Train 422, train change at San Antonio?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2016 Master Plan, which I found on line, that is still in effect, has Passenger Rail as a future phase. The Council and the Mayor didn't allocate money for rail from what I can determine, but they also didn't kill the VIA 20 year multi-phase plan which I notice includes rehabilitating much of the area around the station. Would be nice when you come to San Antonio to have a nice station. Right now the Sunset Station area is much safer I am told by those who have lived within the city all their lives, but they are hopeful for this project to change the crime on the west side.

Any reason for SAS for San Antonio? I would think SAT would make more sense. Of course I would think HOU would be the obvious abbreviation for Houston and not HOS too.
You're right,but unlike LA which has LAX for both the Airport and Union Station, San Antonio International Airport is SAT, Houston Hobby is HOU and Houston's GHW Bush Intl. is IAH.
IAH is Int'l Airport Houston and Hobby is primarily used for domestic flights. I believe Hobby was named after a former governor. After spending 32 years in the airline industry,I learned that some airport codes have literally nothing to do with the city name. TYS for Knoxville is one that comes to mind-McGhee Tyson Field. GEG for Spokane is another,named after 1 of the 1st military aviators but I don't recall his name of the top of my head.

Any reason for SAS for San Antonio? I would think SAT would make more sense. Of course I would think HOU would be the obvious abbreviation for Houston and not HOS too.
You're right,but unlike LA which has LAX for both the Airport and Union Station, San Antonio International Airport is SAT, Houston Hobby is HOU and Houston's GHW Bush Intl. is IAH.
And Chicago is ORD?! (..actually CHI)

Last edited by a moderator:
ORD comes from the previous name of Orchard. CHI is a surrogate placeholder or wildcard for multiple area airports.

ORD comes from the previous name of Orchard. CHI is a surrogate placeholder or wildcard for multiple area airports.
I thought it was because it was it's O'Hare.

There are a lot of Airport codes that don't resemble the city they stand for. Someone flying to New York, not familiar with the airports may not understand LGA, EWR, or JFK. Those who fly and do not travel by rail become confused with some of Amtrak's codes.

There are a lot of Airport codes that don't resemble the city they stand for. Someone flying to New York, not familiar with the airports may not understand LGA, EWR, or JFK. Those who fly and do not travel by rail become confused with some of Amtrak's codes.
But if you know the airports the codes make sense. SAS only makes sense from a historical perspective. Most non AU regulars wouldn't know what SAS means. Amtrak could change it to SAT and it would be easier for people to figure out (unless SAT is used for some other station).

The HOU code is taken? Ideally Houston's Amtrak would have it.

I thought it was because it was it's O'Hare.
Nope. The ORD is for Orchard. Butch O’Hare was a fighter pilot in WW2.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

There are a lot of Airport codes that don't resemble the city they stand for. Someone flying to New York, not familiar with the airports may not understand LGA, EWR, or JFK.
LGA = Laguardia

EWR = Newark

JFK = John Fitzgerald Kennedy

I'm not seeing the source of confusion. Do country bumpkins expect them all to be named NY1, NY2, NY3? If you can't handle three distinct airports with three different names serving the same metro then you're probably not ready to visit New York.

But if you know the airports the codes make sense. SAS only makes sense from a historical perspective. Most non AU regulars wouldn't know what SAS means. Amtrak could change it to SAT and it would be easier for people to figure out (unless SAT is used for some other station). The HOU code is taken? Ideally Houston's Amtrak would have it.
If you don't travel often there is no reason for you to worry about any of these codes. If you do travel regularly chances are you'll learn the codes subconsciously without even having to think about it. Both the SAT and HOU codes are already taken by actual physical locations where Amtrak does not call. If anything, intentionally giving two completely different locations the exact same reference code would be more vague and confusing.

ORD for O'Hare,named for another service member. CHI is actually the city code. Folks on occasion confuse city codes and airport codes. BAL is another-long ago it was BAL but was changed to BWI for Baltimore-Washington DC Int'l.

It's a city code,not an airport code. As NYC for NY area airports. Not so for LAX though.

SDF for Louisville-Standiford Field. Few get that. OAJ for Jacksonville,NC. O for the county and J for Jacksonville. JAX was in use for Jacksonville,Fl.

How about BOB for Bora Bora.

ORD for O'Hare, named for another service member.
ORD was originally for Orchard and was simply never changed.

CHI is actually the city code. Folks on occasion confuse city codes and airport codes.
&

It's a city code,not an airport code. As NYC for NY area airports. Not so for LAX though.
CHI is a metro code, not a city code. Some of the airports tied to CHI aren't even in Chicago's city limits. Same with NYC, LON, and PAR. Because these codes aren't tied to a specific airport they function as a surrogate or wildcard when searching for available flights.

What does this extensive discussion of airport and station codes have to do with changing trains in San Antonio?
So what exactly do want to know about what happens to train 422 here in San Antonio? If you can think of a question about 422 in San Antonio then feel free to ask it and I'll do my best to find out the answer. If you cannot be bothered to hold up your own end of the 422/SAS conversation then maybe you shouldn't be complaining about the lack of discussion among others.

What does this extensive discussion of airport and station codes have to do with changing trains in San Antonio?
Well, way back, the question was asked about why San Antonio was given SAS as a destination code. The discussion went round and round from there.
default_mosking.gif

ORD for O'Hare, named for another service member.
ORD was originally for Orchard and was simply never changed.

CHI is actually the city code. Folks on occasion confuse city codes and airport codes.
&

CHI is a metro code, not a city code. Some of the airports tied to CHI aren't even in Chicago's city limits. Same with NYC, LON, and PAR. Because these codes aren't tied to a specific airport they function as a surrogate or wildcard when searching for available flights.
CHI is indeed a city code for the airline industry,as NYC is for the New York metro area. There is a difference between city codes and airport codes as I explained earlier. Whether an airport is located within city limits has no bearing on the CITY code.

So what exactly do want to know about what happens to train 422 here in San Antonio? If you can think of a question about 422 in San Antonio then feel free to ask it and I'll do my best to find out the answer. If you cannot be bothered to hold up your own end of the 422/SAS conversation then maybe you shouldn't be complaining about the lack of discussion among others.
Then somebody should change the name of the thread.

Back