Train cancelled... an 8 hour bus ride?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, while the scenery is very nice through the Colorado Rockies, much of the reroute through Wyoming is nice in its own respect. If you've taken the CZ through the Colorado Rockies already, I would personally recommend keeping the trip with the reroute. It's a nice change of pace.
If it were just me doing this trip I'd consider it, but I'm taking my mother on her first ever train trip. :( As it is I'm considering rescheduling.

Last edited by a moderator:
This gentleman's unfortunate situation exemplifies, I think, some of the natural tension of Amtrak's western long-distance routes...is Amtrak's job to get you between two points in a given time span, or to provide a land cruise?
It's unfortunate, but a fact of life, that Amtrak does not own the tracks used on western long-distance routes.

The freight railroads own the tracks.

Hence Amtrak is to often at the mercy of the track owners.

If our federal government was anywhere near approaching being functional, the situation would not be so lame.

So much for getting 'you between 2 points in a given time span'.

But, either by train or bus, Amtrak does provide a land cruise for the fare paid.

Well, there's also the fact that even if Amtrak did own the tracks, regular maintenance closures would still be a thing...though Amtrak could at least plan that work 6-12 months out.

I raise this example to point out the fact that the issue isn't that a given slab of scenery isn't available to the rider. There is a lot more to a train ride on many routes than just the scenery. I think this gets dismissively termed the "experience", but there really is a substantial bundle of amenities that your "standard" LD Amtrak train has which most substitute services do not offer.
This is all true, and arguably even more so when talking about traveling with children.

To the OP: When I've been bustituted for distances of more than an hour or two, Amtrak has always provided a complimentary boxed

meal, even to coach passengers. I couldn't guarantee that in this case, but it's something you may wish to inquire about with Customer

Service in advance.

I raise this example to point out the fact that the issue isn't that a given slab of scenery isn't available to the rider. There is a lot more to a train ride on many routes than just the scenery. I think this gets dismissively termed the "experience", but there really is a substantial bundle of amenities that your "standard" LD Amtrak train has which most substitute services do not offer.
This is all true, and arguably even more so when talking about traveling with children.

To the OP: When I've been bustituted for distances of more than an hour or two, Amtrak has always provided a complimentary boxed

meal, even to coach passengers. I couldn't guarantee that in this case, but it's something you may wish to inquire about with Customer

Service in advance.
As with amtrak, YMMV. I had a 90 minute bustitution during my 30 hour delayed Empire Builder trip (freight derailment) and I did not receive lunch that day - as a sleeper passenger. Since this is a scheduled bustitituion, hopefully customer service will know what is being provided but i would be sure to bring back up snacks.

At least you have a scenic bustitution if you do go ahead and go (sit on the right for the best canyon views).

Service in advance.
When I was a kid I didn't care if I was riding a bus or a train. All I did was stare out at the scenery. I never do anything else on a train or bus other than watch the scenery or sleep. Never did I chat or play. Though I do love the front-row seats on Greyhound, the torture machines have forced me to boycott much of Greyhound's network (with some exceptions).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back