Train station attendant/station caretaker jobs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if checked baggage could be offered if patrons brought their luggage directly to the baggage car when the Amtrak agent was off duty like was introduced at a couple stations last year (the station names escape me at the moment - one was somewhere in Illinois).
Mt. Pleasant and Ft. Madison, IA and Newton, KS.

The excuse given for originally discontinuing baggage service at these stations was that they were cut back to one agent working 5 days a week. Thus no one to handle baggage two days a week or when they were on vacation. Then Amtrak found some miraculous way for passengers to fill out a baggage ticket and hand the baggage to someone near the baggage car.

The time I did it, someone popped out of the transdorm and took our luggage.

Baggage service was reintroduced at Galesburg, IL at the same time. I'm not sure what the excuse for discontinuing it there because there are at least 3 agent servicing 8 trains per day.

Baggage service was reintroduced at Galesburg, IL at the same time. I'm not sure what the excuse for discontinuing it there because there are at least 3 agent servicing 8 trains per day.
I think the excuse was something to do with the platforms, but the platforms have since been altered...

I think the excuse was something to do with the platforms, but the platforms have since been altered...
Sounds fishy to me.
I'm with you Paul!/I always wondered why with Two Agents on duty and so many Trains, Buses and Vans through GBB there was no checked baggage!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back