Travel writer describes Amtrak trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Travel writer describes Amtrak trip

ABOARD THE EMPIRE BUILDER -- Word spread fast among train fans that a refurbished Empire Builder would hit the rails. When it debuted in August, Amtrak said the passenger liner's run from Chicago to Seattle and Portland would feature sleeker, spruced-up coaches. More like the good old days--in the best possible sense, according to Robert Cross of the Chicago Tribune.

So, why not check it out?

The Empire Builder follows--roughly--the trail blazed by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark during their 1803-1806 exploration of the Western Territories. Lewis and Clark and their Corps of Discovery band of stalwarts overcame a lot of hardships--from suspicious Indians to treacherous mountain passes to tedious diets of undercooked elk. President Thomas Jefferson deemed their project well worth the effort.

Of course, a passenger train is considerably easier on travelers, even luxurious if they don't get picky and hold the train up to Orient Express standards.

Amtrak promised the new Empire Builder would offer clean and comfortable upholstery, fresh paint, brighter lights, modern toilets and showers, and about the only halfway-decent dining you're likely to get on any regularly scheduled cross-country conveyance these days.

I have to admit I'm not much of a train person. I don't commute that way, unless the el counts. I try to take planes anywhere more than 200 miles. So when I arrived at Union Station, I had no idea which door to use.

My cabbie gladly showed the way. Head for the entrance on Canal Street and descend one floor to the Amtrak waiting rooms, he instructed.

There I found ClubAcela, the First-Class lounge. Amtrak (short for "American Track") says Acela stands for "acceleration and excellence." We shall see.

My Webpage

Following the link above,"My Webpage" reveales the full article, but the fact the "travel writer" had to ask his cabbie how to access the station makes me wonder just how intrepid he is! I found the fares mentioned were on the high side too, shame he did not give examples outside the Xmas period!

Ed B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back