hub/connect at the train station, on the north side of the building) and there's no little red/blue bus there and it's after 7, grunt annoyedly and turn around heading back whence you just came, through the tunnel that leads to the platforms, all the way through and out the other side/all the way under the tracks to the VTA light rail station, and board the next northbound ("Mountain View") train, exiting at Convention Center -- 1/2 block west of the Sainte Claire.

Or splurge on a cab, it's pretty close after all, about $5.75 according to http://sanjose.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en

Happy travels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back