Train 3 (4) and the missing coach car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from the fact that I was responding to someone elses tangent about Amfleets, this is my thread - can you hijack your own thread?
I hijack my car every day out of my garage and take it to random places [emoji23]

Last edited by a moderator:
It is amazing to me how topics can be completely hijacked and turned into an totally different topic. I thought this was a discussion about the fourth coach on the Southwest Chief between Chicago and Kansas City and not about Amtrak Amfleet Coaches and Dinettes.

Just to make an on topic comment, the fourth coach has been discontinued as of this weekend since there was only three coaches on the Chicago to KC trains Saturday and tonight and this mornings Chief only had three coaches. I guess we will see tomorrow morning if this was just a weekend reduction of the fourth coach or if the change has already been made.
Today's #3 out of Chicago only had three coaches.

It may be that Amtrak only runs the 4th coach CHI <> Kansas City when either direction between needs the 4th coach ? Gives more time in CHI for preventative maintenance on a coach. Wait a minute can Amtrak be that smart ?

It is amazing to me how topics can be completely hijacked and turned into an totally different topic.
I remember feeling the same way. Back in the early 1990's. In those days forums were called newsgroups and bulletin boards.

Aside from the fact that I was responding to someone elses tangent about Amfleets, this is my thread - can you hijack your own thread?
YouCantOwnAPotato.jpg

Again, all the Am1s say Cafe and all the Am2s say Lounge but this means nothing when it comes to the interior.
Let me draw your attention to the following page with pictures of each of the 25 28xxx cars:

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/locoshots/amfleet2cafe/AMFLEET2CAFE.html

After you have had a chance to carefully peruse all the photos, I wonder if you might want to moderate your categorical statement quoted above a bit, since clearly, at least over time there have been various different markings including *shudder* the marking "Cafe" on some of the 28xxx cars as adequately illustrated in the photos.

Best...

Again, all the Am1s say Cafe and all the Am2s say Lounge but this means nothing when it comes to the interior.
Let me draw your attention to the following page with pictures of each of the 25 28xxx cars:http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/locoshots/amfleet2cafe/AMFLEET2CAFE.html

After you have had a chance to carefully peruse all the photos, I wonder if you might want to moderate your categorical statement quoted above a bit, since clearly, at least over time there have been various different markings including *shudder* the marking "Cafe" on some of the 28xxx cars as adequately illustrated in the photos.

Best...
Fair enough, I was wrong about that particular detail. Good to know. The main point of my response about the Amfleets was to explain the difference in interiors and how the car type description on the exterior is not directly related to any interior configuration.
What's with the sarcasm and smugness? Totally not necessary.

It is also entertaining to see people complain about off topic discussions and then see them eagerly instigate more off topic discussion in the next breath.

It is also entertaining to see people complain about off topic discussions and then see them eagerly instigate more off topic discussion in the next breath.
Welcome to the Internet.
cheers-mate-couldnt.jpg

I just wonder who it is you think is doing that?
I am responding to the posts lamenting how easy it is for a thread to wander off topic that have been steadily trickling in ever since I had the audacity to respond to another poster's off-topic question, as well as the oddly hostile correction to my answer.

But yes, we all know there is an equipment shortage, especially during the summer when ridership surges
I tend to think the shortage of equipment on LD trains this summer is self-inflicted by Anderson. I'm on the Cardinal as I write this and there's no 2nd sleeper, the 4th coach is gone, too. Oh..and they've changed out the Cardinal-only dinette with a work station for the dining section to what is perhaps the former Lakeshore Ltd full Amfleet dinette.
Throw in the Lakeshore is down 2 coaches and 1 sleeper from it's normal summer consist, and I recall reading that the Capitol Ltd is also short a car or two this summer.

And the desired result of all the fewer cars? I'd have to say it's higher fares for everyone on mostly sold out trains. Reduced 'loss' if you're in the accounting department at Amtrak.

Oh...and all the extra money in this years' budget??? One new TLM machine for the 'profitable' NEC. Funny, after riding a good portion of the NEC yesterday, I did not see the other TLMs active at all...not even a surfacing crew as we bounced along like the bad old days of Penn Central!

Anyone see anything using part of the extra budget money for wreck repairs? Oh...never mind... That was spent on the Amfleet I refresh (I like it), and now the Acela refresh...All for NEC equipment only. LD rehab etc? That's probably going to be needed to convert the brand new V II diners to lounge car service only and do away with the existing Amfleet lounges.

Perhaps I'm just too pesimestic. Sorry, but that's the way I see it.
The Lakeshore isn’t going to NYP this summer, so there are no NYP through cars, right? That doesn’t sound like a conspiracy theory.
He didn't say it was a conspiracy theory. And though the LSL has lost a few cars since it stopped running to NYP, the consist is still significantly longer than the Boston section was before they got rid of the New York section. Because of lower demand and to fit into Boston South Station, the Lake Shore lost one coach, one baggage, and one sleeper,
I'd venture to guess the yard/maintenance building is more of an issue then the station...

It should be noted that the Meteor is running pretty regularly with five Coaches this summer. So not all trains have been shortened.

IMHO shortening of the Chief is somewhat suspect because of the other stuff churning around it.

I think Thirdrail had a pretty good explanation of what is behind some of the equipment allocation variances this summer.

Back