Travel Insurance options for multimode (plane, train) trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jshell

Train Attendant
I've got a trip coming up next week that includes a red-eye from Salt Lake to DC (DCA airport) via Charlotte, then I get on the Cardinal (coach) to Staunton VA for two days and then back on the Cardinal (roomette) to Chicago for another couple of days before taking the Zephyr home (sleeper).

Because this trip has gone through a couple of variations (it didn't include Staunton VA initially), I don't have any travel insurance on this trip at all. I know that Amtrak offered it when making my initial purchase but I forgot to get it; and I had it on my initial flight to DCA but not on my new one.

What I'd like is something that covers the whole thing.. Or, just enough.. Without costing too much.

Looking at some travel insurance options, they talk about the "non-refundable" cost of the trip, which is basically my flight to DCA and my lodging in Staunton. Right? The sleepers are refundable as long as I can call Amtrak before my train is set to depart?

I have a two and a half hour window to get from DCA to Alexandria if my flight is on time. That should cover **most** delayed flight situations but I still want the extreme case covered.

Is there a good single plan/provider/option that covers plane (missing my flight to train connection) and rail (ie, coverage in case the Cardinal gets delayed 7 hours again like it did last weekend, or some other major event happens like 188)?

I'm not sure if there's too many that will guarantee that short of connection. The policy I purchased appears to cover my connection from the Canadian to an Air Canada flight back to Winnipeg (to the tune of I'd get $150 if I'm delayed more than 6 hours on the Canadian and I have to spend that much to "catch up" to the trip.) However, most of the policies I found only cover if the delay is more than 6, 12, or some longer range like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back