Trains in the middle of freeways

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New Mexico Railrunner runs a few miles down the median of I-25. After an armored car blew a tire and flipped completely over the median, a few people wondered if this "railroad in the median" business was really a good idea.

The Huey P. Long bridge is being reconstructed to add one additional highway lane on each side. To do this the piers are being widened and an additional truss line added on each side of the current truss. When finished you will have

Truss line - three highway lanes - truss line - two railroad tracks - truss line - three highway lanes - truss line

http://www.timedla.com/bridge/long/overview/

The Huey P. Long bridge is being reconstructed to add one additional highway lane on each side. To do this the piers are being widened and an additional truss line added on each side of the current truss. When finished you will have Truss line - three highway lanes - truss line - two railroad tracks - truss line - three highway lanes - truss line

http://www.timedla.com/bridge/long/overview/
Thanks for the info,long,long,loooooooooooooooong overdue. Its a statement to how well the bridge is built it can take the extra stress and weight.

There aren't any other places I can think of off the top of my head that haven't already been mentioned as far as medians go. But I can think of a few places where interstates and tracks parallel each other and make for good pacing. I-95 and the South Florida Rail Corridor in several spots, I-495 and the Northeast Corridor in Delaware, I-89 and the NECR between Waterbury and Essex Jct...
This is also true at several places for the CHI-STL line and I-55.

The Pacific Surfliner route is in the median of I-5 (San Diego Freeway) for a little over one mile in Camp Pendleton just north of Oceanside.
I didn't think it did so I checked on Google Earth. The tracks run mostly on the ocean side of the I5 crossing under the freeway at two points, but never in the median.

The Pacific Surfliner route is in the median of I-5 (San Diego Freeway) for a little over one mile in Camp Pendleton just north of Oceanside.
I didn't think it did so I checked on Google Earth. The tracks run mostly on the ocean side of the I5 crossing under the freeway at two points, but never in the median.
Google maps show the RR between the NB and SB I-5 here

Google Maps Oceanside Area

Not a typical "median"; but between them just the same.

Google maps show the RR between the NB and SB I-5 here

Google Maps Oceanside Area

Not a typical "median"; but between them just the same.
Aloha

I believe that is well south of Camp Pendelton, as it appears to be right after the GO Yards (I think) but the point that is " the median" appears correct to me.

Aloha
I believe that is well south of Camp Pendelton, as it appears to be right after the GO Yards (I think) but the point that is " the median" appears correct to me.
That section is still part of Pendleton, base housing is surrounding that area. The southern extent of Pendleton is just past this rail section.

Pendleton occupies about 18 miles of I-5; it's a fairly long base.

(with nothing else around and only a few exits, some people call this the unlimited speed zone - cars do go real fast here when there is no traffic, probably an 80+ average)

In Austin the Texas Eagle runs in the median of the MoPac freeway just north of the station for a few miles. Of course we know MoPac was named after the Missouri Pacific Railroad. I wonder how many drivers know that?
Here's a youtube video of the TE on MOPAC.

I drive down Mopac all the time, is the speed limit really 70mph for the Eagle?

In Austin the Texas Eagle runs in the median of the MoPac freeway just north of the station for a few miles. Of course we know MoPac was named after the Missouri Pacific Railroad. I wonder how many drivers know that?
Here's a youtube video of the TE on MOPAC.

I honestly don't know the official speed limit for the Eagle when it's running down Mopac but most of the time #21 is moving right along after it clears the 183/MOPAC interchange. Of course the traffic is usually backed up or barely moving @ 630-7PM when it arrives but if I had to guess based on my ridin g it so many times Id say it runs @ least 70 before slowing as it approaches the underpass with MOPAC/Lake Austin Blvd. which is where the turn to the left on the approach to the station requires a fairly slow speed (maybe 25mph)! #22 usually runs slower on the way North, don't know if its because of slow orders or is SOP but Ive never seen #22 going very fast up MOPAC whether I was on it or driving up MOPAC!

Gee, I only drove this route twice daily to/from work, and still use it about 2-3 times a week, you'd think I'd remember that, must be a Senior moment! How embarrasing, of course you are correct sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back